Smashing Pumpkins Hi-rez

mcallister

Smashing Pumpkins Hi-rez
« on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:48 am »
Anyone download these yet? http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/reissues two great albums.

Kinger

Re: Smashing Pumpkins Hi-rez
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm »
I have not, but I absolutely love both albums.  Curious as to what people think of the remasters.

toddbagwell

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:36 am »
I got them downloaded.

i had issues with Win7 64 and getting the two large zip archives to open [each double album was ~4GB] windows kept saying the .zip archive was "invalid"

once I got individual links from the download service, I was in business.

I've listened to each of the studio albums once, and have not listened to the bonus tracks yet.

IMO, Gish is much improved from the CD version. the dynamic range was much improved from the standard CD mix. the bass, mids and treble seemed natural and not excessive.

I'd say the Gish Download is a must for any serious Pumpkins fan.

Siamese Dream is OK. I didn't do any back to back comparisons, but nothing jumped out as markedly beter than my memory of the CD version.

Chris K. posted some spectrograms and measured the Dynamic range of the siamese dream album, and it appeared to be ~2db louder on average than the DCD version.

In my opinion, siamese dream is a fine download, but on first listen, I didn't feel it was incredibly better than the original.

After listening to both albums, the next redbook album I listened to did sound flat, dull and lifeless compared to the 24/96 pumpkins tracks, so maybe siamese dream is a bit better than I'm giving it credit for, but GIsh seemed the better of the  two.

todd

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2011, 02:14 pm »
Nice this is what more bands need to do. 

pslate

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2011, 09:37 pm »
I purchased the Siamese Dream wav file, and compared to the iTunes download that I previously had, it was a nice upgrade. The bass seemed to be fuller to me, more rich, with better imaging in general. But take this worth a grain of salt, since the comparison was to your standard iTunes lossless download. Topspin, the vendor for electronic files, is not set up well to be a provider of 4 gb downloads. They must have some sort of upload bottle neck. In short, it is a good buy for a fan who did not rip hi-rez from a cd.

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2011, 02:29 am »
But take this worth a grain of salt, since the comparison was to your standard iTunes lossy download.

Corrected.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2011, 02:55 am »
Gish I would buy in a heartbeat. Please don't be $40.

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2011, 04:18 am »
$30 per?!?!?! Those are crack prices!

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2011, 04:57 am »
At $30 for the hirez, my cd will sound just fine, thanks.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2011, 01:58 pm »
24/96 WAV files are $17.99/album or $27.99 for each 2CD set in 24/96 WAV