Metal, hard rock, alternative hi rez downloads?

gregcss

Metal, hard rock, alternative hi rez downloads?
« on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:55 pm »
Seems most of the 24/96+ downloads are outside of the music genres I listen to. I do have a couple SACD/DVD-A discs (godsmack, disturbed, aerosmith), but I have not been able to find hi rez downloads from these and similar artists. Are these downloads even available?

Thanks.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Metal, hard rock, alternative hi rez downloads?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2011, 04:12 pm »
There aren't many!  :(  I guess they feel hard rockers aren't really audiophiles!! 

Your slightly better choices for hirez computer files in these genres would be to buy the DVD-A's or SACD's then rip them to files.  Choices aren't exactly metal but you have Deep Purple and a few others.  Alternative fans have Beck, Dead Can Dance, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Yes, Flaming Lips, etc.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2011, 05:36 pm »
Check out bands individual websites. They sometimes offer downloads so people can sample and hear their music, however most of these are MP3 and not even up to CD quality, but you may get lucky.

gregcss

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2011, 05:48 pm »
thanks ted. i'll check out the thread on ripping them.

Is there a general consensus on the quality of a ripped SACD/DVD-A versus the actual disc versus 24/96 downloads? What I mean is, it is really worth buying SACD/DVD-A to rip them versus buying a regular CD to rip.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2011, 06:16 pm »
thanks ted. i'll check out the thread on ripping them.

Is there a general consensus on the quality of a ripped SACD/DVD-A versus the actual disc versus 24/96 downloads? What I mean is, it is really worth buying SACD/DVD-A to rip them versus buying a regular CD to rip.

The debate is not buy DVD-A vs cd, it's buy DVD-A or download hirez.  I only would buy the DVD-A/SACD if you can rip the stereo layer and also enjoy the (bonus) multichannel layer.

gregcss

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm »
...buy the DVD-A's or SACD's then rip them to files.

Hi Ted, I was able to rip my one and only DVD-A using DVD Audio Extracter that you recommended in another thread. Thanks! However, I've been reading that it is impossible to rip SACD because the format is locked down and very few computer disc drives can read it. Can you confirm?

ted_b

• Facilitator

gregcss

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2011, 10:56 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.0

Thanks but i don't have a PS3, and since I only have 5 SACDs it's no big deal.