Need a Cheap and Cheerful Integrated to Drive Some Wall Maggies (5 ohm)

ajzepp

I have a pair of Maggie MMG-W speakers that I want to mount in the bedroom to improve the audio when watching tv. I may also use it for some background music, but not looking to bring the house down.

Can you guys suggest either an inexpensive integrated amp and/or 2-channel receiver that may fit my needs? Looking to spend under $500.

HT cOz

There is an Onkyo A-9555 on audiogon right now for 300. This amp has been very well received and reviewed.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  NAD and Marantz have a really good synergy with Maggies. Lots to choose from. Have fun.

charles

srb

Here's another - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1310255806&/Jolida-JD-301RC-New-remote-hyb

I noticed that the Jolida specs only mention 8 ohm and the rear panel rendering shows the speaker outputs are labeled 8 ohm.  Any experience or knowledge on how this amplifier might work with the Magneplanar 5 ohm load (or in my case 3.8 - 4 ohm load)?

Steve

Phil A

I noticed that the Jolida specs only mention 8 ohm and the rear panel rendering shows the speaker outputs are labeled 8 ohm.  Any experience or knowledge on how this amplifier might work with the Magneplanar 5 ohm load (or in my case 3.8 - 4 ohm load)?

Steve

The hybrid amp pages don't mention anything about 4 ohms.  I have a friend with a Jolida tube integrated (60W) that uses them with MMGs.  I'd contact Jolida to be sure.  http://www.jolida.com/page/contact

srb

The hybrid amp pages don't mention anything about 4 ohms. I'd contact Jolida to be sure.

Sure, I can do that.  In the meantime, are you just listing Cheap and Cheerful (<$500) amplifiers, but not necessarily ones that would "Drive Some Wall Maggies (5 ohm)"?

Steve

Phil A

It depends on the use - the original post indicated "I want to mount in the bedroom to improve the audio when watching tv. I may also use it for some background music, but not looking to bring the house down. "  For that type of use, I was just recommending things that likely are reasonable and likely won't be a problem.  If someone indicated they might want to use it for more taxing listening, I probably wouldn't have put it forth.  For TV listening and background music, I am not sure most things will have a huge problem.  I have an old $80 105WPC Sherwood receiver on an old back-up computer and it had no trouble when I had it hooked up to 4 ohm speakers at one point for light background use.  I had it in the bedroom (which is an average sized room) for a short time powering Thiel SCS2s.  I would not use it for other than what I did though.

srb

True, as you point out the intended use would be for low to moderate levels, as would also be my nearfield desktop application.  I'll drop an email to Jolida anyway, and report back when I get a reply.

Steve

Phil A

Sounds good Steve.  I'd be curious as well.  My friend who has the Jolida (60W) tube integrated, while they are in an average sized room driving MMGs, uses the Jolida for the left and right channel with a Marantz 5003 and he does play them at HT levels.  It sounds like a nice combo when he listens to music.  Have never heard the Jolida hybrids though.

ajzepp

Thanks for the ideas, guys....much appreciated. I actually found an inexpensive Onkyo stereo receiver that was rated into 2ohms. I'm not one to match receivers with Maggies, but the on-walls are easier to drive than the floor models, so I gave it a shot. So far the results are more than satisfactory and the receiver is running nice and cool.

Please list any further suggestions, and my next goal will be to add another small system to another room. Thanks!

srb

Re: Jolida JD301RC

I received a reply from the manufacturer regarding its use at lower than 8 ohm impedances:

"Since it has a MOSFET on the power output, it can play easily without any problem to 2 to 3 ohms. Also the power will double at 4 ohms."

Steve