Coupling 626rs to hardwood-suggestions?-

Jamesta

« on: 27 Jan 2003, 01:15 pm »
All-

Due to a recent room change, I'll be needing to put my 626rs on hard wood floors. Currently I have the speakers set up on 24" Sound Organization stands with spikes about a 1/2 inch from the carpet. I definitly do not want to scratch the floors which is why I'm seeking advice. What is the best route to take here? Should i just place discs under the spikes? I know that Big B has always been a big proponent of placing the speakers directly to the floor, does this apply to stand mounted speakers as well? Should I just do without the spikes? If so, what should i place under the speaker stands?

Yes, yes I know, trial and error is key etc. I don't really care to shill out a hundred bucks for some gee-wiz discs unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks in Advance!

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2003, 02:19 pm »
i read once were he said he likes the 626 on a solid stand not a metal frame one. somthing about the bass wave traveling down the face of the stand i think.i built my stands the way he discribed even though i dont use vmps mains- just a large sub

Jamesta

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2003, 02:34 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
i read once were he said he likes the 626 on a solid stand not a metal frame one. somthing about the bass wave traveling down the face of the stand i think.i built my stands the way he discribed even though i dont use vmps mains- just a large sub

-Roscony

Thanks for the reply.  How exactly did you construct the stands?  Also how do you have them "grounded"?  Spikes, etc?

Audio Al

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2003, 05:19 pm »
Hi,
The least expensive protective discs I found are at music direct.  They are $3 each and work just fine.  Here's the link
http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AASDISC

Al

Ferdi

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2003, 10:06 pm »
I don't have VMPS but share this problem.

I use 2 different ways of protecting my floor:
- glass plates stuck to the floor with blu-tac (actually, the stuff I can get in Europe is white, somewhat lighter sounding :mrgreen: )
- Place large/heavy coins under each of the speaker spikes. With the introduction of the Euro a year ago, I still have a large collection of coins with no value. I especially like Belgian Franks. Nice size and thickness.

I haven't found any difference between these solutions.