Optical or HDMI to USB Conversion???

jwr159

Optical or HDMI to USB Conversion???
« on: 15 Jun 2020, 01:42 pm »
Hi:

I am looking for a solution, but can't seem to find anything on the Internet to solve the problem.

I have a Samsung Q70 TV, which has optical and HDMI outputs. My DAC, unfortunately, has only a USB input.  Is such a conversion possible? If anyone in the know can share a solution or an explanation of why it can't be done, it would be appreciated.

I am currently using a surround receiver into a 5:2 system. But I am not happy with the sound. Much prefer swap in my 2-channel system, which means swapping in my stereo speakers, integrated amp and DAC. I just need to figure out how to feed the audio from the TV into the DAC. ...

Thanks for any help or feedback.

WC

Re: Optical or HDMI to USB Conversion???
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2020, 02:01 pm »
USB DAC inputs are only useful where a computer or phone type device can output to USB. There isn't a way to convert to it without a computer in the path.

jwr159

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2020, 04:02 pm »
Thank you WC for the comments. 

tme110

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2020, 06:28 pm »
you could use an optical rendu, which does use a custom built in computer, but I imagine that's way over the top for what you want.  I know I've seen some very cheap HDMI audio extractors that convert to optical but I doubt they'd be good enough for any improvement in your system.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2020, 06:51 pm »
You could use an optical --> analog RCA adapter plugged into your integrated, your DAC is not used for the TV. Return it if sound is lousy.

Digital Toslink Optical to Analog Stereo Audio RCA L/R Audio Adapter - $18 incl. shipping
https://www.newegg.com/p/2VR-00BK-002A5?Description=optical%20audio%20to%20rca%20cable&cm_re=optical_audio_to_rca_cable-_-9SIAN05B7V0778-_-Product

jwr159

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2020, 07:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I took a look at the Rendu web sight.  As best I can tell the closest product they offer is an optical ethernet to USB converter. I don't think that will work for me.

As for the cheap DAC, I have already considered that option  - meaning selling my existing DAC and getting a new DAC with the needed optical input. I really enjoy my existing DAC and am willing to spend several hundred dollars to find a solution so I can continue using it. But if the solution costs significantly more, just getting a new DAC will seem like the best option.

So if there are solutions out there, I'd love to hear. Otherwise, I may have a really nice TD1541 DAC for sale soon....

WC

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2020, 08:37 pm »
Do you have available analog inputs into your integrated amp? If so, you could still keep your existing DAC for music and just add a second DAC for just the TV input.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2020, 11:12 pm »
Why are you not happy with the sound of your 5.2 surround when using the TV?

My surround processor has pre-outs so I run the L and R outputs into the Van Alstine pre-amp for better sound. Instead of a new DAC maybe you need a better receiver. This configuration doesn't work very well if you have a family with multiple users, too many electronics to turn on, set to the correct input and adjust volume for home theater, then remembering to turn the pre-amp down before listening to music. But the surround sound is killer.

Plan D:
If the TV has RCA analog audio out jacks just run interconnect cables to the integrated amp.

Plan E:
Does this TV have Bluetooth? The receivers are cheap, plug one into your integrated amp. There are plenty to choose from.

https://www.amazon.com/adaptador-Bluetooth-reproducci%C3%B3n-inal%C3%A1mbrico-inteligentes/dp/B016NUTG5K/ref=asc_df_B016NUTG5K/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309833041189&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1509170503835474472&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030244&hvtargid=pla-523770557921&psc=1

jwr159

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2020, 12:11 am »
My HT system for TV and movies is fine, and fact darn good for movies. But for music, it is lacking. Out of curiosity, I hooked up my DAC and integrated amp to the L & R speakers of the surround system. In about 2 seconds, I made my mind up to switch to my two-channel system. And my stereo speakers are significantly better than the L&R speakers. And yes I realize that this experiment strongly suggests my surround (Onkyo RZ??) is the weak link.

The real problem is I only have one room for both TV and music and the room is not big enough for both systems. With my priority being music, I think the choice is clear.  I can spend money on new DAC or on a new receiver. For me, the choice is clear - a new DAC.