Polling the audience: what streamer do you use?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Polling the audience: what streamer do you use?
« on: 2 Jul 2020, 09:00 pm »
Hypothetically, I may be upgrading my streamer and selling the Bryston, primarily to see if I can find one that will automatically handshake, and maybe upgrade a little at the same time. 

If cost were no object, what would you guys be using?  So far, I'm looking at dCS, Innuos, Auralic, Goldnote, Lumin, Naim, Cambridge.  I am entertaining any device that is streamer only, no DAC.  Just wondering what people have had success with their VR products....

Edit:  Also adding Grimm to the list.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2020, 02:28 pm by matthewpartrick »

krustykat

Re: Polling the audience: what streamer do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2020, 10:27 pm »
I'm currently using an Innuos Zenith Mk III as a roon end point with my Lio.    I previously used a Sonore Ultra Rendu with the Uptone ISO regen.  The Innuos was a big step up imho.

I found that  the Innuos' "beta" mode (provides roon server and squeezebox client both on the Innuos) doesn't work with the VR DAC 2.0 even after the most recent firmware. 

mhconley

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2020, 12:04 am »
piCorePlayer on a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 into a Topping DX7 Pro.

Martin
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2020, 01:27 am by mhconley »

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2020, 12:25 am »
Node 2i into a Yggdrasil A2 Dac. Using Qobuz, quite good!
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2020, 04:54 pm by bacobits1 »

spacedghost

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2020, 12:50 am »
Wyred4Sound MS1

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2020, 01:14 am »
Node 2i into Topping D70.

magnuska

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2020, 11:52 am »
Vinnies amps and DACs deserves the best source one can afford IMHO. :)

I use now a combination of Innuos Zen mini Mk3 as Rooncore and the Antipodes EX as Roonplayer. I also use an Ideon audio Usb reclocker with Paul Hynes SR4 powersupply.

BUT the Antipodes will soon be replaced by the new AQUA Linq with Roon module.

https://www.aquahifi.com/linq.html

Happy listening and I wish you and Vinnie a nice and healthy summer despite covid-19

//Magnus

mav52

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2020, 11:55 am »
Lumin

gnatster

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2020, 01:32 pm »
Bluesound Node2 into a Schiit Gungnir Multibit Dac. Rather happy with the sound.

sailor

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2020, 02:02 pm »
Have just posted this on another forum:

I attended the XFI Premium show in Holland last year where Aurender and dCS were sharing a room. Being interested in the dCS Network Bridge I waited for a turn to speak to the rep. and whilst chatting the Aurender rep joined us and to my astonishment agreed that dCS was better. To be fair, it was busy in the room and I am not sure which Aurender unit was being considered.

My interest was turned into resolution when visiting some of the very hi-end rooms and noticed the dCS NB being used in 2 of them. Speaking to one of the owners, he said he has tried all the others. Still waiting for a used one at a good price. Not many around though!

wile.e.mo

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2020, 02:09 pm »
Wolf Audio Alpha 3 SX

khill

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2020, 04:05 pm »
I've used an Aries Mini for many years and have tried to move it out of the way with a few other streamers but to be quite frank...nothing "handshakes" with everything better than the Auralic?!? I need AirPlay to work "seamlessly", the device to be ROON Ready, and USB out. I've tried the Node 2.i (no usb out) and a Stack Audio Link 2 that I could never get to work well with AirPlay?!? Theo is a great guy at Stack and I think I did buy the first Link 2 out there and the software wasn't quite finished yet so that was probably the issue. The unit sounds great through ROON but I listen to Pandora through AirPlay..."a lot" so it's a requirement. I want to upgrade but the new auralic unit is out of my price range right now?!?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2020, 02:32 pm »
Vinnies amps and DACs deserves the best source one can afford IMHO. :)

I use now a combination of Innuos Zen mini Mk3 as Rooncore and the Antipodes EX as Roonplayer. I also use an Ideon audio Usb reclocker with Paul Hynes SR4 powersupply.

BUT the Antipodes will soon be replaced by the new AQUA Linq with Roon module.

https://www.aquahifi.com/linq.html

Happy listening and I wish you and Vinnie a nice and healthy summer despite covid-19

//Magnus

Interesting; seems like the SPDIF output thing is gaining traction.

magnuska

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2020, 04:50 pm »
Interesting; seems like the SPDIF output thing is gaining traction.

Hi!

Yes some manufacturers seem to favour other outputs than USB, Aqua Linq best outputs seems to be their I2S.
 I have for example an  Antipodes EX as a roonplayer with USB out. One could think that a highend product like that have a good USB card but when I insert a USB reclocker/regenerator before the DAC sound improves rather much. Thats the proof for me that USB output is  costly to design. And the choice of USB gadgets on the market are also quite large.

Also the Aqua linq has a modular design so more futureproof.

/Magnus

garyalex

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2020, 06:33 pm »
Intel NUC WIN 10 with i5-4250 CPU with 16GB of memory.  Works great with my Border Patrol DAC SEi.

trcks

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2020, 08:45 pm »
Has anyone tried the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker with the L2 DAC? Does it provide any audible benefits?

magnuska

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2020, 02:04 am »
Has anyone tried the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker with the L2 DAC? Does it provide any audible benefits?

It depends of the quality of the USB outputcard from your streamer or computer or what you have. But most likely it will benefit greatly no doubt.

I use an Ideon audio USB reclocker out from my Antipodes EX into my L2 integrated with L2 DAC, and this little device (more simply and cheap than Phoenix) does a great job  improving the USB signal. So IMHO its very important if you want the best SQ of your USB chain.

beeah

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2020, 01:55 pm »
I'm actually pretty keen on my Bryston BDP-1 into Topping D90 over AES/EBU.  Off-topic, but the Topping supplanted a Bryston BDA-2, which in turn was an upgrade from the BDA-1.
Good sound.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2020, 08:30 pm »
I will keep you all posted as to what I decide on and why.

GlennDog

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2020, 11:13 pm »
Streaming sans DAC? I've been using the LUMIN U1 Mini. I'm very pleased with it, although I'd like to try their bigger boy. The U1 . . . Someday