Fun With Speaker Design

RonP

Re: Fun With Speaker Design
« Reply #20 on: 8 Aug 2020, 01:48 pm »
Ended up going to bed super early last night, so i never got around to finishing this design, so i got it finished early this morning instead. :P

Pretty happy with how it turned out, tbh.

mmm yes!

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 8 Aug 2020, 01:57 pm »
Is there a way to make the bottom section wider and cram a second woofer in there? I'm afraid that a single woofer won't be sufficient, and these floorstanders would require a set of dual servo subs to be exceptional which is costly and consumes a lot of real estate.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 8 Aug 2020, 02:51 pm »
Is there a way to make the bottom section wider and cram a second woofer in there? I'm afraid that a single woofer won't be sufficient, and these floorstanders would require a set of dual servo subs to be exceptional which is costly and consumes a lot of real estate.

Not wider, but definitely Taller!  :thumb:

Specifically #2 or #5/6
#1 would be a separate, inverted Otica that sits sit on top of the Dual H-Frame.
The design of 5/6 would need to be independently powered and reinforced to support the upper sealed Sub.

#4 wont have enough room or volume to fit both Subs. A passive radiator? Maybe.
Aside from #1 none of these subs would work in an OB setup, the waves wouldn't cancel out properly since they're almost perpendicular in this setup.

Ill work on making these designs in SketchUp tomorrow.

Early B.

« Reply #23 on: 8 Aug 2020, 03:06 pm »
Number 1 makes the most sense, in my opinion, for a lot of practical reasons, although #5/6 is badass if the weight could be distributed evenly.

Approximately how tall is #1? 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 8 Aug 2020, 03:14 pm »
Number 1 makes the most sense, in my opinion, for a lot of practical reasons, although #5/6 is badass if the weight could be distributed evenly.

Approximately how tall is #1? 

Yeah from a practical sense, they'd definitely be the easiest to build and would maintain the full OB experience.

Maintaining the strength of the latter design would likely be be the most difficult, but i imagine it'll be doable with a little extra reinforcement at the backs of the side walls.

All these designs should be roughly the same height as the NX-Tremes at ~7 feet tall. With the smaller one being closer to 6 foot.

Argoncat

« Reply #25 on: 8 Aug 2020, 03:50 pm »

A pair of sealed servo 12's not enough?  You must have a great space, jealous..... 

Would these then just use the NX-extreme crossover design?  I really like the single frame object; it has a dominance w/o clutter.  Any thoughts on how side firing subs would function vs. front firing? 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:07 pm »
The basic design is a fusion of the "OB-7 Plus" paired with the NX series design language/drivers etc.

The OB-7 plus used a side-firing woofer as have some other speaker designs I've seen, including PS Audio's AN3 concept speakers..
So long as the main woofers can play down low enough, most sound from fhem should be largely omnidirectional, and unaffected by orientation.

Early B.

« Reply #27 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:25 pm »
A pair of sealed servo 12's not enough?

The idea is to create a full open baffle speaker. A single sealed servo sub will sound different and load the room differently than OB servo subs where you need two on each side for optimal sound.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:45 pm »
Sadly these line-array designs don't allow for OB Subs. They would have to be sealed or an entirely separate H-frame & incerted Otica.
Plus with the perpendicular radiation patter, I doubt OB would be a particularly effective option, given the discussion in the original thread these sketches are originally from.
Otherwide you could turn an OB H-Frame on its side and put the line array on top of that. But i don't think there's a way to make it into a single unit that would look as good...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 10 Aug 2020, 02:56 pm »
Only managed to finish the dual-sub tower yesterday. Still, they definitely have a more commanding presence, and should be roughly the same height as the NX-Tremes.

I wonder if i can design a version that is based around the Line-Force?  :P
Still a shame they cant really use OB subs in a more appealing way... Actually it might still be possible... But only for a line force model. (Dual OB+subs with a slightly smaller line-force integrated on top?)

I still need to work on the inverted Otica with dual Subs, namely the subs' baracing and connecting slope at the back. Tho I'm curious if it would be more beneficial to keep their spaces separated, or as a single volume?

Argoncat

« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2020, 04:58 pm »
A dominant presence for sure!  Getting power cable and input signal to the upper plate amp could be a challenge or result in an unsightly mess of spaghetti.  Could a single plate amp not drive both subs?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2020, 05:31 pm »
A dominant presence for sure!  Getting power cable and input signal to the upper plate amp could be a challenge or result in an unsightly mess of spaghetti.  Could a single plate amp not drive both subs?

I imagine you could use cable clips along the rear brace of the open wing to help keep the wiring as tidy as possible.

Yes and no. In my inverted Otica+ dual sub design, both subs will be powered by a single plate amp.
In the tower, the amp is too far away from the top sub to drive it properly, so it needs its own plate amp.

nrenter

« Reply #32 on: 11 Aug 2020, 09:49 pm »
Any suggestions for a lightweight (aka easy to use and free) 3D design program? I've always had some design ideas I wanted to float by this group, but need a way to visually articulate my thoughts.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 11 Aug 2020, 09:58 pm »
I've just been using SketchUp cuz its has a free version, and its much easier to learn on the fly than most traditional/professional CAD software, like Blender which is also free, but far more robust and has a much steeper learning curve, so its not great for basic design work since it's largely intended for 3D/animation work.

Doublej

« Reply #34 on: 11 Aug 2020, 11:54 pm »
Any suggestions for a lightweight (aka easy to use and free) 3D design program? I've always had some design ideas I wanted to float by this group, but need a way to visually articulate my thoughts.

Would Microsoft Paint 3D that comes with Windows 10 work for your needs?

rolyb

• Love my vintage Hi-Fi
    • My IT Business in CH
« Reply #35 on: 12 Aug 2020, 07:30 am »
I use  Blender.  ( https://www.blender.org/ ).
It's free and very strong and "easy" to use / learn.

roly

Keithh

« Reply #36 on: 12 Aug 2020, 01:32 pm »
Nice designs except for one big problem. Seems like everyone who has built
a wedge shaped servo sub prefers the sound of a H-frame.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 12 Aug 2020, 02:45 pm »
Nice designs except for one big problem. Seems like everyone who has built
a wedge shaped servo sub prefers the sound of a H-frame.

I wouldn't call that a "big problem" tbh, just a difference of perspective. The original idea behind these designs are effeciency of space. Where a full tower + subs would take up too much space
It obv won't be to the same quality level as the H or W Frame subs, but its not trying to compete with them, just work within the confines of the limitations

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:22 pm »
Made progress on the Inverted Otica & dual subs & it's identical in height to the other dual sub tower,  roughly 77" or 7' 5"

The single sub design is closer to 6' 2"
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2020, 01:11 am by Hobbsmeerkat »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 13 Aug 2020, 01:25 am »
So a question for anyone that understands the concept better than i do.
A line source can be made with a series of tweeters/mids in a line so long as they remain close enough to not destructively interfere.
Primary examples being The Infinity IRS V, Genesis 1 and Danny's Line Force. And can also be achieved by using a single, long, continuous driver, not disimilar to those found in Magnapan panels.

My point being, is there a practical minimum length for a multi-driver line source before comb filtering becomes an issue?
I know using two tweeters is bad due to comb filtering, but could you get away with as little as say 6 Neo3s and a pair of Neo10s per tower?

Not quite bookshelf size, but not 5-6 foot tall towers either..
Or is it best to just stick to 1 and done, like the Super Minis?