Professional Setup Equipment

8thnerve

« on: 19 Mar 2004, 02:49 pm »
We have upgraded our test equipment and are offering for sale our previous test gear for pennies on the dollar.

www.gold-line.com

- Goldline DSP30 RTA Audio Analyzer ($1625)
    Includes calibrated Mic

- Goldline OPT RT60 Module for DSP30 ($250)
    Never installed, have complete install kit (will install for purchase if desired)

- Goldline PN3B RT60 Gate signal generator ($200)

- Woodworx Polarity Tester w/Test CD ($120)

- Audience Conductor Microphone cable 3m ($175)

- Radio Shack Digital SPL Meter ($50)

Value of entire set: $2420

I will sell the set for $900!

With this setup you can measure the frequency response of your system in room, adjust your sub levels optimally, check for absolute phase, perform RT-60 calculations to measure reverb time, match levels precisely for your home theater channels, etc.  I think anyone serious about their setup needs to have this kind of equipment on hand.  Give me a call at 877-8TH-NERVE if you are interested.

8thnerve

« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2004, 08:59 pm »
Going on Audiogon...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2004, 10:00 pm »
Does it come with a "Nathan in the Box" to use it?

I might even pay a little extra for that.   :lol:

George

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2004, 01:55 am »
Nathan:

The thing you were using to check phase, which thing is that?  

Thx,

B

8thnerve

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2004, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Nathan:

The thing you were using to check phase, which thing is that?  

Thx,

B

The polarity tester.

Seriously, I thought these would be gone by now.  I guess most people don't realize how important this stuff is.  All of you dealers out there should have this equipment at a minimum to do proper system setup.  I think this level of setup service is mandatory to keep our shops alive faced with internet discounting.  I think the setup service is the number 1 advantage we have over internet retailers and we should do it as well as is possible.

If anyone out there has a $10,000 or more system with a subwoofer and your dealer did not use an RTA to set it up, you are not getting what you can out of it.  And wouldn't everyone out there like to know how far from the walls their speakers actually should be to achieve proper bass response??  I bet 95% of the audiophiles who preach accuracy don't have the equipment necessary to determine if their systems are even setup to deliver accuracy.

Sorry to preach, but I've been to too many homes where the phase wasn't even correct, much less placement of the speakers.

By the way, audiocircle members are getting this at a price $200 lower than it is listed for on Audiogon.

Maybe I should have NathanM write the ad for me... :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2004, 08:13 pm »
I agree 100% with your observation.

For me that is a good deal of money to spend on something that would only get used if major changes were made in the system.

I honestly am thinking about buying, using it and selling it.

Having never used gear like this before, how easy it to setup and use?

George

8thnerve

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2004, 02:19 pm »
Quote from: zybar

Having never used gear like this before, how easy it to setup and use?

For the most part, you just put in the test CD, and use the Polarity tester and RTA to measure.  The polarity tester is used by playing the polarity test track and holding the device up to the drivers on your speakers.  The signal should flash positive, positive, negative, and repeat, if your polarity is reversed (or out of phase) you'll get negative, negative, positive.  Some speaker designers change the polarity of the different drivers, especially the woofer on 3 ways, but the midrange is usually the one you want to be in absolute polarity.  I have also found miswired drivers from major loudspeaker manufacturers using this tool.  The bass seemed lighter than it should be but I didn't know why, after using the polarity tester, it showed that one out of the 2 woofers on the right channel was wired incorrectly.  BY swapping the leads, the speaker improved dramatically, and the missing bass was now present.

For the RTA, you'll play the noise track and set the mic up at the listening position.  On the readout you'll see exactly what the SPL level of each of the 1/3 octave frequencies are and can adjust your speakers placement (distance from wall for bass, toe in for treble, distance between speakers for midrange) to linearize your frequency response.  You can also dial in your sub accurately by achieving a smooth transition, and you'll know where you should have the phase switch by seeing the response.  When the phase (generally 0 or 180) is in the incompatible position, you'll see a dip and a peak right near the crossover frequency, if it is in the right position, the response will be smooth.  The RTA will also allow you to observe your room modes so that you can do your best to reduce them.

Setting up systems by ear is critical but ONLY after a proper technical setup.  Without exception all of the customers I have visited have a long way to go with setup.  Even those with purpose built rooms (no parallel walls, no 90 degree angled corners, etc.) and systems over $100,000 are getting less than 75% of what they could from their systems.  ALL DUE TO SETUP!

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2004, 06:29 pm »
Why don't you rent this package out to AC memebers :idea:

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2004, 06:40 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast

18 members, 18 weeks, $50/for a 1-week rental, would net the same as the asking price... So I think that's a pretty good idea...

Or, along those lines.... maybe some members of a local group could pool together funds... $100 over 9 members, and then they each share it.

-C

8thnerve

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2004, 03:02 pm »

YIKES!!!  Great idea, but I can't even begin to explain how little time I have for that, in fact I really don't have time to explain it, in fact, I don't have time to write this pos....

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2004, 05:30 pm »
Quote from: 8thnerve

YIKES!!!  Great idea, but I can't even begin to explain how little time I have for that, in fact I really don't have time to explain it, in fact, I don't have time to write this pos....

Understood, I didn't take into account the time you would have from idiots like me calling and asking, "ok, I received it, now what do I do with it." :lol:

I still like the idea though :wink:

Carlman

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2004, 06:44 pm »
Quote from: 8thnerve

Understood, I didn't take into account the time you would have from idiots like me calling and asking, "ok, I received it, now what do I do with it." :lol:

I still like the idea though :wink:

I think you would have to find a particularly philanthropic AC member to purchase and rent the system out... I'd do it if I thought I could get my money back out of it... However, I'd feel worried that it'd get destroyed.  I would also want to write a manual on how to use it... probably a step-by-step guide with photos.  That would minimize calls....

I'd also want to get the equipment checked out.  Does it work properly?  It's used, been moved a lot, etc... So, that's another 'to do'..

So, after doing what I think is necessary to get it 'rentable' I'd have to charge a lot to get the initial purchase price back...

That is, unless Nathan just wanted me to manage it.. I could do everything then without laying out so much cash...

-C

8thnerve

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2004, 08:30 pm »
Sold.  Perhaps the new owner will be willing to rent it out.  If he wants to I'm sure he'll post here.

Best Regards,

Nathan Loyer
Eighth Nerve