Aune X1

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Aune X1
« on: 18 Feb 2012, 03:27 pm »
So eclien sends me this link for a new DAC, the Aune X1, $198 with the shipping and it's getting some pretty good reviews.  A Burr Brown PCM2707 is used for the USB, a Burr Brown PCM1793 DAC, a WM8805 receiver chip, and an OPA2134 op amp for analogue out.  Pretty decent chip set.  And the case is one of the most attractive I've seen lately.  Anyone have this yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUNE-24bit-192K-X1-DAC-headphone-amp-preamp-USB-DAC-WM8805-PCM1793-USB-coxia-/140627630983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20be0f5b87#ht_6293wt_1159&afsrc=1

And a couple of reviews:

http://darklordreviews.com/2011/10/09/aune-x1-dac-follow-up-review/
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=print&thread=7103

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Aune X1
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:50 pm »
A comparison made with the Bel Canto 2.5 and the X1 Dac...the difference was minimal.

Question: does it come with preamp?

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm »
Also want to know how it functions as a preamp! Is the volume in the digital domain?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:06 am »
A comparison made with the Bel Canto 2.5 and the X1 Dac...the difference was minimal.

Question: does it come with preamp?

Yes, the comparison was made in a post on Head-Fi, I don't know the gentleman and he seems pretty new there, so didn't post a link.  He liked it as much as a Bel Canto 2.5 and a Keces 151, which seemed a little too high praise to be credible, but it don't hurt.   

Also want to know how it functions as a preamp! Is the volume in the digital domain?

Yes.  I should have mentioned the Dark Lord review is wrong, it works as a preamp even when not using headphones.  If you read down in the replies you see he was corrected and he later confirmed he was using the buttons wrong.  The RockGrotto poster shows pics of the manual, all of the manual, every page, and pics of every view you could want of the darn thing, boy he's thorough.  Anyway, you can read the manual there and see you have to push some combination of the two buttons to make the "P-line" LED light up for the unit to function as a preamp.

No, it doesn't work in the digital domain.  For this price we're lucky the thing works in the analog domain.  I highly doubt there's an expensive pot in there.  If I buy this one I'll certainly try it as a preamp, but fully expect it to sound better running line out through my preamp.  However it would be a happy surprise if it did sound better. 

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2012, 06:01 pm »
Yes, the comparison was made in a post on Head-Fi, I don't know the gentleman and he seems pretty new there, so didn't post a link.  He liked it as much as a Bel Canto 2.5 and a Keces 151, which seemed a little too high praise to be credible, but it don't hurt.   

Yes.  I should have mentioned the Dark Lord review is wrong, it works as a preamp even when not using headphones.  If you read down in the replies you see he was corrected and he later confirmed he was using the buttons wrong.  The RockGrotto poster shows pics of the manual, all of the manual, every page, and pics of every view you could want of the darn thing, boy he's thorough.  Anyway, you can read the manual there and see you have to push some combination of the two buttons to make the "P-line" LED light up for the unit to function as a preamp.

No, it doesn't work in the digital domain.  For this price we're lucky the thing works in the analog domain.  I highly doubt there's an expensive pot in there.  If I buy this one I'll certainly try it as a preamp, but fully expect it to sound better running line out through my preamp.  However it would be a happy surprise if it did sound better.

PLEASE keep us posted!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2012, 06:34 pm »
I forget where I read it, but it was a review sorta post by somebody here (who I also forget) and they said over and over how it totally shocked him how it was so good. He compared it to another DAC (why would I remember that?) and I just remember thinking if its even close to the other DAC I'm in.

I have had email conversations with a Candy at AUNE about buying direct from them and she was very responsive...its roughly $247 shipped from them, but other folks who sell it on ebay go as low as $198 shipped.......I'll be buying one soon I think. I'll be using it as a DAC/Pre-amp or passive volume control as my Virtue TWO.2 has one input and I need min. of two better if 3...the X1 has the 3 digital inputs and one analog input so it will work for me (SB touch>Coax, Piano M1 CDP>Analog RCA.

I'm also going to get a Jolida FX10 soon also so I can have a SS setup and a Tube setup both using the same front end, I haven't really thought it all out yet.