X MTM Encore build

EdwardT

Re: X MTM Encore build
« Reply #80 on: 17 Apr 2022, 11:50 am »
That veneer is so nice, you'll be pleased with them for a very long time.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #81 on: 18 Apr 2022, 09:28 am »
Varnishing is done now and it’s time to fit out the cabinets

Coreyportelli

« Reply #82 on: 18 Apr 2022, 09:36 am »
Thanks 👍

JWCoffman

« Reply #83 on: 18 Apr 2022, 03:34 pm »
Agreed, you did a nice job highlighting the veneer as well.  I've owned a pair of these for a couple years now and I'm very pleased with them.  You probably already know this, but don't be surprised when they don't sound quite right at first.  Mine took 24 hours of burn-in before they started coming into their own, then they kept getting better and better.
Enjoy!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #84 on: 18 Apr 2022, 07:04 pm »
Agreed, you did a nice job highlighting the veneer as well.  I've owned a pair of these for a couple years now and I'm very pleased with them.  You probably already know this, but don't be surprised when they don't sound quite right at first.  Mine took 24 hours of burn-in before they started coming into their own, then they kept getting better and better.
Enjoy!

Very true.  Danny's speakers take time to burn in.  They might go through a period of sounding bass-light, then another period of sounding bass-heavy, then another period of sounding harsh in the highs.  It's all part of the burn in process and will smooth out over time.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #85 on: 19 Apr 2022, 06:27 am »
👍

Coreyportelli

« Reply #86 on: 20 Apr 2022, 10:50 am »

jonsk2514

« Reply #87 on: 20 Apr 2022, 11:10 am »
The black on top sets off the black of the drivers nicely.

Looking good!

Coreyportelli

« Reply #88 on: 20 Apr 2022, 12:32 pm »
Thanks I’m going to make outriggers with speaker spikes in black as well to keep the theme going.

EdwardT

« Reply #89 on: 20 Apr 2022, 01:43 pm »
That will be really nice, the black accents really tie the drivers into the design. You should probably expect a bit of a love-hate relationship until the capacitors form and the drivers break in; there were days when I totally hated our X-SLS towers before they began to sing their sweet song. And sweet it is, so good I’ve almost forgotten those days when I wanted to burn them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #90 on: 20 Apr 2022, 05:23 pm »
That will be really nice, the black accents really tie the drivers into the design. You should probably expect a bit of a love-hate relationship until the capacitors form and the drivers break in; there were days when I totally hated our X-SLS towers before they began to sing their sweet song. And sweet it is, so good I’ve almost forgotten those days when I wanted to burn them.

One trick I use to burn in new speakers is to put them face to face and invert phase on one speaker (but not the other).  This will let you play pink noise through them at loud volumes and it will mostly just cancel out.  The other thing I do it throw a big blanket over them, that quiets them down even more.  That first 100 hours is pretty brutal if you don't do something like this. 

jonsk2514

« Reply #91 on: 20 Apr 2022, 05:44 pm »
The heads up about the pre-burn-in performance is worth while just so there is no disappointment.

But FWIW - I just played my X-MTMs and enjoyed them from the get-go.  My guess is they have gotten better, but, honestly, not sure I would know the difference given how much better they are from I came from and never having had speakers at this level.   Maybe, because they get use for TV and generally not played overly loud, there wasn’t much to hear in the way of burn-in difference.  They amazed me the day I first plugged them in and, now, a little over a year old they still amaze me.

acfansteve

« Reply #92 on: 21 Apr 2022, 07:39 am »
Looks awesome.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #93 on: 22 Apr 2022, 12:10 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, I need to finish them off with some nice outriggers and spikes

« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2022, 09:45 am by Coreyportelli »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 22 Apr 2022, 02:43 am »
I've used outriggers from Soundocity a few times.   https://soundocity.com/product-category/outriggers/   

Here's some on my N3 towers

They have a number of different options.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #95 on: 8 Aug 2023, 10:26 am »
I just completed a new HiFi stand and I thought I’d post a photo of my setup, I still want to finish the bottoms  of the X MTM Encore’s