Tigerwood X-LS Encores

Uncle Elvis

Re: Tigerwood X-LS Encores
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jan 2022, 12:34 am »
Wow! Those look great. Great build thread.

kwhitman

« Reply #61 on: 25 Jan 2022, 02:28 am »
I headed to the shop this evening and managed to get the 2nd cabinet flush trimmed and rough sanded to a nice smooth transition between the front baffle and the rest of the cabinet.  It is only sanded to 80 grit right now,  so I will have to sand thru the grits to get it down to 120 grit before rounding over the edges.  Then more sanding!  So here is where we are tonight.

« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2022, 04:56 pm by kwhitman »

kwhitman

« Reply #62 on: 30 Jan 2022, 01:13 am »
I finally got back in the shop and got some work done on the 2nd Tigerwood cabinet.  I sanded thru the grits to 120 before rounding over the edges.  After the router work it was back to sanding.  I went from 100, 120,150, and finally 180 grit before it was ready for the Waterlox.  Here is what the cabinet looked like after sanding and before the Waterlox was applied.

kwhitman

« Reply #63 on: 30 Jan 2022, 01:16 am »
This is what the Tigerwood looks when Wet with Waterlox :D

kwhitman

« Reply #64 on: 30 Jan 2022, 01:30 am »
I kept it wet for 10-15 minutes then I let it set up and absorb for another 6-8 minutes before wiping off the excess.  You don't want it to get too tacky before wiping or it gets hard to remove.  Here is what it looks like after removing the excess. 

Now it will set for 24 hours before getting a light scuff sanding with a 320 sanding sponge. I usually wipe with a clean cotton rag, blow it off with compressed air, then wipe everything down with a tack cloth before applying another coat of Waterlox.  Then the cycle repeats until I am pleased with the grain fill and gloss level.

borism

« Reply #65 on: 30 Jan 2022, 02:03 am »
Looks great!

RonP

« Reply #66 on: 30 Jan 2022, 03:25 pm »
Those look pretty stunning wet.

kwhitman

« Reply #67 on: 30 Jan 2022, 11:01 pm »
I agree....makes you wonder about a really high gloss finish :scratch:   It does pop that grain.  Waterlox does come in high gloss and the last few coats could easily be high gloss :D