Power Mower Blades

milford3

Power Mower Blades
« on: 18 Jun 2011, 07:25 pm »
Does anybody know how to sharpen (hone) a lawn mower cutting blade without the use of of grinding wheel? 

Mikeinsacramento

Re: Power Mower Blades
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2011, 07:43 pm »
Sure, use a hand file.  That's what I use.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2011, 08:04 pm »
I assume you're talking about a rotary mower blade?  Yep, flat file and a bench vise.  The blade material is fairly soft, not hardened tool steel (it would likely break or shatter if it was) and is pretty easy to work.

Just make sure you put it on a pivot and check for balance - very important!

Steve

BobRex

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2011, 11:18 pm »
While a hand file works fine on a dull blade, it you've nicked the blade it will take you forever to clean that up with a file.  If you don't want to play with a grinder, get a Dremel and a couple of grinding attachments.   Then finish with a file.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2011, 11:47 pm »
Use an 10 in. bastard file. (take it easy mods, that's what they're called) File both sides until sharp. Keep in mind you're cutting grass. Pound a nail into an appropriate place and see if the blade is balanced. File the side that's heavier until balanced. Personally, I'd buy a new blade. There not that expensive,probably about the same price as a good file, and considering you probably spent an outrageous amount of money on wire, it wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to do. :lol:

Doc.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2011, 12:41 am »

I use this gadget. It is a grinding wheel angled to match mower blade's edge. The plastic part holds the wheel against the bottom of the blade at the right angle. Any power drill will run it, it takes about 5 minutes. If you have a vise or clamp it to a bench then you can hold the drill with two hands makes it a little easier. I hold it with my foot on a wood stair. The grinding wheel comes as part of a sharpening kit with a plastic balancer. They sell it at BORG too. I use a Gator Blade, aftermarket high performance blablabla. I know, it is a disease.   :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Lawnmower-Blade-Sharpener-Works-Power/dp/B003N2V59C

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:10 am »
I just bought a 21" blade for my Murray mower.  $9.97 at Home Depot.  I am afraid to put it on.  My mower is over 24 years old and I don't want it getting spoiled.  I already put in a new spark plug this year.  Next thing you know it will expect a new air filter.

For me it isn't worth trying to sharpen and balance a blade for $10+tax.  Maybe if I had a fancy-pants (Lawn Boy or TroyBilt) mower with a more expensive blade I would consider cutting myself while trying to sharpen the blade.  But I like all of my fingers and thumbs.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:05 am »
I have a couple set of blades...
The one that's installed right now, and another set that's sitting in my workshop awaiting sharpening.
They're in constant rotation.

You could do the same, but insstead, send your dull blades to a place like Sears.
Mine sharpens blades for something silly like $4.

A bench grinder (or some other form of high speed grinder) is a must for getting it sharp.
Of course, I live in the woods and cutting rocks and medium sized tree limbs are "par for the course".

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:06 am »
milford.........do you have an air compressor?