wyred4sound mamp, or sx-1000s for ht3s?

gadfly

wyred4sound mamp, or sx-1000s for ht3s?
« on: 1 May 2013, 07:36 pm »
Hello,

I will be purchasing monoblocks for my ht3s. and have been going back and forth between w4s-sx1000s, a safe choice considering past
posts from big red and others, or the new w4s mamps rated at 430 watts at 4 ohms.  The mamps are 3rd generation technology, supposedly
improved audio, but at 430 watts would my ht3s be deprived in the demanding bass department?  Any comments would be appreciated.
I know there are varying opinions regarding d power amps.  I've lived with them, and are sold on them.

Thank You,

gad-

Nuance

Re: wyred4sound mamp, or sx-1000s for ht3s?
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2013, 08:54 pm »
I'd go with the SX1000's to ensure proper control of that 10" woofer.  They are superb amplifiers for the money in my opinion.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2013, 10:41 pm »
gadfly

Easier just to call Wyred.  They will let you know which is better...etc.

funkmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2013, 12:30 am »
please post a follow-up and how it works out for you... 

I, for one (I am sure there are others) would like to know what your decision and results are, as I have considered W4S amps on and off since I got my HT3s.

Cheers

gold

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2013, 02:50 am »
I like the new mINT.   I'm not crazy about sound of the older amps.  Not all class D is the same.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2013, 03:29 am »
The 84dB HT3s driven by 430W/ch would give you capability of 104dB + peaks 9 feet away, without any room boundary gain.  If that's enough SPL for you I would probably go for the mAMP monos with the potential of improved mid/high frequency performance.

Of course for a mere $1200 more (over the cost of two SX1000), you could get four mAMPs and bi-amp!

Steve

gadfly

update/ talked to Jim S.
« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2013, 12:38 am »
Hello,

I called Jim Salk, to paraphrase, lower tones (bass), does benefit from increased watts.  At my usual listening levels, 70-75 dbs, not a
big deal.  The ideal minimum load for the ht3s is 2 ohms.  End of paraphrase.

So, the big decision.  More watts does benefit those hungry 10 inch woofers.  On rare inebriated occasions I have exceeded my usual
listening levels.  No damage to sq with more watts at any sound level, advantage sx-1000.  The mamp has a minimum load of 3 ohms,
the sx-1000, 2 0hms, advantage sx-1000.  The unknown is the possible sq advantage of the new 3rd generation mamp front end.
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of waiting for the  1140 watt into 4 ohms mamp.  I love the size and efficiency of the mamps,
I just wish someone else had tried them first on their ht3s.  The problem with being a pioneer is sometimes you get arrows in the back.

gad-

Austin08

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2013, 01:05 am »
Old or new design, there is only one way to find out....

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2013, 01:58 am »
For what it's worth, I've seen some very good feedback/comments in past threads about SX series Wyred amps paired with SS8's, Songtowers and HT2-TL's.  You can probably search for those comments/threads.

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2013, 11:15 am »
I really doubt there will be a leaps and bounds difference in sound quality, but YMMV.  I also think either amp would suffice at those listening levels.  I listen at 85dB-90, and I only use a 200 watt into 4 ohms amp and have zero issues.  I don't have those finicky 10" woofs, though; they love power! :)

gadfly

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2013, 09:21 pm »
Greetings,

And now for the rest of the story...........A little history.  I bought a new, $2,500, w4s sti-1000 integrated in early
2010.    Nice amp, 1225 Wpc. at 4 ohms.   The search for speakers led to the Salk site where in Oct. 2010 I
purchased an immediately available milano beige pair of ht3s.  Jim had just posted them for sale after they were
used in a show.  This combo sounded better than any system I have owned, but, as the years went by I was
hearing what was not there as in musicality and liquid highs.  The w4s sti-1000 is deservedly well reviewed and
with a synergistic speaker pairing excels.   Seeking a dollar wise solution I contacted wyred4sound with my concerns
and they gererously offered $1500 off the price of w4s sx1000s on a trade.  There customer service is terrific.
I planned on using my w4s dac2 as a preamp eventually adding a quality tube preamp.  Hesitation and the paralysis
of analysis set in.   Would the switch be marginal vs. the material sq. impact I sought?  So I contemplated options.
Go with the deal, or add a tube preamp to my sti-1000, or add a pricey music server and upgrade my w4s dac2 to
a w4s dac2dsd$e, or become a buddhist and transcend this hedonic quest?  I needed solid respected advice.  So this
week I called Jim Salk, which led to a call to Frank VanAlstine, which led to me eating top ramen for the next year
with the consolation of a fet valve 600R and transcendence nine to be delivered in 4-6 wks.  Anyone interested in
the purchase of a black w4s sti-1000, 3 yrs. old, excellent condition, from the original owner, please e-mail
tlh999@yahoo.com ,$1500.

thanks,

gad-

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2013, 11:51 am »
Hi,

I just purchased a pair of HT3's and over the years I have read a lot from other users about their amplifier requirements.  I specifically purchased a pair of Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000 monoblocks a couple of years ago in the hope of one day I would be able to buy a pair of HT3's.  I've been running them for a week now and one night I decided to play rock music at loud levels and I was surprised that  I could get the amps to clip quite consistently. 

The amps are rated at 340 watts per channel @8ohms.  I personally wouldn't use any amplifiers with less than 250 watts per channel @ 8 ohms if it were me.  I hope this helps you on your quest for a new amplifier.

Regards Rod
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2013, 10:41 am by Rocket »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2013, 12:00 pm »
I have said it a million times: the HT3 will suck up every ounce of power you throw at them and laugh at you as they calmly pick their teeth and ask for seconds.  At 87 db and 8 ohms nominal, they just are in that spot where they consume massive amounts of power.  I tried many an amp with them and the SX1000's did fine and so did the Cherry's, etc.

In Frank's aresenal the 600 should be fine but I would have gone Synergy myself.  That thing has some grunt to it and it does not get enough press.

It's subtle, but the SS8 is 88db at 4 ohm I believe and is not nearly as power hungry and you can see many folks driving them with 100 watt amps.

Still miss the HT3.  A sexy beast.  I'll bet those Emo 1000 watt monos would do the trick!

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: update/ talked to Jim S.
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2013, 03:16 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of waiting for the  1140 watt into 4 ohms mamp.  gadfly

Would you know when the higher power MAMP will be out for sell?

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2013, 07:41 pm »
Just to clear things up, the HT3's are actually 84db and are a 4-ohm design.  The SS8's are about 88db sensitive so they require less than half the power to output the same SPL's.

- Jim