NRB, ST, SST Differences?

4WR

« on: 2 Nov 2004, 03:48 pm »
Hey people!.... first post
I'm currently researching a 4B to compliment my 9B-ST in a 7.1 system.
A decent deal has come up on a circa '97-'98  NRB model. What is the NRB designation? Will it be sonically different than my ST version 9B? Or, should I be looking for another ST possibly an SST?
FWIW.. I'm driving Paradigm Monitor series all around. Not "high end" by any stretch but, decent.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Take Care
4WR

Eric

« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2004, 04:20 pm »
I can only speak to the differences betwwwn the ST and SST versions. I own a 4BSST. I auditioned it sided by side with a 4BST. I found the SST to be smoother and have better  bass control than the ST. The SST retained the excellent neutrality of the ST but added a better sense of musicality and long term listenability

Fife12

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2004, 05:21 pm »
4WR,

I think you may be fine usign a NRB for the rears and surrounds assuming your system is not to evolving.

A lot of people use SST for the front 3 channels and get ST's for the side/rears. I think you should be ok unless you are really picky.

4WR

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2004, 06:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies..
My plan is to use the 4B for my mains and have the 9B do center and surround duties.  So what is the NRB series? Is it a repackaged PRO model that came out before the ST series?  There seems to be a consensus that there are major sonic differences between the ST and SST lines but very little info on the NRB compared to the ST.

Thanks again
4WR

Fife12

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2004, 07:36 pm »
The NRB came with regular and Pro just like the ST and SST.

The NRB is quite old and the majority are probably closing in on the 20 year mark. I believe that some of the NRB were capable to be upgraded close to ST status.

I think you will find some sonic differences between the NRB and ST just as fromt eh ST to SST. It really depends on what you are looking for within your budget.
If I were to use it for my front 2, I would go ST since you already have a 9B ST. Whether you can afford a 4BST is another issue.

4WR

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2004, 08:49 pm »
Fife12....
That's exactly the info I was looking for.
The seller claims that it was purchased NEW in '97-'98 but I had my doubts. I will hold off until an ST or SST come up. I want to be happy with at least my amplification for a long while.
Thanks for your input.

Cheers!!

brystonbrad

edit
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2004, 10:31 pm »
edit