GR-Research Speaker Cables build by Rock Ball

borism

Re: GR-Research Speaker Cables build by Rock Ball
« Reply #120 on: 19 Jan 2022, 03:11 pm »
Actually, I think they are made of a beryllium copper alloy (like the Multi Contact LS4 banana plugs) with silver plating. According to Amazon and Ebay they are made by Tuneful Cables in Brooklyn.

Digi-G

« Reply #121 on: 30 Jan 2022, 07:57 pm »
I ordered a 16-strand cable kit but wondering if anyone has tips on feeding the rope thru.  Obviously, I've pushed the wire together to make the center diameter as wide as possible, but I get the rope about a foot and it starts binding.  I'm trying to twist the rope as I go, making it tighter, but again, as soon as the distance gets greater than a foot, not much progress is being made.

I did wrap tape around the rope end to make it more pointed, but the rope is so limp...

(No jokes about my limp rope!)  :duh:

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #122 on: 30 Jan 2022, 08:05 pm »
They guy who makes our power cables uses a drumstick to feed the rope through th ecable. But any sort of rod or dowel should work just fine and make it a lot easier to feed through.

Digi-G

« Reply #123 on: 31 Jan 2022, 05:47 pm »
I think I 've figured it out.  It's a ying and yang thing. 'Push' the rope forward while compressing the braided wire, enlarging the diameter, then pulling the rope.  Maybe 1/2" or 3/4" of gain each time.  So not fast but it's working.

I tried using an aluminum straw as a tool but it just didn't seem to get me anywhere - the rope just compressed instead of moving.

Jaytor

« Reply #124 on: 1 Feb 2022, 05:32 am »
I use a fish tape wire puller. Designed for pulling wires through walls etc. $10 from Amazon it's a long stiff wire coated with slippery plastic and is very easy to thread through even a long length of braided cable. Then connect your rope to the end of the fish tape and pull it through.

Very fast and easy.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KGCCXCZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #125 on: 1 Feb 2022, 02:32 pm »
I've not built these,but seems like a splicing fid might be helpful. Here's a cheapie set. Google will bring lots more.

https://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS-Plastic-Splicing-Fids/dp/B082YC9K3H

Chewbacca

« Reply #126 on: 1 Feb 2022, 02:41 pm »
I had some rubber hose the same diameter of the rope and duct taped it to the end of it. Helped with pulling it through, no doubt.... Then after I got the rope in there nice and good, I decided to make them without the rope, so I pulled them out - in comparison, this type of pulling out was quite easy :lol:

GMG

« Reply #127 on: 10 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm »
Have 2 questions related to this subject:

1. Tube plugs - can they be used to plug into "regular" speaker/amp binding posts that accept banana plugs? or do they only fit into the matching Tube connector

2. China sourced cable - hope this will not be too controversial to ask...   I see a few Chinese sources that can sell direct what looks like identical braided cables. I guess Danny did some sourcing before selecting the one he is using. That said, if I am willing to risk it and try sourcing on my own to reduce the cost as I'm out of budget for my audio this year, what should I be looking at? or as long as it's braided and looks like decent copper I am ok to try

Carlsbad

« Reply #128 on: 10 Feb 2022, 10:56 pm »
I apologize if this question has been answered: 

If building a biwire set of cables is the best way to just buy the 24 wire cable and split it 12 wires to each  connector (speaker end only).   

thanks.

Early B.

« Reply #129 on: 11 Feb 2022, 01:56 am »
1. Tube plugs - can they be used to plug into "regular" speaker/amp binding posts that accept banana plugs?

Yes.

tom739

« Reply #130 on: 11 Feb 2022, 04:40 am »
Hey Early B.
Have you tried the tube plug in regular binding posts? I just tried a new tube plug with 5 different binding posts. On some the fit is a bit loose. It did not feel correct on any of them. I would not use them that way.

Danny, what is your official stance on this? I looked at your tube connector product web page to see if something like this is mentioned, but it is not.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #131 on: 11 Feb 2022, 05:10 am »
Male tube connector ends do technically "fit" into binding posts, some better than others, but it's definitely not a secure connection, especially for a horizontal pair.

The only exception would be a binding post that clamps inwards as it is tightened down, though those are rather uncommon.

Male ends work best with the female tube connectors. But female tube connectors will also accept banana plugs, tho most aren't long enough to touch the that wire connects to the crossover.

GMG

« Reply #132 on: 12 Feb 2022, 10:57 pm »
Does the rope have to be made of cotton or is a paracord (Nylon) also legit?
Also, does it matter if the rope is twisted or braided? most cotton ropes I can find that are thick enough are twisted.

Many thanks!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #133 on: 13 Feb 2022, 04:47 am »
Does the rope have to be made of cotton or is a paracord (Nylon) also legit?
Also, does it matter if the rope is twisted or braided? most cotton ropes I can find that are thick enough are twisted.

Many thanks!
1/2" Cotton rope is the standard as it's what Danny thought aounded best.
My current pair of 16-strand cables has 5/8" polyethylene braided rope that was a pain to feed through, but it works just fine.

You can use any sort of rope you want, or you can leave the rope out altogether and push it together so its expanded with just air on the inside.

The rope we use and sell with the cables is twisted. Some of the early cables that Danny made used 1/4"  braided nylon or polyester rope.

Digi-G

« Reply #134 on: 5 Mar 2022, 07:28 pm »
So, what are the 2" long white sleeves  included with the kit?  There's 8 of them, so I assume they go at each termination end.  What I'm not sure of is will they shrink if / when I put heat to them.  I just tried a hair dryer but it doesn't get very warm.  I've got a torch...

For the record, these are different than the red and white heat shrink to color the termination ends.

Some basic kit instructions would really come in handy.

Thanks to anyone who can help answer.

NoahH

« Reply #135 on: 5 Mar 2022, 08:58 pm »
Yeah - those are indeed to cover the wires after the split. They are heat shrink.

Normally you use a heat gun, which is basically a hair dryer with higher temperature and a narrow nozzle. I would not use a torch.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #136 on: 6 Mar 2022, 06:51 am »
1/2" Cotton rope is the standard as it's what Danny thought aounded best.
My current pair of 16-strand cables has 5/8" polyethylene braided rope that was a pain to feed through, but it works just fine.

You can use any sort of rope you want, or you can leave the rope out altogether and push it together so its expanded with just air on the inside.

The rope we use and sell with the cables is twisted. Some of the early cables that Danny made used 1/4"  braided nylon or polyester rope.
I think you will find that an organic core will sound better than any man made polymer due to the effects of dielectric absorption.  I know that common knowledge dictates that the Teflon insulation is the "barrier" for DA, but in practice the total volume of polymers is the DA sink.  DA smears and blunts transients and then rings leading to a slight lack of focus.  Go ahead give it a try.  Also, if your speaker cables are resting on carpeting of any kind (wool being the worst) raise them up with any non-plastic thing you may have at least 3" above the carpet.  Static and DA at play...

Go ahead.  Give one or both a try.  It's like chicken soup.  It couldn't hurt!  :lol:

Yep.  Me... Carlos  :thumb:

tom739

« Reply #137 on: 6 Mar 2022, 07:00 pm »

Some basic kit instructions would really come in handy.

Thanks to anyone who can help answer.

Yeah, I wonder how many who buy these kits would like some basic instructions included. I know I would. And I am not new to DIY.

Squeaks

« Reply #138 on: 22 May 2022, 04:05 am »
Just would like to say thanks to rock ball and Danny, plus everyone else for tips and tricks. This is the 24 strand, 21’ cut in half with rope and the secret sauce. Tube connectors on one end, banana on the other. I’m never making another pair again, I’ll pay Danny... 😂

Squeaks

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

« Reply #139 on: 25 May 2022, 04:30 am »
Damn straight on the never making another pair again i had no idea id lose 12 plus hours doing this, and that was with an automatic wire stripper. But they are lovely sound great, i dont know how great yet mine aren’t even close to being broke in. Moved, and i decided it was time to repair the severely stripped screws in my speakers, so this is yet another awful project of taking my speakers apart and drilling inserting glueing drilling and inserting again,. Not to mention -unsoldering and soldering all the drivers back to the wiring.
Geese, it is worth it, but sometimes hard to see when you are stuck in the middle of one of these long projects. I forget what good hifi sounds like haven’t had my stereo in over a month.