I am buying a VPP-1

thermalbum

I am buying a VPP-1
« on: 12 Jan 2006, 04:33 pm »
have decided to get the VPP-1 from Omer (Mr. Oz Enterprises). I was over at his place late last week to take a look see at it and ask Omer a number of questions about stereo stuff. At 1st appearance it seems to be solidly constructed and when you pick it up that feeling is confirmed. No cheap low grade plastic hereit is well done in aluminum and nice fittings are used so the RCAs fit snug. I did not open it up to check out the interior mainly because I would not know what I would be looking at anyway.

During the conversation I mentioned that I would like to bring my current pre in for a comparison (I had recieved this from Omer too.) Omer said "Here take it home for a few days". Please note other than a few e-mails and telephone calls Omer doesn't know me from Adam, this was the first time we had met and I have not sent him thousands of dollars in exchange for goods and services.

Anyway on a day off I listened to my sytem with my current pre and then changed to the VPP-1. After the VPP-1 warmed up there was a significant difference in the sound. The highs were more extended and light, the voices had more depth and feeling while the bass had more presence and clarity. None of the elements was louder than before there was just more clarity and articulation. In particular I found woodwinds to be more natural and reed-like, while I couldn't what brand of reed was used or how it was shaved there was just a "rightness" My daughter was a more than competent sax and clarinet player in high school and college and has a natural gift for music ( she didn't get it from me) so I am familar with the sound.

The pre made the music very pleasant and I ended up spinning about 6 or 7 LPs ranging from Roberta Flack to Miles Davis to Ginger Baker's Airforce with a sprinkling of Hendrix and CSN&Y. There was undiscovered music hidden in those records.

The VPP-1 was on my original short list mainly as a result of the reviews and comments in various groups and also because of its apparent ability to support better TTs and carts than some of the competitors. It also has the ability to use almost any MC cartridge in addition to MM carts.

It's a keeper that has made my Ariston RD40/Nagaoka MP11 sound much more eloquent than before. So in the meanwhile I don't feel the need to get a newer TT immediately so I can buy lotsa more vinyl instead

Howzat

CIAudio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
I am buying a VPP-1
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2006, 07:58 am »
Glad you're enjoying your VPP-1 :D
The small size and low cost often makes people think it can't be much.

I know of several people who were surprised that when they upgraded(or thought they were) to a more expensive model, it didn't sound as good as VPP-1. I know of an industry friend who put one in as temp while his broken $2600 model went back for repairs, and he found he liked the
VPP-1 better. We used one in a fairly expensive system at CES(hidden away) and no one asked what was being used, they simply commented on the great sound.

Omer is a good guy..It's nice to let people know about his friendly way of doing business.

unityaudio.ca

I am buying a VPP-1
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2006, 06:20 pm »
Thanks guys!  :D