Building the ZEUS

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Building the ZEUS
« on: 20 Aug 2018, 05:55 pm »
We are consumed with building this set of ZEUS for a client and I thought I would post some pics of the build process.  More to come from before this point and of course after....
btw the owner ordered very special wood, figured baked maple for the upper cabinets with Claro walnut for the baffles and base cabinets.  :thumb:

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Building the ZEUS
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2018, 09:21 pm »
Stunning. Are these John's?

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2018, 09:56 pm »
Lou,
Two separate woods , different density I presume , how would it effect the SQ specially with  Claro walnut baffles and exterior maple wood ?
Asghar

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2018, 11:42 pm »
Stunning. Are these John's?
Yes!  John has been incredibly patient, a true gentleman. He understands that these are more than just speakers and I am trying to give him the works of art he wants.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2018, 11:44 pm »
Lou,
Two separate woods , different density I presume , how would it effect the SQ specially with  Claro walnut baffles and exterior maple wood ?
Asghar

The density of all our woods are very close, plus we brace these so heavily that there is no SQ difference.
thanks,
lou

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2018, 12:34 am »
Patience...'incredibly patient'.... Lou you crack me up.  It certainly has been a journey and a wonderful one at that.  It is you who has been more than patient with me.  Sheepishly admitting to this forum I am likely the most high maintenance customer.  These speakers hit the mark.  They are duckin' amazing on all fronts! :D 

For those who do not know, I had ordered Poseidon that underwent some delays and when they were finally completed at a time where both of our schedules to allow delivery, the re-design 10" driver came to be.  Lou knew the room and I asked what will offer the best sound for my family to enjoy.  Lou was willing to sell my current speakers which I never took ownership to another interested person and work on something special, inclusive of woods.  They needed to be something specials as the home itself is a timber frame with tons of native NW wood.

Rushing a project like this is a fool's errand.  I am tempted to have my partner coat the bottom of the boxes with my ashes and hand them down to my children, which I am sure will be a first for a Daedalus speaker.  In all seriousness, our retirement house will be designed around these speakers.

Lou, even unfinished, these speakers have a unique design and are something special to enjoy for years to come.

It is I who is forever grateful for your patience and willingness to take on this endeavor.

There will be some interesting and rare equipment driving these speakers.  PM for those who are curious.  And of course anyone visiting the Portland area are welcome to listen once the system settles.

A_shah

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2018, 04:45 am »
Patience...'incredibly patient'.... Lou you crack me up.  It certainly has been a journey and a wonderful one at that.  It is you who has been more than patient with me.  Sheepishly admitting to this forum I am likely the most high maintenance customer.  These speakers hit the mark.  They are duckin' amazing on all fronts! :D 

For those who do not know, I had ordered Poseidon that underwent some delays and when they were finally completed at a time where both of our schedules to allow delivery, the re-design 10" driver came to be.  Lou knew the room and I asked what will offer the best sound for my family to enjoy.  Lou was willing to sell my current speakers which I never took ownership to another interested person and work on something special, inclusive of woods.  They needed to be something specials as the home itself is a timber frame with tons of native NW wood.

Rushing a project like this is a fool's errand.  I am tempted to have my partner coat the bottom of the boxes with my ashes and hand them down to my children, which I am sure will be a first for a Daedalus speaker.  In all seriousness, our retirement house will be designed around these speakers.

Lou, even unfinished, these speakers have a unique design and are something special to enjoy for years to come.

It is I who is forever grateful for your patience and willingness to take on this endeavor.

There will be some interesting and rare equipment driving these speakers.  PM for those who are curious.  And of course anyone visiting the Portland area are welcome to listen once the system settles.

If I am not mistaken I think I am the person who picked up the Poseidon you had ordered , if my memory serves me correctly I think Lou casually mentioned to me when I visited him in Feb. of this year that the Poseidon were ordered by someone who now wants to upgrade to the ZEUS , I am absolutely delighted with them  I did not get a chance to listen to the Zeus but did audition both the Apollo along with the Poseidon, to me immediate availability mattered , I was also  lucky enough to  get  custom built QuicKsilver Audio Mono 60 watt amps by Mark Sanders  , which just sounds amazing he had a variant of those amps at the California Audio Show this year and now I believe are on his website but mine are configured differently , I certainly would love to the know amplification and what  systems would be driving these ZEUS speakers. :thumb: :thumb:

Asghar

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2018, 03:55 am »
Yes!  John has been incredibly patient, a true gentleman. He understands that these are more than just speakers and I am trying to give him the works of art he wants.

John's one of the good guys. I did not know anything about Dedalus until I met John. His praise pointed me in your direction. Much respect and appreciation for what you do and are able to accomplish with real wood speakers. Nice work. Patiently, waiting for more to come.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2018, 02:57 pm by paul79 »

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2018, 04:13 am »

We finally have the first coat of oil on them..... oh my!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2018, 04:17 am »

This shows the base cabinets which expand the cabinet volume. The groove around the hole is for the O-ring which gives us an air tight seal.
more pics soon......

cheech

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2018, 12:46 pm »
Beautiful build and detail Lou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dodgealum

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2018, 09:03 pm »
They look awesome Lou! Would love to hear more about how the two cabinets work together to generate bass frequencies. Does the lower box have an active driver, passive radiator, transmission folds? What are your design objectives with the second box?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2018, 05:15 pm »
They look awesome Lou! Would love to hear more about how the two cabinets work together to generate bass frequencies. Does the lower box have an active driver, passive radiator, transmission folds? What are your design objectives with the second box?

I'll be writing more about this with pictures in the coming week as I flesh out our web pages on the Apollo series. In short the added volume allows for a more flat and natural bass response, especially needed with the fast, short throw woofers we make.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:19 pm »
I think these were in one of the rooms at last years RMAF.  If so, then this was my favorite speaker at that show.  Too spendy for me, but now I think someday I might buy one of the smaller speakers.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2018, 03:08 am »

crossovers loaded yesterday!!!! pics of the final product tomorrow. Beautiful combination of woods, figured baked maple and Claro Walnut!

btw anyone know why pics won't load properly on AC??????

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2018, 05:53 am »

Lou,

There's a gravitational anomaly in your workshop. I noticed it both times I visited. The only way to fix it is to give me the Zeus speakers in exchange for my Apollos. It's the least I can do to help you out.  :thumb:

A_shah

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2018, 01:16 am »

crossovers loaded yesterday!!!! pics of the final product tomorrow. Beautiful combination of woods, figured baked maple and Claro Walnut!

btw anyone know why pics won't load properly on AC??????

It happens all the time Lou, you just need "to rotate them" before uploading don't  know about the Zeus  I'd love to have them with  all those fancy crossovers ! unfortunately they maybe too big for my environment !But who knows I may trade in my Poseidon for for the Apollo 11 instead of getting in the new tweeters, don't forget to load in the Demo on utube at the CAF perhaps I may fly in next Feb. to check them out at your place for a DEMO ! :popcorn:
 :thumb:
Asghar

oem-wheels

« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2018, 01:21 am »
wow... it looks like you'll need 1000 watts just to power through the crossover region

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2018, 02:14 am »
wow... it looks like you'll need 1000 watts just to power through the crossover region
Actually that was done so 10 watts would work, and probably about 30 to 40 tube watts would suffice in most setups.

Alan

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2018, 04:32 am »
Actually that was done so 10 watts would work, and probably about 30 to 40 tube watts would suffice in most setups.

Alan

spot on Alan. Using a large number of high end caps to make up the values that would usually be filled with one electrolytic cap is one part to making the crossover disappear.  These are incredibly easy to drive, just a few watts and you are there!