Triple 12" OB H-frames

NeilT

Re: Triple 12" OB H-frames
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2015, 11:08 pm »
That makes sense, but one more question, if you don't mind.
What made you decide to go 2 x 12, instead of 3 x 8?

I might be going OB Bass in the future.

Thanks
Neil

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2015, 11:42 pm »
I'm not Jay, but I do have the 2x12 in my setup and I went with them because they have more headroom and go lower than the 3 x 8.  I think they are also shorter, so make for a better option as a speaker stand (if you are so inclined), or less visually intrusive if you are not.  But if you can do it at all, using them as stands is IMO their optimal use. 

Early B.

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2015, 11:48 pm »
But if you can do it at all, using them as stands is IMO their optimal use.

Slightly off topic if the OP doesn't mind -- if you use your OB subs as speaker stands, do you guys use spikes or any other kind of isolation? Is it necessary? Do spikes/isolation feet improve the sound?

I'm looking at these and wondering if they would be beneficial underneath the 2x12s: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/subwoofer-accessories/soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2015, 12:28 am »

Thanks
Neil

Neil,

Also not Jay but I chose the 3x8 for two reasons. First, in their current location, I needed the smaller footprint of the 3x8 vs the 2x12. Second, since I was building the bass units for my Wedgies, I plan on re-purposing the drivers and amps into the wedge bass Danny is working on once it is finished.

While both will play just as low (flat to 20Hz, -3dB @ 14Hz) as I understand it the 12's will do it easier with more authority and presence (two 12's have a little more surface area than four 8's).  That being said, the two 3x8 H-Frames are no slouch.  They can bring plenty of bass.

Cost wise there is very little difference (~$140) between four 12" drivers + two A370PEQ amps and six 8" drivers + two HX300 amps. Since the cost is so close, it really comes down to what you need. If you want the most output and don't mind the larger footprint, go with two 12's. If you need a smaller footprint or have other design considerations that would favor them, go with three 8's.

Either way you will end up with some awesome subs.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2015, 12:33 am »
Slightly off topic if the OP doesn't mind -- if you use your OB subs as speaker stands, do you guys use spikes or any other kind of isolation? Is it necessary? Do spikes/isolation feet improve the sound?

I'm looking at these and wondering if they would be beneficial underneath the 2x12s: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/subwoofer-accessories/soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system

Currently I'm not using anything between the sub and the floor. I am using some of Herbie's big fat dots and square fat dots between the Wedgies and the H-Frames http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

Mike

PMAT

« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2015, 01:21 am »
Do these kind of subs sound any different if they are turned sideways? I'm looking for a thinner profile.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2015, 02:08 am »
Currently mine just have some felt pads so I can slide them around but I have a pair of these Isoacoustic modular stands on order. 

NeilT

« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2015, 02:22 am »
Tyson and Mike, thanks for the great feedback.
Maybe Danny can weigh in on this question.
Are the 8's going to be faster / more accurate than the 12's?

Thanks again everyone.
Neil

Early B.

« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2015, 02:23 am »
Do these kind of subs sound any different if they are turned sideways? I'm looking for a thinner profile.

Yes, they sound different turned sideways, but sound better upright.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2015, 02:34 am »

Thanks again everyone.
Neil

Neil,

While conventional wisdom would sy the 8's would be faster and more accurate than the 12's, I think the direct servo technology levels the playing field so that the 12's are just as fast and accurate as the 8's.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2015, 02:43 am »

Thanks
Neil

Neil
Tyson and Mike  pretty  much said what I'd have said.  I did think about  going with the triple 8's ,  when I spooke with Danny before making a decision,  I'd say he nudged me towards the 12's  when using as a standalone  sub which is what I'm doing with the OB7's.
Think the cost for the  dual 12's is  slightly more than Mike posted ($1520) and with  either   setup, you'll definitly want to pick up the no rez (4 sheets fro the dual 12;s, 6 for triple 12's) and a couple pairs of the 4 pole connectors that Danny  carries
I haven't heard the 8's but I  have absolutely  no  reservations about recommending the 12's,  can't imagine not having them  now, they're amazing   :thumb:

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2015, 02:45 am »

Thanks again everyone.
Neil

Sorry, replied before I saw this one...  I asked Danny the same  thing and he said no, with the servo control  the 12's will be  just a fast

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2015, 02:47 am »
Yes, they sound different turned sideways, but sound better upright.

Think he  meant actually sideways  , not laid down (thinner profile ? )
If that's the case, you can't turn them sideways,   you'll get   very little output as there are nulls at the sdies (front/rear waves cancelling)

jay

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2015, 02:55 am »
Neil,

While conventional wisdom would sy the 8's would be faster and more accurate than the 12's, I think the direct servo technology levels the playing field so that the 12's are just as fast and accurate as the 8's.

Mike

This is correct.

PMAT

« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2015, 03:01 am »
That's right, I forgot about that. Cancellation. I will be combining some small speakers that won't look too good on bigger subs. It will be in a room where looks really count.

Tyson

« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2015, 03:09 am »
If the 12's are too wide, then the 8's will be a significantly smaller footprint.

PMAT

« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2015, 03:13 am »
Yes, the allure of 12's is a weakness of mine. I am hooked on OB. I want to build with some beautiful hardwood.

Captainhemo

« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2015, 03:38 am »
The 12's are pretty wide,  if you use a doulbe (1.5") side panels,  you're  a 16" (15.5"  if you use Ruben's flat packs I think).
I've thrown the little X LS Encores up on top  and they sound  great togethe. The subs are so adjustable you  cna  combine them with pretty much   whatever

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2015, 03:58 am »
With 1 1/2" side panels, the 3x8 H-frame is 12 1/2" wide. If you build the top with an overhang like Ruben does visually they are larger. However, if you cut the tops flush like Jay does in this thread they will look slimmer.

Mike

PMAT

« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2015, 04:32 am »
The 8's will look the best. I'm sure they sound great. I haven't heard either.