Hi-Rez Rolling Stones

pansixt

Hi-Rez Rolling Stones
« on: 17 Jan 2013, 01:17 am »
I've been on this Stones kick lately, and hearing more in some recordings than I ever did. It's awesome. 8)
Midlife crisis maybe? Ears more in tune? (after all of these years :scratch:)

Anyone have any favorites from the Rolling Stones Store on HDtracks or another Hi-Rez source?
And are any sounding better than others to you?
Thanks,
James
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2013, 02:17 am by pansixt »

Photon46

Re: Hi-Rez Rolling Stones
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:18 am »
Hi Rez Stones isn't going to sound much better than lo rez in my experience, at least as far as their classic stuff goes. I see your system description says you have a turntable, so I'd suggest looking for this release on vinyl. I really like it myself and it sounds fabulous. http://www.allmusic.com/album/stripped-mw0000173022 Also look for these Keith Richards solo works, two great albums that have very good sound as well. http://www.allmusic.com/album/talk-is-cheap-mw0000201052 http://www.allmusic.com/album/main-offender-mw0000087884

firedog

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2013, 01:45 pm »
The Stones remasters done by Bob Ludwig Sound great. I think his are the ABKCO releases up to Sticky Fingers. I have some in CD, DSD, and HDTracks.
He originally took DSD conversions of the analog master tapes and remastered the DSD for release on SACD.

SQ in descending order:

1. DSD (extracted file from SACD)
2. HD Tracks hi-res (they're based on resample from DSD/SACD master file)
3) CD - based on same DSD conversion from analog masters as above versions, but converted to CD (16/44.1) PCM.

But the differences in SQ aren't huge. They all sound good, even the CD.  Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Beggars Banquet are all great sounding.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2013, 03:35 pm »
There's a lot of Stone tunes I like so I ordered the Bluray.
I received it a few days ago,I was expecting much better audio than what I heard.
Sounds very much like AM radio.
Wish I had a cd or better yet an LP to compare which I'm sure the LP would sound better as I do have other LP's that sound 100% better.
At least the price from UK was good.

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2013, 06:24 pm »
I received it a few days ago,I was expecting much better audio than what I heard.
Sounds very much like AM radio. Wish I had a cd or better yet an LP to compare which I'm sure the LP would sound better as I do have other LP's that sound 100% better.
At least the price from UK was good.

I've got almost all the Stone's catalog on original vinyl releases, several vinyl remaster releases, regular cd's, and several on SACD. None of them rise above "decent/good" sound quality when compared to the best possible sound quality IMO. Sure the SACD's allow you to hear things in greater detail and fidelity, but it's not like they're even close to something like Roxy Music's "Avalon" vinyl or SACD in SQ. I do agree that the remasters of Sticky Fingers, Beggar's Banquet, and Let it Bleed sound pretty decent. It's just a shame that such great music was recorded with such casual regard for fidelity. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2013, 07:03 pm »
The Stones remasters done by Bob Ludwig Sound great. I think his are the ABKCO releases up to Sticky Fingers. I have some in CD, DSD, and HDTracks.
He originally took DSD conversions of the analog master tapes and remastered the DSD for release on SACD.

SQ in descending order:

1. DSD (extracted file from SACD)
2. HD Tracks hi-res (they're based on resample from DSD/SACD master file)
3) CD - based on same DSD conversion from analog masters as above versions, but converted to CD (16/44.1) PCM.

But the differences in SQ aren't huge. They all sound good, even the CD.  Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Beggars Banquet are all great sounding.

+1

Yes, these were recorded in the late 60's but I find Beggars Banquet (DSD rip played back on my Meitner) to be sublime, and one of my favorite rock-genre hirez stereo albums.  LIB is good, too, but not to the organic and detailed level of BB. 

Keith's solo  Main Offender, although redbook, is VERY well recorded...and a killer little rock rhythm guitar album.

Not sue what the BluRay is that was mentioned here; maybe live L&G; if so ok but no way a hirez album...lossy surround stuff and mid-70's concert video.  Decent performances, but not to the audio level of what the OP is asking about.  My $.02

pansixt

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2013, 07:39 pm »
Thanks everyone for the reply's.
Great info and I will experiment. I do have some Stones vinyl but none of the remastered issues, at least that I can put my hands on in my unsorted vinyl selection. :scratch:

I guess sorting should be tops in priority. Only then can I really compare and enjoy.

James

simon wagstaff

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2013, 02:31 am »
I have most of them. I think many of them sound superb. Satanic Majesty's Request, Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Goats Head Soup are my favories. Some Girls, Exiles and Steel Wheels don't impress me sound wise. I am not familiar with much after Some Girls (though I like Steel Wheels) so I can really comment on them.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2013, 02:33 am »
I believe he was referring to "Grrrrrrr". I just got my copy.