Ascend Sierra-1 / ICEBlock combo

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Ascend Sierra-1 / ICEBlock combo
« on: 8 May 2010, 01:36 am »
Guys,

I'm really excited to announce our new partnership with Ascend Acoustics.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4347

David Fabrikant is one of the most respected speaker designers in the world.  We brought his Sierra-1s to RMAF last year and Michael Mardis thought they were the most coherent and powerful sounding bookshelf speakers he'd ever heard.  The mid-bass was astonishing and the tonality, very neutral. 

Like our little Tripath amps, these speakers sound better and better the more juice you give them.  David loved them with our Virtue TWO/130w last year but thought they sounded best with our ICEBlocks.  He also saw an opportunity to match his really gorgeous finishes with the Melissa enclosure.  Aesethetically and physically, the combination is pure serendipity. 

We are today deeply honored to announce that Ascend will be offering an amazing, matching combo deal with his Sierra loudspeakers and our Gary Dodd tube-buffered ICEBlocks.

So why would you spend $2,000 amplifying a pair of $1,000 speakers?  Well, what if those speakers actually cost $5,000?  Would you feel as bad?  You see, the Sierras are really that good.  You'll appreciate the astonishing value just as soon as you break them in. 

We're going to start listing some Ascend speakers on our site soon.  I expect great things from this partnership moving forward and look forward to introducing all of our customers to Ascend Acoustics.

Have great weekends, all!

Seth

Sonix

Re: Ascend Sierra-1 / ICEBlock combo
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2010, 07:30 am »
Was just wondering what would be the best preamp to mix with this IceBlock combo.

Since the IceBlock has the Dodd Tube Buffer, would it be better to get an SS pre, tube, or hybrid? Any make and model recommendations?

Since I now have the Sierra-1's I am looking to upgrade with separates to replace my old Arcam receiver and am very interested to read some options.

Regards,
Ken

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2010, 09:09 am »
Hi Ken
Current set up:
Mac Mini, external hard drive.
Music Streamer II
Dodd Buffer
IceBlock with Dodd Buffer
Dunlavy SCIV
 :thumb:
I'm loving the sound of the combo.
 :eyebrows:

dvenardos

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2010, 09:51 pm »
Totally guessing on my part, but I would try a passive preamp first to see what it sounds like with no additional coloring.