JIMDAC

Adinoto

JIMDAC
« on: 27 Sep 2005, 03:09 am »
Hi Jim,
The JIMDAC looks realy interesting. Why looks like there are 4 IC in the layout? Are you using paralel 1543 DAC?
Also you may want to check/explore this 1545 chip? A guy in www.diyparadise.com has use it for his DAC..

regards
adinoto

hagtech

JIMDAC
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 05:11 am »
The JIMDAC is a really basic converter; CS8412 and TDA1541.  Just like everyone else is doing.  But with a Hagtech twist.  I take it to the next level by adding a discrete front end receiver, super-regulators, no series capacitor on output, passive Bessel I-V, noise reduction, and a world class layout.  Much of it is not obvious.  Two chips are for super-regulators.

No parallel DACs.  I don't like that solution, as it will only add time smear and unhappy interactions.  Other folks do it to get more output power.  Not me, I push the output voltage as low as possible.  Hence, JIMDAC will have linearity that far surpasses other designs using the same chip.  Again, much of this is not obvious to casual observation.  Oh yeah, the 5th IC is an opamp for voltage gain and buffering.  

The diyparadise dac looks quite nice, but they made a mistake with that ferrite bead.  Such is very common with inexperience (you will see this a lot in DIY).  With a tube amplifier it will sound just fine.  Or any system that doesn't mind ultrasonic and RF crap on the audio lines.  

jh :)

Adinoto

JIMDAC
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2005, 02:36 am »
Jim,

Will JIMDAC have 2 output, high and low, like HAGDAC? What is the output level?
And can it be used as stand alone without Chime and powered from batteries like Bugle?

regards
adinoto

hagtech

JIMDAC
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005, 07:26 pm »
Yes, JIMDAC is pin compatible with HAGDAC.  It has both low and high outputs: 50mV and 1.5V.  Designed to plug into CHIME.

Can be used standalone.  Can work with batteries.  I'm writing up a design article that combines a number of boards into a DIY front-end.  Maybe I'll call it the DISC-MASTER.  Accommodates both vinyl and compact discs.  Puts HAGUSB, JIMDAC, BUGLE, and POWER-SUPPLY into one box for a simple but good performance digital and analog front end.

One side note, no more CS8412s out there, will switch to one of the newer surface mount versions.

jh :)