The Upgrade Company threatens Audioholics forum

mclsound

The Upgrade Company threatens Audioholics forum
« on: 17 Apr 2010, 02:10 am »
I was on AVS forum which led me to Audioholics forum where TUC had his lawyer send a letter to the administrator and now he started a page with the letter and said bring it on!
TUC is something else!!

mcullinan

Re: The Upgrade Company threatens Audioholics forum
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2010, 02:14 am »
Links!

srb

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2010, 03:34 am »
This is the topic where legal action is threatened:
The Upgrade Company Threatened Audioholics with Legal Action
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64827&highlight=upgrade+company

And I believe this is the original topic that it was referring to:
The Upgrade Company is a Sham?
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61665

Steve

gerald porzio

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2010, 03:57 am »
IMO, I don't see Audioholics backing down anymore than Blue Jeans did when threatened by Monster whose resources dwarf those of the Upgrade Co.

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:15 am »
From the link:

"What parts are changed? What does an "upgrade" consist of?

Asking Upgrade Company LLC to divulge our details of the upgrade ahead of time in an email or telephone conversation without paying for the upgrade is the same thing as giving part of the upgrade away for free.
We are a business. A very successful business. We do not give critical important details such as the parts we use away for free in an email or telephone discussion. For free you ask? Asking for key upgrade details for free ahead of time is essentially stealing."

I wonder if the Upgrade Company does indeed completely divulges exact details of their mods to their customers AFTER they pay for it ??  I've spoken to some of their customers, and they still didn't know much, if any, details of what they bought  :scratch:

toobwacky

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:30 am »
This is a very poor reflection upon The Upgrade Company. 

This story is circulating all over the web and due to the bad publicity they are getting their threatened lawsuit is apparently backfiring on them.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!! :thumb: :green: :thumb:

wilsynet

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:21 am »
Should l this topic be banned according to the "no dirty laundry" policy of AudioCircle?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2010, 01:02 pm »
Doesn't dirty laundry refer to personal matters between members? This story looks more like industry news.

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2010, 01:06 pm »
I don't see this as violating the no dirty laundry policy.
I also would not like to see any bashing of the UGC.
Opinions fine.

Whitese

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2010, 01:29 pm »
LOL..military secret parts...shouldnt this guy be in jail?

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2010, 01:36 pm »
Although I do think that Audioholics is a bunch of shills that's funny stuff.

Photon46

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2010, 02:14 pm »
While I can understand Upgrade's policy relative to the concept of intellectual property rights, I think that in the long run, it's a poor customer relations policy that probably does more harm than good to them. In past correspondence with the Upgrade Co., I found them to have a rather shrill and paranoid demeanor that turned me off big time. I contacted a number of after market mod companies and all the others were upfront and forthright about what they'd do at what price. My advice to the Upgrade company would be to rethink their secretive and contentious public relations policy. However, if what's worked in the past is still working for them, who am I to say?

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2010, 02:43 pm »
Its odd that the Upgrade Company threatened Audioholics but not AVS (perhaps they did?).  AVS is the forum with the thread in which many individuals bashed the snot out of that company. 

I have no experience with this company, but from what I read they are ripping people off.  Who knows, though...

gerald porzio

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2010, 03:36 pm »
The more people they sue, the more it'll cost them. IMO, the suit will probably be dismissed as having no merit. However, given the cost of their upgrades, they may decide that it pays to play.

MaxCast

« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2010, 04:28 pm »
I've seen one guy post that Audioholics are shills and a couple of other guys bash the Upgrade Company.  Also, this was a fight that originated elsewhere.

How is this different than this other thread that was locked?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78759.0

I'm not trying to stir it up, just want to understand what I can and can't post.
I'm not sure.  It is a fine line and hard for a fac to be equal or be seen as equal in all threads.  Calling another audio site a shill does not make it easy for a fac to keep a thread going.  I am attempting to stop any bashing before it starts.  Talking about something like this and what a disgrace it is for the industry is one thing, piling on is another.
I understand your last sentence.  When you have these contentious topics it is hard to control with so many members and so many attitudes and interpretations.  So, if a thread like this is started, it goes south and trashed there is the answer  :?

JDUBS

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2010, 04:35 pm »
Are they actually suing people or just threatening it? 

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2010, 04:56 pm »
This is a very poor reflection upon The Upgrade Company. 

This story is circulating all over the web and due to the bad publicity they are getting their threatened lawsuit is apparently backfiring on them.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!! :thumb: :green: :thumb:

I concur.  I did a quick search of the Better Business Bureau and did not find anything -  http://www.bbb.org/western-michigan/business-reviews/audio-visual-equipment-dealers/the-upgrade-company-in-harbor-springs-mi-38125293

It's certainly going to call attention to itself which for a subjective hobby is not likely a good thing.  I'm not sure why they just wouldn't register and give details to refute anything that may not be accurate.  AVS is one place where many are against audiophile equipment.  Charles Hansen of Ayre has registered and posted nice details about their upcoming Blu-Ray player.  While I'm sure many of the typical AVS types are skeptical and have made comments, posting information in detail about what you are doing (particularly when you have the necessary technical expertise) is a good way to shut much of that stuff out.

I've never heard of them but after seeing how they handle themselves, I personally would not deal with them.  There are lots of choices and I prefer to deal with someone who works in a better way.  I've had stuff modded and like the people I've dealt with and the way they have handled issues.  I'd be very wary of purchasing something from this company.  I think they have opened the door and for their own sake within the audiophile community I think they need to come forth in public with their side.  If they don't, there will likely be much more negative views of them vs. positive ones.

wilsynet

« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2010, 04:58 pm »
Hey MaxCast,

I deleted my last message and moved the conversation over to the Site Matters circle rather than have it drag down this thread.

Wilson

drab

« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:07 pm »
I'm not sure why they just wouldn't register and give details to refute anything that may not be accurate. 

Schulte has posted in the avs thread many times as MrHiEndAudio. Quite a peach.

toobwacky

« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:27 pm »
I'm not sure why they just wouldn't register and give details to refute anything that may not be accurate. 

Maybe because the allegations ARE accurate?  If they can’t refute the criticism, then their apparent strategy is to threaten a lawsuit to squelch the unflattering discussion of their “upgrades.”  I’m glad to see this strategy backfiring on them because if they were successful, it would have a chilling effect on discussion of any company or its products, unless that discussion was purely positive. 

I've never heard of them but after seeing how they handle themselves, I personally would not deal with them. 

Same here.  Their attempt to squelch open discussion is one big turn off. 

Is fair criticism of a company “Bashing?”  I don’t think so, but that’s just my humble opinion.