Just got a 1.7

BachToRock

Just got a 1.7
« on: 18 Dec 2004, 01:41 am »
Hey there... I am a LONGTIME Bryston amp user and just picked up a 1.7 processor... it is version-41.0... it it in the dark ages?

When I assembled my HT I had the opportunity to audition a few high-end processors at home including the 1.7 which I thought was the best of the bunch.

The finest sound I experienced was using the 5 channel Analog outputs of my Denon DVD-9000 into a SONY P9000ES 5 channel Analog preamp then to the Bryston amps... no Processor at all... pure and simple!
In any case, I though I would give the 1.7 another try and be able to enjoy some of the additional soundfields.

Any words of advice regarding the unit and/or the Firmware revisions?

Adz523

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2004, 03:12 am »
What other processors did you audition against the 1.7?

Levi

Bryston SP1.7
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2004, 05:22 am »
Yes.  If you are going to listen to music, use the 2-ch by-pass and analog connection from your DAC or CDp.  Set it Max or Full.  Sit and enjoy!

BachToRock

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2004, 03:16 pm »
I tried a few of the hot processors of the moment... I liked the Integra Research RDC-7 second best to the 1.7 and then the Lexicon.  We ended up purchasing a RDC-7 for my bosses system!
Bryston power of course... 4 - 7BSST's powering 4 B&W Nautilus 801's and a 3BSST powering a Nautilus HTM Center Channel

nicolasb

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2004, 03:27 pm »
The finest sound I experienced was using the 5 channel Analog outputs of my Denon DVD-9000 into a SONY P9000ES 5 channel Analog preamp then to the Bryston amps... no Processor at all... pure and simple!

Really? Wow. The SP1.7 is an awfully good 5.1-channel analogue pre-amp - I presume you've tried it in 5.1 analogue bypass mode?

it is version-41.0... it it in the dark ages?

The latest version is 44, but that's only a software revision, not hardware, and it can be upgraded fairly cheaply.

BachToRock

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2004, 01:39 pm »
The SONY TAP9000ES is an OUTSTANDING piece... it bettered the 1.7's 5 channel analogue performance.

Thanks... I emailed James Tanner about purchasing the upgrade firmware package for my 1.7... hopefully he will respond today and I can get that baby up & running at it's best!

Levi

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2004, 05:41 pm »
I called James about the Bryston SP1.7 performance on the 5 channel analog.  Bryston philosophy in keeping analog in it's state, the SACD player should be doing the bass-processing.  

Quote from: BachToRock
The SONY TAP9000ES is an OUTSTANDING piece... it bettered the 1.7's 5 channel analogue performance.

Thanks... I emailed James Tanner about purchasing the upgrade firmware package for my 1.7... hopefully he will respond today and I can get that baby up & running at it's best!

BachToRock

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2004, 10:19 pm »
Quote from: Levi
I called James about the Bryston SP1.7 performance on the 5 channel analog.  Bryston philosophy in keeping analog in it's state, the SACD player should be doing the bass-processing.

I don't understand what you are saying?
Of course, the Denon DVD9000 IS doing the processing... I was stating that the P9000ES displayed better 5 channel analogue performance than the 1.7

BachToRock

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2004, 10:23 pm »

Of course, the Denon DVD9000 IS doing the processing... I was stating that the P9000ES displayed better 5 channel analogue performance than the 1.7

Levi

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2004, 11:05 pm »

My understanding is that the SP1.7 is only doing a pass-through.  All you are hearing is the SACD player.  The P9000ES process the input from analog state to digital(processing) back to analog again.

BachToRock

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2004, 11:34 pm »

My understanding is that the SP1.7 is only doing a pass-through.  All you are hearing  ...

The 5.1 outputs of the DVD players are ANALOG and need something to control the volume to the amplifiers...
The P9000ES is PURELY ANALOG with discrete circuits for each channel and a fantastic volume control... needless to say, it provides the purest path for the 5.1 outputs of the DVD player and this enviroment is where I have discovered the finest reproduction of multi-channel sound...
The DVD9000 is bulit to the highest standards and uses Burr Brown 1704 DACS is all channels including pairs in dual differential for the front L & R.
I am hoping the 1.7 with the latest upgrades will give me the same quality of sound along with the benefit of the added soundfields & processing...

Still waiting to hear from James on aquiring the upgrades for my unit... JAMES... please respond.

Levi

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2004, 12:24 am »
Let's hope that you get the upgrade and the sound you are looking for.  I will have to send mine aswell.

BachToRock

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2004, 12:28 am »
I am pretty sure it is just a little kit they send you and it is a simple procedure of removing the cover and replacing some items with the new ones...

nicolasb

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2004, 05:33 pm »
I am hoping the 1.7 with the latest upgrades will give me the same quality of sound along with the benefit of the added soundfields & processing...

There's no way that a software upgrade is going to improve the analogue bypass performance.

BachToRock

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2004, 05:47 pm »
That's a given... I am hoping that the 5.1 decoding in the 1.7 has improved to the level of sound I am getting out of the DVD9000...
I heard back from Bryston today and the kit is only $50.00... can't wait to get it installed!

thxultra

Just got a 1.7
« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2004, 09:43 pm »
The software upgrade only provides operation changes and does not improve the 5.1/7.1 decoding

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Just got a 1.7
« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2004, 12:36 pm »
Hi All,

The software does not change any aspects of the bypass performance. It is simply a set of commands.
The bypass stage on the SP1.7 is a fully discrete Class A circuit and is state of the art. It beats the pants off any of the common IC circuits out there used in most mass produced products.

james