Video editing software

mgalusha

Video editing software
« on: 22 Jun 2014, 03:32 am »
Yep, I know, not a question about still photography but I suspect the folks who haunt this circle will have the most experience. :)

I am trying to find a decent, not horribly expensive video editing package for Windows. I have use Microsoft's Movie Maker and sometimes it works OK. On the latest video I tried to edit, the output flickers like the light level is changing and blotchy artifacts appear every few seconds, essentially unwatchable. I've done a couple others previously and didn't have the same problem. Various output settings seem to produce basically the same crappy output. The original files play just fine in the default Windows media player and VLC. I shot the video with a Fuji FinePix HS20EXR, which is primarily a still camera but takes pretty decent video. The original is resolution 1280x720, which is the output format after editing out the really boring bits.

I've read a lot of lists and reviews and it seems every list has a different favorite. If any of my AC friends have experience with any Windows video programs I'd love to read your thoughts, positive or negative.

mike

gnuyork

Re: Video editing software
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2014, 10:52 am »
I am a video editor by profession. I use the apple platform and use Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere on occasion. They make a version of Premiere for Windows. Unfortunately they have moved to a cloud bases subscription for their software license - yep a monthly fee.  :cry:

Perhaps some of your issues relate to Movie maker doing a poor conversion of the source file. Does Movie maker even allow you to edit the Fugi movies natively or does it need to do a transcode? If that's the case, perhaps doing the transcode in a different software... I really don't know, I have zero experience with editing on the windows platform, but most issues are mostly due to settings not being right or user error. If you can give Movie maker the file it likes, I am sure it should be able to output your video just fine.

From the previous projects you have done and turned out just fine, were they the fugi movie files or something different?