Cheap LP storage

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Cheap LP storage
« on: 15 Mar 2011, 01:37 am »
I picked two CHEAP bookshelves at Big Lots for $29.99 each and did some beefing up to allow them to hold Viynl LPs
I added 1/8'' Masonite hardboard to the backs with 1" screws (pre-drilled of course so as not to split the junk they're
made off). Then I added 3/4 X 1 1/4 pine strips to the hard board as shelf support and lastly I bought shelving and cut
them as dividers which add support because the shelves are 28" and would surely sag if left unsupported
I figure both should hold roughly about 950 LPs.........Bill

Book Shelves 2 @ 29.99 each
Cherry shelf 2 @5.50 each
1/8" Masonite hardboard  2 @ 7.50 each
Box 1" screws 3.50

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Cheap LP storage
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:13 am »
I see we got a close up of the '70's shelf.   :wink:  But Tina Turner next to Carol King?  Maybe you could also clue us in on your sorting parameters.

Seriously tho Pman, very inventive, looks like something I would put together.  Good job.

Is that a cassette tape case on top?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:44 am »
Yeah, nice shelves.
I have purchased cheap bookshelving and reassembled it into shelving floor to ceiling for my DVD collection. I bought four units and assembled them into a three high set, using the extra shelves to fill in so the DVDs are filling all the space, and like the op, I added a solid back of panelling. (Which i use the bookshelves to dampen the sidewalls behind my Magnepans.)
For my Lp collection, I have some large units from Target (discontinued) that the bottom three high are heavier TV stands, and the top three levels are cubes, that match the width and height of the TV stand parts (the TV stand parts are deeper.) It was handy when i moved as I could take the bins apart and carry them with LPs in them (I keep the units screwed together some, but no earthquake problems in my area, so they are OK being so close to me when i sleep)
So my 13 unit wide by 6 tall holds 6,000 LPs. I keep it in the bedroom! as it fits well without being a problem. My turntables are nearest the door of my bedroom.  (and keep my DVDs and Cds in the living room area.) (Other folks have purchased shelving from Ikea for LPs)
I have to constantly cull lesser Lps when i buy more Lps so i do NOT exceed the holding limit of my shelving. I used to have 12,000 Lps and they were everywhere, in boxes,piles in the closets etc.. But then was forced to move, and the realization I had too much crap made me toss 6,000 LPs and promise to myself never again!! (Actually this is better, as I now no longer have piles of junk Lps, All of the ones I have are great music in perfect condition.)
I keep music in three groups, Classical, Rock/pop and Jazz. Pretty balanced with equal amounts of each  type
And I keep it organized within each group, by musician/group Jazz and Rock, and composer in Classical.
I have a problem with my fast growing Rock CD collection, as I have been adding tons of cheap, used CDs in the last two years, so i have about a thousand CDs piled up with no place to keep them! Eventually i have to build another shelving unit for them

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:43 am »
Creative Pman, and cost effective as well. Keep 'em spinnin' !

putz

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:07 am »
What is that, like 2 afternoons worth at the Crackhouse?

pumpkinman

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:01 am »
I see we got a close up of the '70's shelf.   :wink:  But Tina Turner next to Carol King?  Maybe you could also clue us in on your sorting parameters.

Seriously tho Pman, very inventive, looks like something I would put together.  Good job.

Is that a cassette tape case on top?

Sorting what sorting I just emptied the boxes into them for now  :duh:
No cassettes anymore that case is for CDs

pumpkinman

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:05 am »
What is that, like 2 afternoons worth at the Crackhouse?

No fooling it's probably from the last 8 months. It's a sickness you know   :lol:

pumpkinman

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:12 am »
Yeah, nice shelves.
I have purchased cheap bookshelving and reassembled it into shelving floor to ceiling for my DVD collection. I bought four units and assembled them into a three high set, using the extra shelves to fill in so the DVDs are filling all the space, and like the op, I added a solid back of panelling. (Which i use the bookshelves to dampen the sidewalls behind my Magnepans.)
For my Lp collection, I have some large units from Target (discontinued) that the bottom three high are heavier TV stands, and the top three levels are cubes, that match the width and height of the TV stand parts (the TV stand parts are deeper.) It was handy when i moved as I could take the bins apart and carry them with LPs in them (I keep the units screwed together some, but no earthquake problems in my area, so they are OK being so close to me when i sleep)
So my 13 unit wide by 6 tall holds 6,000 LPs. I keep it in the bedroom! as it fits well without being a problem. My turntables are nearest the door of my bedroom.  (and keep my DVDs and Cds in the living room area.) (Other folks have purchased shelving from Ikea for LPs)
I have to constantly cull lesser Lps when i buy more Lps so i do NOT exceed the holding limit of my shelving. I used to have 12,000 Lps and they were everywhere, in boxes,piles in the closets etc.. But then was forced to move, and the realization I had too much crap made me toss 6,000 LPs I could never do it I'm to weak and promise to myself never again!! (Actually this is better, as I now no longer have piles of junk Lps, All of the ones I have are great music in perfect condition.)
I keep music in three groups, Classical, Rock/pop and Jazz. Pretty balanced with equal amounts of each  type
And I keep it organized within each group, by musician/group Jazz and Rock, and composer in Classical.
I have a problem with my fast growing Rock CD collection, as I have been adding tons of cheap, used CDs in the last two years, so i have about a thousand CDs piled up with no place to keep them! Eventually i have to build another shelving unit for them

I have actually cleared out a few LPs myself. I have at this time 5000 plus LPs most are in DIY shelves made from 2X3's
EMT and MDF with a hardwood strip to dress it up a bit. These shelves were cheaper and easier since Double Decker has
become my 2nd home. CDs are housed in pine shelves that I made last year.........Bill

pumpkinman

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:43 am »
A small section of my DIY shelves located in the black hole my basement. The shelves on the bottom are empty as there is usually an old chair there for my good friend Rascal the dog.............Bill

Letitroll98 this section of LPs are alphabetized and in order  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 02:17 am by pumpkinman »

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:51 pm »
It looks dam good man.

I have been using crates, but they look ugly.  :|

A friend told me about the Ikea Expedit.

pumpkinman

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2011, 07:34 pm »
It looks dam good man.

I have been using crates, but they look ugly.  :|

A friend told me about the Ikea Expedit.

I know orthobiz and etcarroll each puchased the Ikea Expedit check it out

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90559.0

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:15 am »
I know orthobiz and etcarroll each puchased the Ikea Expedit check it out

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90559.0

thanks for the link pumpkin,  :thumb:
i'm checking their thread.. it looks very interesting, you guys are geniuses when it come to racks.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:59 am »
When I bought my unit Pman said it was already to small for me, he was right. Luckily, a second wont cost that much.

rob-fi

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm »
I like Pumpkinman's recommendation, those seem perfect...i bet they look fantastic on black.

etcarroll

« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2011, 11:19 pm »
Whatever you get, leave room for expansion. My rack mostly full, and I had cartons scattered about. Yesterday I dumped everything out and put into alpha order as a prelude to interfiling, and realize I need another unit, so off to Ikea tomorrow.

Pman told me this would happen soon, I shoulda listened. :oops:

djbnh

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2011, 02:01 am »
The Ikea Expedit line has been working fine for me. As shown in the right side of the image below, for LP storage I use a 4x2 atop a 2x2:

etcarroll

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2011, 10:00 pm »
Crap - need another unit, but can't find Walnut. Contacted Ikea, this is what I got back;

"Unfortunately, the Expedit  Walnut color has been discontinued and is no longer being manufactured by our suppliers.  IKEA products are not discontinued based on sales or consumer demand, but on product availability.  This process allows IKEA to open space to introduce new products to the range. "

etcarroll

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2011, 08:31 pm »
Since my last post it seems IKEA has gathered all the remaining Expedit units in walnut finish to centralized locations, where they show up in the 'last chance' area, they're $10 cheaper ea. than before. Luckily for me, in greater Philly area that was the Ikea 20 minutes drive from my work, so I grabbed 2 more units, the boxes in the pic, and started sorting the vinyl that will go into them once they're up.

etcarroll

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2011, 01:59 am »
Finished - for now. :roll:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2011, 04:34 am »
Hey those look good, I was going to suggest red next to/on top of walnut...