Euro Conversion, Be Careful ordering Hypex right now.

undertow

Stupid me bad timing… But as a warning I ordered the Ncores and power supplies from Hypex about 10 or 12 days ago. Literally 24 to 48 hours before the Euro started collapsing. Well long story short I have already lost about 140 to 150 bucks on them and they are not even built!

So be careful if you order now, you might get them for half the price in a month!

I did contact Hypex about this situation as who knew? And normally you buy an electronic from a place and it goes on sale within 30 days they will match that price so you don't return it especially if you have not even received it yet. Well Hypex says I should have paid in U.S.D. which honestly did not make any sense to me as they sent the invoice via paypal and conversion to Euro was necessary anyway and value was what it was.

I never ordered anything in an overseas currency and now I know why.

I would not have said anything if it was a 2 or 3% fluxuation which is rather large too, but now we are talking discounts of 10 to 15% already and with an order approaching 1600 and 1700 for these parts it seems a bit excessive.

Good luck

mgalusha

Re: Euro Conversion, Be Careful ordering Hypex right now.
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 08:16 pm »
Exchange rates vary by day, always have. I paid $1728 in February plus another $72 in import fees upon delivery. Some folks have paid less, some more, that's life. Do I think the price was a bit much, not at all. Just a matter of personal value.

undertow

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 08:19 pm »
Not arguing that, however this was literally a very large difference within the ordering period which I guess I should have just cancelled and re-ordered.
Thanks

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 08:24 pm »
Not arguing that, however this was literally a very large difference within the ordering period which I guess I should have just cancelled and re-ordered.
Thanks

I appreciate the heads up...and yes, can you still cancel and reorder?  That wouldn't hurt them at all... but Who would eat it, Paypal?  If so, that's fine as they have made much on my  transactions over the years...

So, the NCore modules and PS are roughly $1700?  Not including chassis and assessories?  That seems pricey, but hey, if the amps are amazing, then they are definitely worth it!

undertow

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 08:27 pm »
No too late now, I just let them ship...

They were not 1700.00 now, a guy above said back when he ordered they were.

With shipping and all that just modules yes they were a little pricey with no other parts. I paid about 1429.00 U.S.

Now a week later about 1321.0 U.S.

Oh well.

jonbee

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 08:38 pm »
FWIW- I've watched the currency markets for over 30 years, and I think before the Euro thing is settled it could drop another 20%-maybe by year end.
Personally, I'm sitting tight for that very reason.

orientalexpress

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2012, 08:41 pm »
i just paid $2,213.18 ship for 4-nc400 and 2- powersupply yesterday. :o,That include 5% paypal fee

lapsan

genjamon

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2012, 08:48 pm »
I made my order so I wouldn't get caught on backorder, but now the savings could have paid for chassis  :duh:

But then again, that second set of modules for bridging purposes is starting to look more and more attractive!  And a European vacation is looking more and more fun as well!  :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 09:03 pm »
i just paid $2,213.18 ship for 4-nc400 and 2- powersupply yesterday. :o,That include 5% paypal fee

lapsan

Lap, I can't believe you ordered this sight unheard!!!

T

EDS_

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2012, 10:53 pm »
FWIW- I've watched the currency markets for over 30 years, and I think before the Euro thing is settled it could drop another 20%-maybe by year end.
Personally, I'm sitting tight for that very reason.

This is a damned interesting time.  I think if the Greeks exit the EU the Euro might rebound hard temporarily.  Even without the current Greek inspired chaos The EU will be lucky to avoid a significant recession.  And that might occur simultaneously with interest rate rising above ~zero here in the US which will of course cause the dollar to improve.

If the Greeks stay in the EU the Euro may well dive 20%.

Shaman

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:31 am »

If Greece leaves the Euro, that means EU (i.e. the Germans) are not ready to move in the right (pun intended - see sign) direction.
Which means soon there'll be no Euro to worry about.

Thankfully, everyone in the EU seems to get what the above sign means now; the Germans pretend not to see it (which is understandable since they built their economy - and are still making a profit - out of this flawed scheme).

[Image from The Economist]

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:44 pm »
This has never been really about Greeks, its the other more massive economies in the same boat. Greece was a lynchpin. The hope was if they could keep it together, on this relatively small one, that they could afford to backstop,  then the rest might hold together (from the confidence perspective).  Now that they have failed to make any substantial changes, the problems have become visible, and market moving for Spain and Italy, and these are too big to bail.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2012, 02:22 pm »
Can we hope for 1 to 1 or better soon(?)

jonbee

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2012, 02:25 pm »
Can we hope for 1 to 1 or better soon(?)
I would see 1:1 as a bottom that would only be around for a very short time. If it get close to that, I'd move on it. If it happens it will probably be a few months away in time.

undertow

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2012, 02:28 pm »
Oh well, whatever the case if I have to put up the Hypex for sale guess what it still goes up for 1500.00 U.S.  :thumb: