Houston meet pictures online

Wardsweb

Houston meet pictures online
« on: 21 Jan 2007, 04:59 am »
I uploaded some pics from todays meet in Houston:

http://lonestarbottleheads.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=32

Our next meet is March 3rd in Plano, hosted by Bob Spence of MaxxHorn.

brj

Re: Houston meet pictures online
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2007, 05:09 am »
Lots of nice pics of some great looking gear - thanks for the link!

Any comments on how the iPod and modded Squeezebox sounded as sources?  Am I correct in guessing that the SB had an Aberdeen Components power supply on it?

Thanks!

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2007, 12:02 am »
The Ipod was Luther's daughter's with her treasured MP3 files on it, and through high end equipment you can hear the effect of compression on the music. But the iPod, the little prototype T amp, and the Radio Shack speakers together still sounded better than most of the stuff I hear at Best Buy, even when I can convince them to turn down the fart box subwoofer. We heard two Squeezeboxes, both played throught the Lite Audio DAC-60. Mine is stock, the only enhancement being an Elpac linear power supply. Barry's is one whose digital section was modded by Boulder, and it also uses their upgrade power supply. The sound of the modded Squeezebox was smoother than the stock unit, especially in the treble.

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:57 am »
I see the Audio Mirror amp in the pics - did Vlad make it?
Sorry to miss another Houston event.  Busy with kids again....

95bcwh

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2007, 02:01 am »
I see the Audio Mirror amp in the pics - did Vlad make it?
Sorry to miss another Houston event.  Busy with kids again....

Yes, that's audio mirror SET monoblocks.

Personally, I prefers the sound of Fred's DIY Ella amp integrated and Paul's Conrad Johnson integrated when driving the line array speaker. The Audio Mirror monoblocks sounded a little bright to my liking, but there're people who like the Audio Mirror.

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2007, 12:16 pm »
I wonder if the issue isn't that the Ella and the CJ sounded better because the speakers are voiced on the bright side.  :scratch:

Just a few weeks ago I changed the tweeter resistors in my Selah Audio XT8's, substituting a lower value that brightened them up quite a bit. I can't comment on the CJ, but the Ella has North Creek coupling caps, which are some of the least bright caps out there. The bottom line is the brightness of the Audio Mirror amps probably is a system synergy issue rather than an amp issue.

The beauty of DIY speaker building is that I can easily install a switch that will emphasize or de emphasize the treble. I'll so that before the next meeting, which is a Houston Audio Society Squeezebox/Transporter/CD Player comparison on Feb 10th.

carusoracer

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:31 pm »
What are the Amp Stands that the Eargasm's are resting on?

Wardsweb

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:23 pm »
Those are from Tate Blanchard of Custom Isolation Products.

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:26 pm »
There're really good looking ampstand... made with acrylic. I have no idea how it sounds, some people said they like Maple ampstand under tube gears. :scratch:

For more info on Tate products, look here:
http://www.customisolation.com/

tdangelo

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:58 pm »
All of my stands/racks are from Tate(Ultrasonic).  They work very well with my SS and tube equipment.  Tate will make any size/shape you like to accomodate your budget.   :D

95bcwh

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2007, 07:03 pm »
All of my stands/racks are from Tate(Ultrasonic).  They work very well with my SS and tube equipment.  Tate will make any size/shape you like to accomodate your budget.   :D

Tony,
  Does your tall rack in the middle of the speaker affect the sound in any way? I read it somewhere that it's best not to have anything big between the two speaker. That's why I'm contented with single-shelf rack.

Rgds
barry

tdangelo

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2007, 07:52 pm »

Tony,
  Does your tall rack in the middle of the speaker affect the sound in any way? I read it somewhere that it's best not to have anything big between the two speaker. That's why I'm contented with single-shelf rack.

Rgds
barry

It don't notice any detrimental effects.  The rack is only 20.5" tall and the speakers are about 2' infront of the rack.

carusoracer

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2007, 08:40 pm »
There're really good looking ampstand... made with acrylic. I have no idea how it sounds, some people said they like Maple ampstand under tube gears. :scratch:

For more info on Tate products, look here:
http://www.customisolation.com/

Thanks,

Very nice looking stands :drool:

95bcwh

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2007, 02:16 am »
Fred,
  There's nothing wrong with the sound, if that's the way you like it, you shouldn't change it to please people like me who's going to visit you perhaps only a few times a year. :green:

By the way, I read a thread somewhere which suggest having the tweeters on the inside instead of outside. I'm sure you've tried swapping the speakers around (i.e. your right speaker now become your left speaker), did you hear any difference?

Rgds
 barry

I wonder if the issue isn't that the Ella and the CJ sounded better because the speakers are voiced on the bright side.  :scratch:

Just a few weeks ago I changed the tweeter resistors in my Selah Audio XT8's, substituting a lower value that brightened them up quite a bit. I can't comment on the CJ, but the Ella has North Creek coupling caps, which are some of the least bright caps out there. The bottom line is the brightness of the Audio Mirror amps probably is a system synergy issue rather than an amp issue.

The beauty of DIY speaker building is that I can easily install a switch that will emphasize or de emphasize the treble. I'll so that before the next meeting, which is a Houston Audio Society Squeezebox/Transporter/CD Player comparison on Feb 10th.

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2007, 10:23 am »
I read a thread somewhere which suggest having the tweeters on the inside instead of outside. I'm sure you've tried swapping the speakers around (i.e. your right speaker now become your left speaker), did you hear any difference?

Rgds
 barry

I never tried swapping them. The crossover is designed to sound best with the tweeters on the outside and the speakers facing straight ahead or toed in very slightly, with the tweeters farther from the listener's ear than the woofers.