EAC cue files on 'selected tracks' ripping

terry j

EAC cue files on 'selected tracks' ripping
« on: 24 Aug 2009, 07:10 am »
hi all, hopefully an easy question to answer.

Say I have a cd with ten tracks, but I only want on my server 1, 5, 8 and 9.

I use eac to do the ripping.

I can highlight those and rip them easy enough, but how do I create the cue file that only has those tracks??

I use cplay, and I find getting in and editing the full cue file a real pain, and seems unnecessary.

Is there an easy way to do this??

guest48077

Re: EAC cue files on 'selected tracks' ripping
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2009, 01:14 pm »
If you make a CUE File of the entire disc you can edit it VIA notpad/wordpad, I think. I have not done this but I think it is as easy as erasing text.

Then again I could be totally off the wall and making S&%T up and talking out my ass right now..........but I think thats all you do. :scratch:

terry j

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2009, 02:37 pm »
If you make a CUE File of the entire disc you can edit it VIA notpad/wordpad, I think. I have not done this but I think it is as easy as erasing text.

Then again I could be totally off the wall and making S&%T up and talking out my ass right now..........but I think thats all you do. :scratch:

cheers under, yeah you can, but (well at least for me) it is a right royal PITA!

Something always seems to go wrong, tracks not listed..whatever. It seems such an oversight in the whole program?

I have just found a link that converts the 'report' that gets listed to a cue file, and you download the conversion and save it. that worls fine when I rip one track, but get error messages when it is more than one track, invalid file names etc. which does not make sense when I can get it to work with one.

Here is the link if it is of help to anyone else

http://eachelper.okamihost.com/php/convloghtml.php

I can't belive the problem I am having with this! but then again, I am a computer idiot and hate them.

hopefully there is a simple answer forthcoming.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2009, 03:22 pm »
Why are you using cue sheets?  Cplay will work with wav or flac files, right?  I used cue sheets up until about 6 months ago, and converted all my album-sized files to song files (1000 or so in batch, very easy).  No longer have to deal with cue sheets, especially when making compilations, etc. 

terry j

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2009, 10:54 pm »
I cannot copy and paste, so have to do this manually...""In general a person who rips their collection to individual flac files would not need to use cue sheets because most media players will search your library and read the tags. Cics play however does not include this functionality and is most conveniently used with cue files""

Maybe I should just change 'the operating system' and not use cplay at all?? Still, from very faulty memory now, it's 'benefit' is that it loads the tracks into, and plays from, the ram.

Hah! Could I hear the difference anyway?? Still, I only built the thing in an attempt to get 'the best', so may as well stick with it.

IF I can sort this out! I tell you, this is such a PITA that it really is starting to detract from any appeal it may have had soundwise.

I have asked in a few places now, and there has not yet been a *snap* answer...am I the only one who wants to do this??? (unlikely!) yet it also seems to show that it is simply NOT built into EAC at all.

(maybe that is because few programs use it as you mentioned/???)

terry j

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:19 pm »
worked it out...well only done one trial so far but hey, fingers crossed.

happy to post a little how-to if there is interest and thank you for looking.

bricksalt

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2009, 02:46 am »
I would appreciate the "how-to" once you test it out.  Thanks

terry j

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2009, 01:22 pm »
I would appreciate the "how-to" once you test it out.  Thanks

select the tracks you want to copy, hold ctrl and click.

F5 will rip those tracks.

It will not create a cue sheet, but you will get a 'report', one that can be opened in notepad. open it, copy and paste into 'convert log to cue sheet' at this link

http://eachelper.okamihost.com/php/convlog.php

select the cue type, and paste the log into the box, and convert. Then download the conversion.

(use notepad to open the download)

here is an example I just did, I copied track one and three, omitted two.

FILE "01 - U. R. A. Fever.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "U. R. A. Fever"
    PERFORMER "Kills, The"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE ""
    PERFORMER "Kills, The"
FILE "03 - Tape Song.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Tape Song"
    PERFORMER "Kills, The"

You can see that the omitted track has no song title etc, but instead has ("")

Wherever you see a group that has    ""    in it, delete that 'group'.

Then use 'save as' to save it in the folder.

Ok, a tiny bit of editing required, and I can't test that particular one (I rip on one computer, then transfer it to the server. This computers ram is not big enough to play the file....) but it should work ok.

The other times when I tried to get in and fix a cue file that had been created, I always had some sort of problem somewhere, and it was hard work. At least with this editing it is easy 'no thinking required' editing.

good luck, hope that helped.