Who doesn't use a power conditioner?

Emil

Who doesn't use a power conditioner?
« on: 8 Sep 2020, 06:53 pm »
I've tried Uberbuss, Blue Circle devices and even a Powervar balanced power conditioner and heard no difference with them in the system
Is my electric squeaky clean?  Am I just lucky? Not listening close enough?

I have a dedicated line with Triode Wire Lab cords throughout.

Saturn94

Re: Who doesn't use a power conditioner?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2020, 07:45 pm »
I don’t use one.  I’ve not noticed any issues that would make me think I need one.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2020, 07:53 pm »
I've tried 4 different conditioner and they either did nothing or made things worse.  I live off the grid and my inverter put out very clean power. Also I have 2 dedicated circuits that come straight off the inverter and are grounded directly to my house ground.

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2020, 08:33 pm »
I have one system on a Torus. The rest are on heavy duty Tripplite rackbars. None of them have ever given me any 'problems'. In the system that got the Torus, I just feel as if the sound is relaxed and constant throughout the entire day. The performance before the Torus felt a bit more variable. I also leave my gear powered on 24/7 in 2 of the rigs that gets used everyday, which further helps with things sounding the same every time I use it.

Having things sound the same all day and night long due to the Torus has been much appreciable.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2020, 08:38 pm »
I don't anymore...I use the Zero Surge units instead as protecting from surges is way more important to me. I own 7 of them for various equipment around the house.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2020, 09:17 pm »
I don't anymore...I use the Zero Surge units instead as protecting from surges is way more important to me. I own 7 of them for various equipment around the house.

Is Zero Surge not considered a power conditioner? I use a SurgeX which is the same technology. It provides surge suppression and cleans up the EMI/RFI which is what a power conditioner does.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2020, 09:38 pm »
Is Zero Surge not considered a power conditioner? I use a SurgeX which is the same technology. It provides surge suppression and cleans up the EMI/RFI which is what a power conditioner does.
SurgeX uses Zero Surges patented technology.  While it can clean up the waveform from filtering, no, it's not considered a power conditioner as its primary purpose is to protect from surges.  I use the TSC level too which isn't available to current customers.  I suppose your "power conditioning" would need to be clarified as some would say filtering is a power conditioner.  Either way, they have worked very well for me over the last 10 years.

NoDisco

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2020, 09:39 pm »
I have a ps audio dectet that I use for manley snappers. My musical paradise and woo WA22 prefer the wall. The manleys dislike the wall sockets.

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2020, 10:53 pm »
I would argue that power conditioners, because of their surge protection feature, are essential for nearly everyone, just as auto or homeowner's or medical malpractice insurance is considered essential.  Likewise, just as there are various levels, pricing, and providers for insurance coverage, there are levels of power conditioning. You can spend $10K on a PS Audio P20 or $10 on a Walmart strip outlet or anything in between. 

Years ago, I fried a motherboard. My response was, "Why did that happen? I had surge protection." The computer tech asked me how much I spent on it and I said $20. He laughed. Now I use SurgeX on all 5 of my computer and AV systems.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2020, 11:52 pm »
Since my CD player already have one inside before the power transformer I use nothing more.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2020, 12:05 am »
I run as much as possible off of batteries-- Dodd preamp, Folsom amp, Dodd phono pre.  What is on the grid goes through SurgeX protection.  No power conditioner.  I put one one a Moscode amp once, and couldn't hear an improvement. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2020, 02:00 pm »
A friend brought a PS Audio power conditioner over to my old place (a 50 year old place with a rats nest for wiring and old appliances) maybe 20 years ago and we heard very little difference in the early evening.  Tried a battery powered Ack DAC and Vinnie's original battery powered integrated amps, no apparent power related improvements.  But have heard power aberrations (the technical term for dirty power) at the first audiofest hosted by Steve Deckert after nearby factories shutdown for the weekend. 

At my current house we have near perfect online power: rural; no major industry on our substation; our own transformer; house built in 2005 with all 12 gauge/20amp circuits, whole house surge protector, and and new appliances; audio system has dedicated circuits, grounding, and hospital grade receptacles.  IMO the need for power conditioning is location and time dependent.  So I don't use a power conditioner.

Photon46

« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2020, 02:29 pm »
I own a Cullen circuits modified PS Audio P300, Audience Ar2p, Shunyata MPC-12, PS Audio Dectet, and PS Audio Stellar P3. In no case did any amplifier sound better plugged into any of them. Front end components were an entirely different matter. Every front end component I used with any of the conditioners was improved in varying degrees. In some cases one area of performance was improved at the expense of another parameter. The effects were highly dependent on individual components and as my systems have become more resolving the differences between them are more obvious.

I am using the Shunyata MPC-12 in my second system to condition the power to my AV system and Arcam FMJ cd37 SACD player and DeHavilland or Aloia preamp in my second sound system. It very favorably improves everything including the image fidelity of the Panasonic plasma tv connected to it. The Aloia preamp has a heavy inductive power supply and I still hear an improvement with the Shunyata vs. direct into the wall.

The PS Audio Stellar P3 powers my Luxman D-08u, RCM Sensor Prelude phono stage, and PS Audio BHK preamp. It improves the performance of that system to the point I would consider it absolutely essential to realizing the full potential of everything. Its ability to improve sound staging and resolution is not subtle, it's very apparent.

I'm in a suburban neighborhood with underground utilities, no industrial power consumers in the immediate vicinity.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2020, 04:03 pm »
  Using four dedicated 20A lines from a dedicated Sub Panel and two conditioners. Mono Blocks and Sub Amps plugged directly in wall. Main power Conditioner for preamp and TT. One power Conditioner for Digital on one dedicated line. DEAD quite.

charles

Emil

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2020, 04:15 pm »
  Using four dedicated 20A lines from a dedicated Sub Panel and two conditioners. Mono Blocks and Sub Amps plugged directly in wall. Main power Conditioner for preamp and TT. One power Conditioner for Digital on one dedicated line. DEAD quite.

charles

Now remove all the power conditioners and listen

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2020, 04:52 pm »
  Not even close Emil. So easy to tell the difference. Come on over and hear it for yourself.

charles

F208Frank

« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2022, 06:42 am »
I used to also fall in camp of not using a conditioner, but I recently tried the P3, AQ 1200, and PSM156.

I went with the PSM156 as it was a great product, did not take away dynamics!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2022, 12:30 pm »
Power Conditioner:
In that 'power conditioner' is an undefined term.  It could mean almost any combination of the following.

a)  Noise filter - a low-pass EMI/RFI filter.
b)  Surge protector - although it's better to have surge protection at the home's service entrance.
c)  UPS - note that many UPS's are not really UPS's!
d)  Line voltage adjuster.
e)  Balanced power transformer.
f)  Isolated power transformer.
g) DC blockers.
h) Regenerators (PSAudio)
i)  Power Factor Correction
j)  I forget? But I think that there are more.

With the exceptions of some high-rise apartments, multi-purpose buildings and next-door factories, power conditioners are seldom needed.

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2022, 02:18 pm »
I don't use an actual power conditioner no.

I do have dedicated lines.  I do use a powerbar with surge protection mostly for cable management for my 2 channel setup.

Not against them, but have not yet used one.

rockadanny

« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2022, 04:15 pm »
I do not use one for my power amp.
But do employ a Brick Wall (Zero Surge) PW8R15AUD: 15 amp; 8 isolated by duplex (6 switched, 2 unswitched), for CDP and pre.