Icepower 125ASX2 C&C!

Ajani

Re: Icepower 125ASX2 C&C!
« Reply #60 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:14 am »
So I got my Icepower 125ASX2 (A000B) a few days ago.  When I first opened it I was surprised.  I knew this would be small...but it is even small than I thought.  Perfect for someone like me that has limited real estate for my audio setup.  I have been letting it burn in for a few days before I really wanted to do some critical listening.  First impressions are extremely positive.  This amp has a very detailed and smooth sound.  Bass is very defined and tight!  Oh..and this amp is dead quiet and runs very cool so it certainly won't have you cussing out the power company.  My buddy is bring over his Bel Canto so we can compare this weekend but I have a feeling this amp will definitely hold its own!  I highly recommend this amp to those on the fence!

Good to hear that you're impressed so far.

mellifluous

« Reply #61 on: 15 Jun 2012, 08:52 pm »
I just fired up the 125ASX2 unit and it is nice. I was using 2 Class D SDS-254's in bridge mode. With my setup of Pass B-1 preamp and Statement Monitor speakers the Ice unit has better bass and as previously stated is dead quiet. Of course, I have to turn up the volume more as the Class D is 500 watts and this is only 125 but what a great buy.

jb26

« Reply #62 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:52 pm »
Any update on the reviews?

Ajani

« Reply #63 on: 19 Jun 2012, 01:09 am »
I just fired up the 125ASX2 unit and it is nice. I was using 2 Class D SDS-254's in bridge mode. With my setup of Pass B-1 preamp and Statement Monitor speakers the Ice unit has better bass and as previously stated is dead quiet. Of course, I have to turn up the volume more as the Class D is 500 watts and this is only 125 but what a great buy.

Overall, do you prefer the sound of the 125ASX2 to the SDS-254?

mellifluous

« Reply #64 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:01 pm »
To my ears and in my setup, the bass sound a tad better with the 125ASX2. I also like the fact that the ICE amp is much smaller. My SDS setup had a small amount of noise when no music was present. The ICE doesn't have that.

Ajani

« Reply #65 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:56 pm »
To my ears and in my setup, the bass sound a tad better with the 125ASX2. I also like the fact that the ICE amp is much smaller. My SDS setup had a small amount of noise when no music was present. The ICE doesn't have that.

Thanks for the feedback. I had assumed (based solely on price bias) that the SDS amps would be better than then cheaper ICE amps. I must just have to give the 125ASX2 a try.

RCduck7

« Reply #66 on: 27 Jan 2013, 06:42 pm »
I bought an audio streamer from Teac with dac and 2x125 watt bang & Olufsen class D Ice Power amplification inside. Since it propably has the 125ASX2 amplification (don't know what other type from bang & olufsen it could be) and since i bought this new and cheap from a seller on Amazon.de (300euro instead of 675 euro when it just came out), i guess it suits well here on cheap & Cheerful without opening a new topic on it. But watch out for those intrested in buying that have 110 volt mains, i have a 230V version from Amazon Germany. Did this streamer actually made it to the US??

http://www.teac.eu/hifi-audio/audio-streaming/receiver/wap-ax250/

It can be used with either ipad/iphone or teac it's own touchscreen remote (59euro). I was pleasantly suprised by it, not only becausse it is an easy to use on box solution for music on a hdd or playlists from a computer, internet radio, but also it sounds very good to! I have been told it has a pretty good dac and combined with the icepower amp it really makes a good listen. Good channel seperation and soundstage. Music has a certain presence without being forced or uneasy. I don't miss any details and i found there was a good start/stop of sounds. didn't compare it to my other stuff yet. Only gripe is that it won't reach to 24/192 but it does 24/96. But i don't have any high res files yet. Understandable since this unit came out 3 years ago. Others hang on to their Tubes and SS amps and maybe they have also benefits for some, like (pleasant) distortion from tubes. I like my music as pure and simple as possible without adding or taking away from the recording. It does have to sound as it's meant to be, do we really need an expensive system only few can afford for that?? I don't think so. But isn't class D the way to go forward?? Only owners of amplification woth of thousands of $ seem to sniff at class D. But class D being very effecient compared to other amps is a big plus.

marsjx

« Reply #67 on: 13 Feb 2013, 06:46 pm »
There is a new (from around 2010) range of amps from a company called Abletec in europe. ProfusionPlc in the UK stocks their modules and I recently bought two of their ALC1000 modules to experiemnt with. Early tests against ASP500 modules show favorable results and the cost of the modules is great compared to other offerings. I understand that these modules are designed by the same guy who designed the ASX2 range for B&O except abletec offers higher power across the range.

Val

Klaus7112

« Reply #68 on: 21 Jun 2013, 05:03 pm »
Has anyone experienced  this dual-mono 500w/2ch? I'm interested in it because it's powerful although so small
http://www.ghentaudio.com/amp/ga-s500b.html

Coll

« Reply #69 on: 11 May 2014, 09:24 am »
I too would like to know if anyone has purchased or heard the dual mono GA-S500B Ghent amplifier

Gaara

« Reply #70 on: 11 May 2014, 10:59 am »
Has anyone experienced  this dual-mono 500w/2ch? I'm interested in it because it's powerful although so small
http://www.ghentaudio.com/amp/ga-s500b.html

Nope...but I do have the monoblocks.  If you look at his site he put my impressions up top (I'm James from Ebay).  The sound is typical for an IcePower amp, that is to say detailed highs, organic mids, and very punchy bass.  I have always felt IcePower sounded a little warm, but these amps have a very neutral sound, and were very revealing.  Fit and finish they look great.

Coll

« Reply #71 on: 11 May 2014, 03:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply Gaara, nice to get some feedback.
I know of course that the rest of a system makes a lot of difference, my speakers and CD player are fairly bright and I am hoping the Ghent amp is smooth so that I don't end up with an overbright system.
Would you call the treble bright or smooth or otherwise.

Gaara

« Reply #72 on: 12 May 2014, 10:31 am »
I would say it is more warm then bright, but less so then your typical class A amp or gainclone.  For example the Monarchy SM-70 I used to own had a warmer sound then these amps, and I paired that with some brighte speakers well.  I am using my Ghents with Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers and it is a phenomenal pairing.

If you want more info look at reviews for the W4S mAMPs or Red Dragon M500 MKII.  Both these have very similar internals to the Ghents, as they both us the 125ASX2 modules bridged along with a buffer.

Coll

« Reply #73 on: 13 May 2014, 01:51 pm »
Hi gaara great pair of speakers I guess if the amplifier works well with those it will work well with my Monitor Audio Silver 6s

Coll

« Reply #74 on: 21 May 2014, 05:42 pm »
Just received the GA-S500B fitted it in and switched on.
Very well made and sounds great although I am sure it will be even better after burn in.
Just one minor problem is that if I put my ear close to the speakers there is a slight hum which cannot be heard a couple of feet away, should I worry about this is it something that should be eliminated and how.

Gaara

« Reply #75 on: 22 May 2014, 07:27 am »
Just received the GA-S500B fitted it in and switched on.
Very well made and sounds great although I am sure it will be even better after burn in.
Just one minor problem is that if I put my ear close to the speakers there is a slight hum which cannot be heard a couple of feet away, should I worry about this is it something that should be eliminated and how.

Ground loop?  Try disconnecting the amp from your pre/pro and see what kind of noise you get.  When I do this I have a very slight amount of hiss that can only be heard from ~6in away (with very low ambient noise).  If the noise diminishes then it is your pre/pro causing it, or a ground loop somewhere in the chain.

Coll

« Reply #76 on: 22 May 2014, 11:18 am »
The unit I am using as the pre amp was the amplifier before and I am using the pre out now.
Previously I did not get the hum so I am wondering if it is my pre amp or the power amp causing the loop.
I am thinking of disconnecting the earth in the plug of the power amplifier but if this does solve the problem I feel the amp may become unsafe.

Coll

« Reply #77 on: 23 May 2014, 12:20 pm »
Think I was a bit hasty yesterday, swapped sockets and moved some cables and all is perfect now.
I must say the GA-S500B is superb. Well made and sounds great. Plenty of power for my floor standing speakers well controlled bass and neutral not bright.

Gaara

« Reply #78 on: 23 May 2014, 12:29 pm »
Think I was a bit hasty yesterday, swapped sockets and moved some cables and all is perfect now.
I must say the GA-S500B is superb. Well made and sounds great. Plenty of power for my floor standing speakers well controlled bass and neutral not bright.

Glad to hear it.  Neutral is a good description, really shows what your system is made off.

Coll

« Reply #79 on: 23 May 2014, 12:57 pm »
Forgot to say excellent value also.
Thanks for your help Gaara