DIY "upgrade" to MB100?

glt

DIY "upgrade" to MB100?
« on: 20 Oct 2004, 09:08 pm »
Came across this DIY chip up kit using the latest design from National Semiconductor and the fine folks from DIYAUDIO. Seems like a "drop in" replacement to the Le Amp modules I own (same as MB100), both the amp board and the rectifier board. http://www.chipamp.com/lm4780.shtml.

Any comments as to weather this chip is "better" than the old TDA 7294 in the LeAmp/MB100?

Thanks,

Guillermo

(First posted in the norh board, but a member recommended to repost here)

KKM

DIY "upgrade" to MB100?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2004, 03:35 pm »
Your link didn't work, could yoou repost with correct link? thanks

Curt

Re: DIY "upgrade" to MB100?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2004, 09:50 am »
Quote from: glt
Seems like a "drop in" replacement to the Le Amp modules I own (same as MB100), both the amp board and the rectifier board.

Any comments as to weather this chip is "better" than the old TDA 7294 in the LeAmp/MB100?
(First posted in the norh board, but a member recommended to repost here)

To the best of my knowledge there is NO "drop-in" replacement (from any IC manufacturer) for the TDA-7294V that we use in the MB-100 (and that we used in the LeAmp which was an MB-100 private labeled).

National Semi does make some amplifier ICs and we have tried them all (the first in 1996) but we didn't like the way they sounded compared to the TDA7294. They were more SS sounding (harsh) and had very bad clipping effects whever you got near their power limit. The TDAs could output more power, didn't have clipping issues, and sounded very smooth almost tube-like.

The National Semi ICs have different pin-outs from the TDA7294. NS also uses a different type of output stage. The TDA uses MOSFET outputs to achieve its very unique high-end sound.

The more expensive TDA7294 ICs can be hard to find, especially in quantity. If you read the threads at DIA you will see many mention this fact. The National Semi ICs are much cheaper and readily available. Perhaps the availability, cost, and the fact NS ICs were used in the popular DIY Gainclone is why many of the people on that website use the National Semi ICs.

The bottom line is that I don't believe there is a drop-in replacement IC for our MB-100. I also don't believe that any of the National Semi ICs sound as good as the TDA7294 ICs.

BTW: For those interested in MB-100s they are a high-end best buy at $538 per pair (free delivery to your door in U.S.). They are in stock now at our Sales, Distribution, and Service Center in Charlotte North Carolina.

glt

DIY "upgrade" to MB100?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2004, 02:46 am »
Curt, thanks for sharing your experiences with the NS chips. What I meant was "replacing the entire module" ie taking it off the heatsink, that way you can try the NS module (and rectifier board) and if you did not like it, putting the original module back. It seems that in most of these chipamps, the most expensive part is the case, transformer and heatsink...

Regards,

Guillermo

Curt

DIY "upgrade" to MB100?
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2004, 09:02 am »
Quote from: glt
What I meant was "replacing the entire module" ie taking it off the heatsink, that way you can try the NS module (and rectifier board) and if you did not like it, putting the original module back. It seems that in most of these chipamps, the most expensive part is the case, transformer and heatsink...

Yes, this is 100% true. You can experiment like this all you want without hurting the MB-100 (in case you wanted to put it back to its original state).

Which brings up an interesting  point:

If any DIYrs are interested in MB-100s without the amplifier pcb, i.e. just the case, cord, packaging, and power supply (fully assembled and tested), IRD would most likely be able to accommodate them. Particularly if it was a group buy.

The MB-100 is a proven, strong, powerful system with +/- 40V @ 10A rails, a very good base to start a DIY amplifier project from.

Have fun experimenting, after all that's what the hobby is all about.

glt

Perhaps you could contact the owner of chipamp.com
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2004, 05:34 am »
He sells the NS boards (including the PS boards) and parts for $50 a set. The cases would have to obtained elsewhere...

Regards,

Guillermo