Which Rez is the Best Rez

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Which Rez is the Best Rez
« on: 8 Jul 2011, 05:06 pm »
There are some new albums on HDTracks (What's New, for example) that I'm considering. I typically opt for the highest resolution but am wondering if 96/24 is good enough in most cases. One of Ted's posts indicated that the 192/24 Stones releases weren't worth the upcharge.

So how do most of you decide when offered multiple resolution choices?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Which Rez is the Best Rez
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2011, 08:04 pm »
Very good question!!  It's difficult.  Music lovers, audio lovers, audiophiles all are finding out slowly (but surely) that a lot of these classic albums from the 50's-80's are merely being re-distributed under the hirez banner and under a hirez "vehicle" to garner more baby boomer money, but in fact many of them are either redbook upsamples or marginally hirez (meaning they have some slight musical energy above 22k or 30k but quickly die out after that, making anything more than 24/88k a waste of space.  Yet some are true diamonds in the rough.  At least that's what I've come to surmise......and thank you for quoting me correctly!  Somehow a British magazine (and Mark Waldrep from AIX) quoted me as saying the Stones stuff was better at 24/192 (or 24/176k).  !!??

To further the confusion, forums like CA have standardized on the colorful spectral analysis for the hirez courtroom when a much better graph is the spectrum analysis brought out by the Blackman-Harris windows in the same software (Audacity, Sound Forge Pro, etc). 

Example:
Patricia Barber-Verse (MFSL SACD)

jamesg11

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2011, 05:30 am »
Ted - just read that the other day (p.18 june 2011 hifinews, & they use "..."!) - so what's the current consensus?: which, if any, of the hdtracks stones is best @ 24/176?

Do we compile a list, & get keith howard to audit the results!! Huh. 8)

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:31 am »
To further the confusion, forums like CA have standardized on the colorful spectral analysis for the hirez courtroom when a much better graph is the spectrum analysis brought out by the Blackman-Harris windows in the same software (Audacity, Sound Forge Pro, etc). 

Great job Padawan.... :thumb:

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:12 am »
Great job Padawan.... :thumb:

Thank you oh re-Master!  I feel the hirez force around me!!