WOW1 in curly walnut

jsalk

WOW1 in curly walnut
« on: 23 Jan 2012, 09:09 pm »
Rick wanted a small, high-quality monitor - smaller than our SongSurround I's/CAOW1's.  He already knew he wanted the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter.  When we talked about midwoofers we might use, I suggested perhaps the Seas Excel W12 might be a good candidate.  It is a 4" midwoofer in the same line as the W15 and W18 used in some of our other models.

When we modeled things, the cabinet came out to 7" wide, 9" deep and 10 3/4" tall, including space for a front slot port (for maximum placement flexibility).

Here is the result...

Since it used the W12 and the Hiquphon OW1, Rick referred to is as the WOW1.  When we first fired them up, we thought the name was quite appropriate.  While this speaker obviously won't play down to 20Hz, it does produce a surprising bass for a speaker of this size.  In fact, more than one individual attending the Southeast Michigan Audio Club meeting we hosted over the weekend asked what kind of subwoofer we were using with them.  Of course, there was no subwoofer in the system.

The design is about 84db sensitive and although we have not officially established a price for them, it will be around $1195 per pair.

Happy listening Rick!

- Jim

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm by jsalk »

kip_

Re: WOW1 in curly walnut
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2012, 12:39 am »
Jim,

I was wondering why this doesn't have the offset tweeter? I remember the Illuminator/RAAL monitor you posted awhile back did have the tweeter offset, as does the SongSurround.

rlee8394

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:28 am »
Jim,

Are you sure that isn't a Seas W12CY01 driver? It's a 4.5" magnesium cone driver and I don't see a W14 anything on the Seas or Madisound sites.

Ron

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:40 am »
Jim,

Are you sure that isn't a Seas W12CY01 driver? It's a 4.5" magnesium cone driver and I don't see a W14 anything on the Seas or Madisound sites.

Ron

Ron -

Yes, of course, you are correct.

- Jim

I changed the text above and also changed the price which I estimated too high.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm by jsalk »

rlee8394

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:55 am »
Jim,

Don't know if these are the drivers you use in the SongTowers on Steroids model or not. I modeled a new ST model using the Seas W16NX001, but at a cost of $10 or $12 more than the W18s that you use for the HT2-TLs, I didn't think it would be a cost effective design. Just get the HT2-TLs. Of course, it would be much more cost effective than the Joseph Audio Perspectives at $11,000/pair! Don't know how the Seas Millennium tweet would compare to the Hiquphon or RAAL tweets, but a ST based on the W16NX001 and Millennium tweeter sounds awful tempting. :D

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:26 am »
Jim,

Ron

The Geeky Squad strikes. What some people know!  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm »
Of course, there was no subwoofer in the system.
- Jim
No, but you had an AVA amp and I've read many times that's all you need.   :roll:

I bet folks were looking for the subwoofer when these little speakers were being played because it was being driven by Jim's Fet Valve 600R amplifier.  :D
Frank Van Alstine
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2012, 01:26 pm by jtwrace »

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2012, 01:25 pm »
Jim,

Don't know if these are the drivers you use in the SongTowers on Steroids model or not. I modeled a new ST model using the Seas W16NX001, but at a cost of $10 or $12 more than the W18s that you use for the HT2-TLs, I didn't think it would be a cost effective design. Just get the HT2-TLs. Of course, it would be much more cost effective than the Joseph Audio Perspectives at $11,000/pair! Don't know how the Seas Millennium tweet would compare to the Hiquphon or RAAL tweets, but a ST based on the W16NX001 and Millennium tweeter sounds awful tempting. :D

Ron -

We designed a version of the Veracity HT3's a few years back using the W18NX.  It sounded pretty much the same as the HT3's with the standard magnesium cone W18.  It was nice, but there was no particular reason to add it to our product line.  It would only serve to make selection more difficult and confusing for customers.  I suspect the same would be true of another model similar to the SongTowers or HT2-TL's.

As for the Millennium tweeter, it is a great tweeter to be sure.  But, other than looks, I don't think it has anything over the Hiquphon tweeters.  In fact, I think the 3/4" Hiquphon has some advantages over the 1" Millennium.  And while I have never compared them directly, I would be VERY surprised if the Millennium would out-perform the RAAL over all.

Of course, if someone wants this design, we'd be more than happy to build it.

- Jim

rlee8394

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2012, 08:27 pm »
Jim,

"We designed a version of the Veracity HT3's a few years back using the W18NX."

The W18NX is a Nextel coated paper driver. I was referring to the W16NX, which is a magnesium driver. It has a bit more surface area and fits in a 15 CM style cutout. They would fit perfectly in the SongTower Special Editions that you did for me, but I'm sure the crossover and cab dimensions would not be optimal.

I think this driver would be great in the new design (ST on Steroids). Don't know if you are using it. You may be using a W15CY or W15CH for that model. The W16NX has about a third more piston radiating area than do the two W15 units. I would expect better bass due to the extra area. Just curious. May have to make that my next project for you to build!! I would definitely go with the RAAL if I did.

Ron

rick240

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2012, 03:13 am »
Rick wanted a small, high-quality monitor - smaller than our SongSurround I's/CAOW1's.  He already knew he wanted the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter.  When we talked about midwoofers we might use, I suggested perhaps the Seas Excel W12 might be a good candidate.  It is a 4" midwoofer in the same line as the W15 and W18 used in some of our other models.

When we modeled things, the cabinet came out to 7" wide, 9" deep and 10 3/4" tall, including space for a front slot port (for maximum placement flexibility).

Here is the result...

Since it used the W12 and the Hiquphon OW1, Rick referred to is as the WOW1.  When we first fired them up, we thought the name was quite appropriate.  While this speaker obviously won't play down to 20Hz, it does produce a surprising bass for a speaker of this size.  In fact, more than one individual attending the Southeast Michigan Audio Club meeting we hosted over the weekend asked what kind of subwoofer we were using with them.  Of course, there was no subwoofer in the system.

The design is about 84db sensitive and although we have not officially established a price for them, it will be around $1195 per pair.

Happy listening Rick!

- Jim

Hurry up and come home to Poppa little WOW1s :thumb:

This is a much better picture of them Jim  8)

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:57 pm »
As I said on AVS forum, these little guys are appropriately named, because the word "wow" was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the picture.  Another job well done, Salk team!

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2012, 03:14 pm »
Those OW1's are really good sounding tweeters.  Another gem from Salk!  I'm a big fan of dome tweeters and bet these sound as good as they look.  Nice work!

rick240

WOW1 in their new home
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm »
So they finally arrived on Wednesday and I couldn't be happier  8)

They sound fantastic, bringing new life to my existing music collection and really shine with Jim's demo disk.

As you can see from the close-up, we really pushed the dimensions to the max. You can also see how Dennis' crossover magic was needed for the against the wall placement.

They look great with the grills off, but with them on they meld right into the bookshelf they are sitting on.

The time spent in my office the last two days has suffered  :oops: