Time for a speaker upgrade. Need help narrowing list, $2500

AintJoM0mma

Hi, I will be buying some speakers shortly. I will have them paired with an Odyssey dual mono amp (plenty of power), Tempest (Odyssey) preamp, Ridge Street Audio interconnects and speaker cable, and an Audio Aero Prima cd player. I can go Sub + Monitor, 3-way tower, or 2-way with sub, dosent matter to me. I have a small room (12' x 12') and my budget is $2500. I went to listen to some B&W's at the dealer and like what I heard from the Naut. 804's. Wide soundstage, clear, detailed, musical. Im looking for speakers like that. I usually listen to rock (old and new) so I want speakers that can handel that and sound very emotionally involving while doing it. I just want very real sounding speakers. My choices so far are:

Speakers:
-Dynaudio Contour 2.8\Contour 1.8mkII\Audience 82
-Avalon Avatar
-Focus Legacy\FS 688
-Totem Forest\Hawk\Staff
-Vandersteen 3A Signautre  
-Aerial Acoustics
-Soliloquy 6.3
-Merlin VSM-M
-Theil CS 2.4
-Gershman Avant Garde RX-20
-Anthony Gallo Refrence III
-ATC SCM20SL\SCM35
-Silverline Sonata II
-Von Schweikert VR4-JR
-Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7U\Taylo Refrence II
-B&W Nautalis 804****Not planning to buy, just using for refrence
-JM Reynaud Offrande
-PMC OB-1

What should I take off\add to the list? I need to narrow it down a lot before I go audition some.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:09 pm »
You have so many choices that sound so different, not really sure how to even respond.

Most of the speakers you listed won't sound like the B&W's (which to my ears don't sound the way you described).

I think you need to just go out and hear some more speakers (I would try and listen to different types) and get a better feel of what you like/dislike.

At that point, this group will be better able to offer some thoughts.

George

vpolineni

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:11 pm »
I have the same musical tastes as you with a larger room.  Given your amp and preamp, I think the odyssey lorelei speakers would be a great match for your system.  Captain Humble is selling his:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13736

I've heard the odyssey epiphony speakers and they were ridiculously good.  they were great with rock music.  I can only imagine how good the loreleis must be.  hope this helps.  good luck.

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:11 pm »
Any reason the Odyssey Lorelei aren't on your list - seems like an obvious starting point given your other equipment.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:17 pm »
Having just heard the Lorelei's at RMAF, they are very good speakers indeed.

I still think he needs to figure out his likes/dislikes better before getting serious.

George

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:19 pm »
I just thought some of the other speakers would be another step up. What I have an odyssey amp so I have to get their speakers? Dont think so 8)

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:26 pm »
If its any help, I listened to paradigm and hated them, thin and lifeless.

Double Ugly

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:28 pm »
Quote from: AintJoM0mma
What I have an odyssey amp so I have to get their speakers? Dont think so 8)

I can't and won't speak for those making the posts above, but I think their intent was to say if you like the sound of your amps, you'll probably like the sound of Klaus' speakers.  I don't believe anyone was trying to tell you that you have to get anything.

FWIW, I also heard the Lorelei at RMAF and was suitably impressed.  Gear you buy from Klaus (amps, pre-amps, cables, speakers, etc) is also said to have a special synergy by those who own it.  YMMV, of course, but I think you're reading too much - or perhaps too little - into the comments above.

DU

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:39 pm »
dont forget the odyssey speakers are clones of a 7000 $ speaker-just has the cabinets made in canada :mrgreen:

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:41 pm »
Dude, first off- your list is way too big.  You need to narrow your choices down.  What is the primary thing you want?  If you want musicality, and listen mainly to rock- NAIM electronics-
Loudseakers-NEAT/REGA/Living Voice

My 2 cents.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:45 pm »
Hmmmm, my primary thing I want. I cant do that, each thing is equally importany. The most important things are Musicallity, Dynamics(for rock), and airyness. Airyness includes seperation and realism, timbre, accuracy, and depth.

Edit: I also want a detialed speaker, but not so detailed that it takes away from the music.

djbnh

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:48 pm »
Can you get Von Schweikert VR4-JRs for $2,500?

FYI - I have Odyssey amp/preamp. Wish I could afford Loreleis... :roll:

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2004, 11:35 pm »
Yeah I could. I hear some negative things about them though. Why there are so many for sale...

PhilNYC

Re: Time for a speaker upgrade. Need help narrowing list, $2
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2004, 11:59 pm »
-Focus Legacy\FS 688 ...

FYI - the Legacy Focus is a different speaker from the Focus Audio FS688.

rosconey

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:06 am »
one of the guys has a pair of rm40(vmps) in your range

Mad DOg

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:09 am »
Yeah I could. I hear some negative things about them though. Why there are so many for sale...

do you mean you've heard them yourself and have some negative opinions or you've read some negative things about them?

either way, i'm curious about the negative things have you heard or read?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:11 am »

There are 4 on Audiogon, but the cheapest is $2750.

There are probably this many b/c many people do what you are doing and buy without hearing and figuring out what they really want.  

George

audioslave

speaker choices
« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:20 am »
Most everyone hear agrees your list is too long.....
I would go listen to each of those speakers and start doing some sort of elimination. Once you have it down to three, then really go back and do some critical listening. System synergy is very important-it is not just a matter of taking the "best" speaker and throwing it into the mix. :nono: Not everything speaker works with every system.
I have heard the Lorelei's and they are very good. I don't own them but I do own an Odyssey amp/pre. They work extremely well with your gear so you never would have to worry in the least bit about system synergy. They are very musical and offer an "airy" presence that you are looking for. Klaus made sure of this fact.
You can use reviews and opinions as a base in shopping for speakers but it is not the final judgement. Only your own ears can tell you this, so learn to trust them-after all, you will be the one living with your system for the long haul.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:25 am »
The VMPS RM40 is INSANLEY HUGE did you look at my room dimensions!?!? Anyway, about the VR4 JR's. I heard they start out open and musical and with time become compressed and analitical, that is why there are so many for sale.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:26 am »
And a lot of speakers can mate good with a neutral solid state amp.