Do I need new equipment?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Do I need new equipment?
« on: 2 Sep 2009, 08:57 pm »
I've read some nice things about Blu-Ray audio and would like to give it a listen. But I have a first generation Sony player that doesn't support the latest codecs. Would I need to buy a new player, like the Oppo BDP-83? If I bought the Oppo, would I need to update my fairly recent Yamaha receiver?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Do I need new equipment?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2009, 09:04 pm »
Need more details.  The total number of Hirez audio codecs available in BluRay are two compressed ones that need decoding (either in the player or sent via HDMI to the processor/receiver) Dolby TrueHD,and DTS HD Master Audio (MA), and then uncompressed linear LPCM up to 24/192.  What is it that you Sony BluRay won't play or bitstream over to the Yammy?  What codecs does the Yammy decodde?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2009, 10:48 pm »
The player is a BDP-S1. I read on the Sony site that is supports Dolby Digital Plus and True HD with the 2.0 firmware installed.  :thumb: (Will have to see what level I have.)

So now the question is whether my Yamaha 2700 will pass the signal over hdmi.

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2009, 11:51 pm »
Yes, the 2700 will accept already-decoded audio via HDMi (it has HDMI 1.2).  The Yammy 2700 does not decode BluRay codecs, so you'll need your player to do that and then send the decoded PCM along the HDMi highway to the Yammy (or into the 7.1 analog ins).  The S1 firmware will allow the Sony to decode TrueHD (not DTS HD MA though) and send via HDMi to the Yammy.

If you get a new player make sure it decodes...some of the newer players only send, via HDMI, bitstreamed codecs for the processor to decode, and since you Yamaha 2700 doesn't, that "transport only" type player is not a good fit for you.  The Oppo BD-83 will decode EVERYTHING.   :D

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:59 pm »
Firmware-wise I'm at 3.7 on the Sony, so TrueHD is doable. FWIW, I'd love to have a BD-83. I have an 980 and am very pleased with the performance (and cost).

Thanks again, Ted.

Steve

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2009, 04:54 pm »
I checked out a few Blu-Ray music-only discs and didn't find any that supported TrueHD. Most offered LPCM as an option, however, and it appears that the Sony BDP-S1 will playback multichannel PCM. I'm not sure about two channel. Has anyone tried using this particular player with hi-rez music?