Just discovered Rachmaninoff and need some direction...

birdwizard

Hi there,
 I've tried and tried but always had a hard time embracing classical, often finding it cold and distant.

But I just discovered a couple of pieces by Rachmaninoff that froze me in my tracks. Piano Concerto's No.2 and 3 engage me in a big way; they are mysterious, lush and intricate. They are also like strange intellectual puzzles that refer back and expand on the theme at unexpected times, somewhat like Coltrane in an odd calculating way.

Am I doomed to just like these 2 peices or is there a whole world waiting for me. The two things that bug me the most in classical are bouncy frivolous music and big explosive crashes.

Where do I go from here?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2005, 07:59 pm »
You really should check out Rachmaninov's orchestral music, in this case there is a really good bargain set with Ashkenazy conducting that are all first rate perfomances in very good sound:

Ashkenazy Set of Symphonies

The cool thing about that set is it also includes great rendtions of the Symphonic Dances and also The Isle of the Dead, both of which I think you'll really like based on your post.

Also, Ashkenazy is killer in the Piano Concerto's and solo piano music as well.  He has a real affinity for Rachmaninov's music, IMO:

Piano Concerto's and Solo Piano by Ashkenazy

Rich Carlson

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2005, 11:43 pm »
Here's one I like a lot: Symphonic Dances/Rhapsody on a Theme of Paginini/Aleko Overture, St. Petersburg Philharmonic/Temirkanov, Dmitri Alexeev (piano in Rhapsody ...).  RCA Victor Red Seal 1995.  Excellent recording, too.
Rich

p.s.  Tyson is absolutely right about Ashkenazy, especially in the Piano Concertos, which I think are available separately if you aren't ready for the big box.

corwin99

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2005, 12:10 am »
Ashkenazy's Rachmaninov is some of the best, I agree. Horowitz is also quite popular, though most of his recordings tend to "sound" older mostly because they are.

If you like the Rachmaninov No.2, you may also like Tchaikovsky Piano Cto 1, which tends to be a frequent companion peice to the Rachmaninov 2. Prokofiev Piano Cto's may also be to your liking.

CSMR

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2005, 01:05 am »
In the same vein as the piano concerti, there is the rhapsody on a theme of Paganini. I would try the second symphony - more lush and intricate, much darker than the piano concertos with pathos rather than puzzles. Or if it's the melody you are particularly fond of, Tchaikovsky, Mendelsohn, maybe Brahms, violin concerti, but also symphonies and piano concerti.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2005, 01:09 am »
I recommend you look into Dvorak as well.  A good place to start would be some of the more accessible works, such as Symphony No 9 (New World), The Carnival Overture, and the Slavonic Dances.

Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No 2 is among my favorite peices of music, too.  Some of my suggestions aren't going to really sound like that per se, but be in a similar vein.

You might like Katchaturian, too.  My preference tends to run towards the Romantics and away from the "classical era".  Composers like Mussorgsky, Holst, Chopin, Rachmaninov, Ravel & Dvorak move me more than Mozart, Haydn and the like.

CSMR

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2005, 01:30 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
You might like Katchaturian, too.  My preference tends to run towards the Romantics and away from the "classical era".

All roads lead to Bach eventually :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2005, 01:39 am »
I do like baroque, but to a lesser degree than Romantic music.  Bach is of course the king of baroque, but I don't find the genre as compelling.   YMMV, of course.

birdwizard

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2005, 02:35 am »
Thanks alot guys.  You've given me a lot of stuff to investigate!

I listened to mp3's of Isle of the Dead and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paginini and found these to have that "something" I like. I will be buying these for sure.

Ok, I'm going to find bits of the other stuff to check out. I'll post a report.

btw Corwin, The Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1 is also on the same disc as the Rach No 2, but it just doesnt grab me in nearly the same way
for some reason.

corwin99

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2005, 03:06 am »
birdwizard: agreed.. the Rachmaninov No. 2 is a much more compelling peice to my ears as well, however I am not that fond of Rachmaninov's orchestral peices, i prefer his preludes and etudes much more, especially at the hands of Ashkenazy. :)

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2005, 04:44 am »
"All roads lead to Bach eventually."

Maybe, maybe not.  But when I start HEARING it, I leave.  (Actually, Bach's is the only baroque-period music I can tolerate.  I run away, screaming, from Vivaldi and the others.)

Birdwizard, I recommend Rach.'s Symphony #2 and Tchaikovsky's PCs, all 3.  Also Tchaik's symphonies #5 and 6.

That'll get you rolling along.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2005, 04:56 am »
This weekend....25% off all Classical recordings....at Tower Records. Good deal and free shipping on over $20.00 purchased !!!  8)

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2005, 05:24 am »
That's a great sale!  The Ashkenazy set of Symphonies, the Ilse of the Dead, the Bells, and Symphonic Dances for $16!  3 cd's for the price of one and all killer performances, that's pretty hard to beat.  Hell, even the 6 cd set of the Piano Concerto's and Solo Piano music is only $32.  That's a bargain indeed.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2005, 05:30 am »
Quote from: Tyson
That's a great sale!  The Ashkenazy set of Symphonies, the Ilse of the Dead, the Bells, and Symphonic Dances for $16!  3 cd's for the price of one and all killer performances, that's pretty hard to beat.  Hell, even the 6 cd set of the Piano Concerto's and Solo Piano music is only $32.  That's a bargain indeed.
Thats why I posted it....and labels that are rarely on sale....are 25% off....till Monday. This is the sale I look forward to each year..... :D (winter clearance).

corwin99

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2005, 05:31 am »
*wonders if he's the only one here that likes Baroque music*  :|

Tyson

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2005, 05:38 am »
corwin99,
Bach is my favorite composer, so you are not alone!  I particularly like his solo instrumental music.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2005, 05:56 am »
No, Corwin99- I like it Baroque, too.  I simply like Romantic era composers more.  I do like Baroque more than Classical Era composers.  My collection has it's share of Handel, Bach & Scarlatti, too.

sleepkyng

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2005, 06:11 am »
Has anyone suggested Scriabin?

his sonatas are prime!

he was rachmoninov's school mate at the academy.

Tyson

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2005, 06:13 am »
I was actually thinking of rec'ing Satie's solo piano music instead.  That's some beautiful, intricate-yet-spare, stuff.  Although I do love Scriabin too, particularly the recently re-released set on DG performed by Roberto Szidon, who absolutely RULES in Scriabin (sorry for the gushing, I just go the set and it absolutely blew me away).

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2005, 06:24 am »
Tyson,
    Any other "classical idea's"...stuff thats not usually "on sale". I have a few gift cards to use up.....
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1319495 [/list:u]
    Thanks !! :) [/list:u]