Let the modding begin.

8thnerve

Let the modding begin.
« on: 14 Oct 2003, 10:17 pm »
I have all the parts, so the basics will start tonight.

1. WBT Midline RCA inputs -> Audience Auric wire to the main board.

2. WBT Midline Binding Posts -> Audience Auric wire to the output board.

Once I receive the ultra quiet Papst fans I will replace the stock unit (which runs at 32db) with the new papst unit (16db).  I think this will be virtually inaudible.

After the basics, I will play with more extensive wiring options.

I will report back on the improvement later tonight or in the morning.

8thnerve

Let the modding begin.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2003, 05:00 pm »
The input and output mods are complete and as I suspected, the results are dramatic.

The highs are much more liquid and the entire frequency range seems more fleshed out resulting in a more impactful, vibrant sound.  You FEEL the music much more readily than before.  Of course the highs are more extended and the bass is deeper and more controlled, but you would expect that with higher quality parts, better wire, and avoiding the circuitry on the input card.

There are some pictures below and I should have pricing info soon.

http://www.eighthnerve.com/images/carvermod1.jpg">

http://www.eighthnerve.com/images/carvermod2.jpg">

http://www.eighthnerve.com/images/carvermod3.jpg">

Hantra

Let the modding begin.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2003, 06:08 pm »
Nathan:

Do you feel this tames a bit of the brightness that people have alluded to from this amp?

Thx,

B

Monolith

Let the modding begin.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2003, 06:15 pm »
If you have time, try removing the output board completely, soldering the cap across the +/- terminals and soldering the inductors inline.  This would bypass all of the board traces and three connectors for each +/- wire of each channel.  Soldering to the main board would bypass yet another connector.  Cosmetically, you would need to cover the speakon holes left after removing the output board.

8thnerve

Let the modding begin.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2003, 07:35 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Nathan:

Do you feel this tames a bit of the brightness that people have alluded to from this amp?

Thx,

B

YES!!!  Very much so.  Although I did not mind its slightly forward character before (with my setup at least) it is remarkably smooth and and extended now without a trace of harshness.  I think the ribbon cable was allowing lots of high-frequency garbage into the signal.  They even used one of those ferrite clamp thingys over the ribbon cable to tame this.  Try taking it off!  Talk about harsh!

Now with the Audience Auric wire, so much more of the original signal is getting to the main board.  And you know how good the Audience wire is Hantra...

The new wire has not even broken in yet.  I only have about 6 hours on this mod.  I can't wait to see what it sounds like after a few days...

8thnerve

Let the modding begin.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2003, 07:39 pm »
Quote from: Monolith
If you have time, try removing the output board completely, soldering the cap across the +/- terminals and soldering the inductors inline.  This would bypass all of the board traces and three connectors for each +/- wire of each channel.  Soldering to the main board would bypass yet another connector.  Cosmetically, you would need to cover the speakon holes left after removing the output board.

I am considering bypassing the output board and replacing the caps and inductors with higher quality parts and soldering directly to the main board.  Have no doubt that I will continue to try and find ways to improve this unit, as I am sure many others will as well. :-)

Monolith, have you bypassed the output board as described?  If so, what was the effect?

Monolith

Let the modding begin.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2003, 07:57 pm »
Quote from: 8thnerve
Monolith, have you bypassed the output board as described?  If so, what was the effect?

Not yet, finishing some CD mods first, but have been eyeing removing all the parts on the output as described in my previous post.  I will probably leave the connector to the mainboard for ease of removal for modding purposes. I have the binding posts changed out along with that good ol' brass bolt for the transformer...  : ).  Fans should be here by this weekend.  I will start with the temp adj. fan first and see if it ever runs slow.  If it remains on high, I will swap it out for the constant velocity fan.

I also just glanced at the schematics and noticed that there are a couple of 0.47uF coupling caps in the input that I will change out also with some Auricaps I have laying around if space permits.  Also, thinking of replacing the +/- 15volt rectifiers with Harris types.  The main rectification stage is heatsinked to the case.  I have not had time to study the schematics in detail.  Just not finding a lot of extra time to play with my new toy.  However, the class T car amp is definitely getting a lot of use!

8thnerve

Mod Pricing
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2003, 12:58 am »
I just got the fan to complete the mod package, and it is perfect.  Completely inaudible even without the cover on.  Vibration from the fan to the "wind tunnel" has been damped with rubber spacers to reduce noise even further.  With 5 hours solid of loud play, the unit is not even warm anymore.

So here is a rundown of the mod package:

-WBT RCA Inputs
-Audience Auric Hook-up wire directly to an IDC connector on the main board, bypassing the input card.  This allows you to put the old ribbon cable back in and use the input card at a later date if you so desire.  It will also allow you to use any other aftermarket or Carver Pro cards that may be released at a later time with no soldering at all.  Simply pull the new IDC connector out.

-Papst silent fan.  This is the quietest fixed speed fan available in this size.  From Germany.

-Audience Auric Hook-up wire from the output card to the Binding Posts
-WBT Binding Posts

Total package is $300 plus return shipping.  This includes parts, labor and testing.  We will guarantee our work for the full Carver Pro warranty period which is 5 years.  The modded units can be purchased from us directly if you do not have a ZR1000 or ZR1600 already.

I will start scheduling mods right away.  Call us at 615-665-1361.

Happy listening!

8thnerve

Mod price for those who have purchased a ZR from Eighth Nerv
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2003, 06:20 pm »
For those who have purchased a ZR1000 or ZR1600 from Eighth Nerve, we will be offering a reduced modification price of $200 plus return shipping.  This is just another way to show our customers that we want them to have the best possible quality at the lowest price.

8thnerve

PRICES ARE GOING UP SOON!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2003, 01:16 pm »
The prices on the Carver amps is going up at the end of October.  I will continue to take orders at my current price until end of the day on Oct. 30th.  Remember, the mods are only $200 for those who purchase the amp from us.

Occam

Volume changes
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2003, 08:34 pm »
Nathan,

When you bypass the Input Module's circuitry (via your spiffy added RCAs) is there a change in relative volume (vs. some arbitray gain setting on the input module)? Upwards? Downwards? You might be able to tell  how many db, up or down, by using the calibrated volume knobs on the ZR amp or if the pre you're using is callibrated.

Thanks in advance,
Occam

DARTH AUDIO

ZR1600
« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2003, 10:48 pm »
Nathan, How is the ZR1600 sounding today.. Any improvements?? I have to place myorder by this Friday..

8thnerve

Re: ZR1600
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2003, 09:26 pm »
Quote from: DARTH AUDIO
Nathan, How is the ZR1600 sounding today.. Any improvements?? I have to place myorder by this Friday..

It's still getting better every day.  I am waiting for it to level off, but it has not so far.  Just heard my first modded 1000 the other day and I was blown away by how good that is.  It doesn't give much away to the 1600.

I'll report on bridged/monoblock performance soon.

Nathan

Sean

Let the modding begin.
« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2003, 07:30 am »
I would think that shielding the toroidal might help things out quite a bit here.  The fact that it is in such close proximity to signal wiring suggests that the magnetic field is modulating the audio output.  In my opinion, this should have been one of the first things tackled.  From what i can tell by glancing at the provided pictures, very little thought to internal circuit layout was performed prior to production.  Sean
>