Frequent Error 05 on BDP-1

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Frequent Error 05 on BDP-1
« Reply #20 on: 1 Sep 2017, 09:00 am »
Hi Zoom

I use a 20 Amp BIT in my Room 1 and have everything including the video projector plugged in (see photo) with no issues at all. 

Computers are notorious for their cheap excessively noisy power supplies (that's one of the reasons we use linear supplies in our BDP Digital Player products) so depending on the quality of the supply in your projector that would be the determining factor.

james

zoom25

« Reply #21 on: 1 Sep 2017, 04:15 pm »
That's good to know that a single 20 can power it all. I was thinking of something like an Oppo for a Blu ray player with its clean toroid. How do you find the power supplies of HDTV's in general nowadays? Noisy? I have a few mid range 60" Samsung. I've always wondered about this from an audio perspective.

BTW, the BDP-1 got Error 05 sometime last night. This time with no iMac or other switching stuff. It does feel disappointing. I'll try and plug the BDP-1 outside to confirm if it's the Torus or if the power really did get bad all of a sudden.

zoom25

« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2017, 06:50 pm »
Just wanted to update you.

Since Sep 1st, I moved the BDP-1 from the Torus to the power strip. I've had zero problems with error codes since immediately switching that day.

Last Friday (Sep 22), I got a bunch of 14 AWG shielded cables for everything whether they needed it or not, including the BDP-1. Since I was rearranging it, I thought why not try the BDP-1 back on the Torus. I've had it on since Friday and zero error codes. It's working perfectly (so far). I'm very happy.  :thumb:

However, that got me thinking what could have been the issue before with the Torus/Bryston combo?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2017, 06:55 pm »
Just wanted to update you.

Since Sep 1st, I moved the BDP-1 from the Torus to the power strip. I've had zero problems with error codes since immediately switching that day.

Last Friday (Sep 22), I got a bunch of 14 AWG shielded cables for everything whether they needed it or not, including the BDP-1. Since I was rearranging it, I thought why not try the BDP-1 back on the Torus. I've had it on since Friday and zero error codes. It's working perfectly (so far). I'm very happy.  :thumb:

However, that got me thinking what could have been the issue before with the Torus/Bryston combo?

Sometimes merely unplugging and then re-plugging my BDP-1 causes everything to work smoothly again -- a "reset" or something?

zoom25

« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:02 pm »
Sometimes merely unplugging and then re-plugging my BDP-1 causes everything to work smoothly again -- a "reset" or something?

No, I had done that multiple times in two rooms. It was crashing daily, sometimes twice. The cables at the time were the same whether it was on Torus or not. The Torus had 14 AWG unshielded stock cable that came with the unit. The rest of the gear had 18 AWG cables. All other gear connected to Torus didn't have any problems. It was only the BDP-1 that kept having the problem.

I accounted for those things. The only other difference is that BDP-1's been in Roon mode this time with the Torus.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:10 pm »
Weird. Goblins. Poltergeists in the Moose.....  :roll:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #26 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:22 pm »
No, I had done that multiple times in two rooms. It was crashing daily, sometimes twice. The cables at the time were the same whether it was on Torus or not. The Torus had 14 AWG unshielded stock cable that came with the unit. The rest of the gear had 18 AWG cables. All other gear connected to Torus didn't have any problems. It was only the BDP-1 that kept having the problem.

I accounted for those things. The only other difference is that BDP-1's been in Roon mode this time with the Torus.

Playback method really should have any effect on the power supply, however if you had bus powered hard drives plugged in and now no longer have any bus powered hard drives plugged in then perhaps this could be why.

zoom25

« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:25 pm »
Weird. Goblins. Poltergeists in the Moose.....  :roll:

Yeah, very strange indeed.

LMFAOO recently I was watching some horror and as typical there was light flickering. I was thinking to myself that if these guys had Torus AVR in their homes, the paranormal would get give up after awhile, get depressed and leave. I think audiophiles would be well suited fighting them. Everything shielded. UPS for backups. Blasting glorious MQA all day long  :lol: :lol:

zoom25

« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:26 pm »
Playback method really should have any effect on the power supply, however if you had bus powered hard drives plugged in and now no longer have any bus powered hard drives plugged in then perhaps this could be why.

In the past two years, I always used a portable WD hard drive and it never caused a problem. However, even that doesn't matter as during that time, I had my hard drives connected to an external power hub.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 28 Sep 2017, 08:10 pm »
Yeah, very strange indeed.

LMFAOO recently I was watching some horror and as typical there was light flickering. I was thinking to myself that if these guys had Torus AVR in their homes, the paranormal would get give up after awhile, get depressed and leave. I think audiophiles would be well suited fighting them. Everything shielded. UPS for backups. Blasting glorious MQA all day long :lol: :lol:

....and drinking Kool-Aid all along.... :lol: :lol: :green:

zoom25

« Reply #30 on: 29 Sep 2017, 05:06 pm »
Okay, I think I might know the reason for the Error 05 on the Torus.

I woke up to an Error 05 this morning. It happened sometime last night. It has nothing do with the cables.

Until last evening, I was powering the ethernet switch from the BDP-1's USB output. Last evening, I decided to power the ethernet switch from another power. So the BDP-1 wasn't powering anything. Similarly, in August, I was using an external USB hub to connect to the BDP-1. I kept getting error 05. The BDP-1 at that time also wasn't powering the drives.

If the Torus does supply high power from time to time, perhaps this can be offset by having something plugged into the BDP-1. So powering the switch from the BDP-1 perhaps acted as a buffer?

I rebooted the BDP-1 and will keep things off the BDP-1. Let's see if it results in error code 05 again.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #31 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:13 pm »
Okay, I think I might know the reason for the Error 05 on the Torus.

I woke up to an Error 05 this morning. It happened sometime last night. It has nothing do with the cables.

Until last evening, I was powering the ethernet switch from the BDP-1's USB output. Last evening, I decided to power the ethernet switch from another power. So the BDP-1 wasn't powering anything. Similarly, in August, I was using an external USB hub to connect to the BDP-1. I kept getting error 05. The BDP-1 at that time also wasn't powering the drives.

If the Torus does supply high power from time to time, perhaps this can be offset by having something plugged into the BDP-1. So powering the switch from the BDP-1 perhaps acted as a buffer?

I rebooted the BDP-1 and will keep things off the BDP-1. Let's see if it results in error code 05 again.

powering things off the bdp-1 places more load on the BDP-1's transformer and thus lowers its output voltage and decreases the chance of the Error 05 message (high voltage),  but increases the chance the of error 04 (low voltage).

Chris

zoom25

« Reply #32 on: 30 Sep 2017, 06:51 pm »
powering things off the bdp-1 places more load on the BDP-1's transformer and thus lowers its output voltage and decreases the chance of the Error 05 message (high voltage),  but increases the chance the of error 04 (low voltage).

Chris

Yeah, that makes sense. I got it again last night "Error 05 220", sometime after 2-3 PM.