Dynaco restoration

donstaff

Dynaco restoration
« on: 23 Feb 2021, 12:53 am »
Hello, I'm Don Stafford and I'm interested in vintage Dynaco equipment and restoration.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Dynaco restoration
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2021, 01:32 am »
Welcome Don  :thumb:

donstaff

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2021, 05:46 am »
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm restoring a Dynaco Mark III power amp and a PAM-1 preamp.  I'm looking around for a PS1 power supply to eventually complete my vintage mono setup.  I'd appreciate any advice that anyone could offer as well as tips on locating the PS-1.

Don

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2021, 07:22 am »
Welcome!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2021, 01:19 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Here are some places to look for Dynaco parts.

https://www.dynakitparts.com/

as well as restoration

http://www.curcioaudio.com/dynadr_3.htm

I still have a couple of Dynaco pieces that I think about restoring. I thought they sounded so good back in the day.

donstaff

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2021, 07:06 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I've got several irons in the fire and I'm probably getting in over my head:  A PAM-1 that I haven't even looked at yet and can't power up until I get a Mark III going; An SCA-50 awaiting installation of a new volume control; An SCA-80 awaiting new C7 and C9 caps and gold jacks; Knight KA-95; Dynaco FM-5 return to stock from auxiliary switch to Dolby conversion; And finding an FM-5 mono-blend-stereo switch replacement.    needless to say, I'm in need of a lot of coaching.

Don

Db_dude

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2021, 08:44 pm »
Welcome Don!

I’m new here as well. My first exposure to Dynaco was finding an ST-70 in a friend’s attic full of dirt. It was a fun project restoring and upgrading that amp. Fairly easy to upgrade and lots of info online. Good luck with your projects!

Terry

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2021, 10:25 pm »
Hi Don,
I will move this topic to the TubeOphile Circle for your convenience.

jjss49

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2021, 05:17 am »
joe curcio is very knowledgeable and an excellent tech

Welcome to AC!

Here are some places to look for Dynaco parts.

https://www.dynakitparts.com/

as well as restoration

http://www.curcioaudio.com/dynadr_3.htm

I still have a couple of Dynaco pieces that I think about restoring. I thought they sounded so good back in the day.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2021, 04:34 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I've got several irons in the fire and I'm probably getting in over my head:  A PAM-1 that I haven't even looked at yet and can't power up until I get a Mark III going; An SCA-50 awaiting installation of a new volume control; An SCA-80 awaiting new C7 and C9 caps and gold jacks; Knight KA-95; Dynaco FM-5 return to stock from auxiliary switch to Dolby conversion; And finding an FM-5 mono-blend-stereo switch replacement.    needless to say, I'm in need of a lot of coaching.

Don

Re the FM5.... Interesting...I remember reading about provision for a Dolby FM decoder or phono preamp but didn't think the Dolby adapter ever saw the light of day. Yours has it?  Dolby FM never caught on so I don't think there would have been much use for it.

contact updatemydynaco dot com about old Dyna parts. Frank van Alstine also might know where to look for parts even if he doesn't have them.