3 (15.8%)
Wuts all dis? Bit torrent rulz!!!!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Hypothetical question

Mike Nomad

Re: Hypothetical question
« Reply #20 on: 27 Dec 2011, 11:46 pm »
HDAD's were not SACD and DVD, they were DVD and DVD-A (24/96 DVD-V on one side, 24/192 MLP'd DVD-A on the other).  Hence the HDAD (vs DAD, which was 24/96 DVD-V only).

Interesting... You have found a comparison where I didn't mean there to be one. I was trying to make a distinction between underlying tech (DSD, PCM), and the stuff slathered on top (everything else that takes the tech up to the "branding" level).

Your summation on the difference between HDAD and DAD is mostly correct. To put a finer point on some of this, MLP was a finished product prior to the advent of DVD-A, and was (almost) quietly folded into the spec...

HDAD are not DVD-A compliant. HDAD do need a chip with MLP decoding to be heard. However, HDAD do not need a DVD-A player. Rather they need a _piece_ of what a DVD-A player does.

At a basic level, the distinction is really a load of nonsense. They could have simply re-wrote the DVD spec to allow for the additional playback capabilities. Which is just more grist for Lawyer Layer bashing.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 28 Dec 2011, 12:03 am »
Ted,

OK,  I get it.  "V" does not necessarily mean video. In this case it meant audio compatible with the DVD-video format.  Don't you think that is a little confusing?  :scratch:  I get what you are saying now but it is also very easy to misinterpret what you meant.  My mind went directly to video when I read the "V".

DAD stood for Digital Audio Disk didn't it?  Just checking. English is a funny language (especially when engineers, lawyers, and marketing executives mess with it).  :lol:

Yes, but DAD is not a format, it was a marketing term from Classic Records who did a great job with these discs.  I own Who Came First, Folk Singer, Somethin' Else and several more.  I'm sorry to confuse you but most understand that digital hirez can exist in a few formats (DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, and a variety of 24 bit PCM and 1 bit (DSD) downloads), and just saying "DVD" does not differentiate enough, nor is it technically complete.  The DVD-V 2 channel audio spec is 24/96 max LPCM.  The DVD-A audio spec is 2 channel max 24/192 LPCM or PPCM (MLP). 

I didn't specify that DAD or HDAD were audio only cuz I assumed we were discussing this in a small enough group (owners of said) that already knew that DAD and HDAD were audio only.  My point was that this group of discs has nothing to do with DSD or SACD as I thought Mike inferred, from his DSD lawyer layer wording.  Guess not though.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 28 Dec 2011, 12:17 am »

Your summation on the difference between HDAD and DAD is mostly correct.........HDAD do not need a DVD-A player. Rather they need a _piece_ of what a DVD-A player does.

Mike, I'm not trying to start an argument, but that which you wrote is highly pedantic.  WTF is available that is "a piece of a DVD-A player" but not a DVD-A player??  "HDAD's require a DVD-A player in order to play both sides, or you can play the DVD-V side with a standard DVD player"!!  In what actual real way is that an incorrect statement???  I never meant to imply that HDAD's were fully in spec....simply, in more real terms, that you needed a (whole :) ) DVD-A player to appreciate the 24/192 side.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #23 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:05 am »
Mike, I'm not trying to start an argument, but that which you wrote is highly pedantic.  WTF is available that is "a piece of a DVD-A player" but not a DVD-A player??  "HDAD's require a DVD-A player in order to play both sides, or you can play the DVD-V side with a standard DVD player"!!  In what actual real way is that an incorrect statement???  I never meant to imply that HDAD's were fully in spec....simply, in more real terms, that you needed a (whole :) ) DVD-A player to appreciate the 24/192 side.

Ted,

My bad, I too am not trying to go into argument territory. The string in the thread I was pulling on was in regards to the hardware/software giants are responsible for marginalizing Hi-Rez choices.

What came off as pedantic was my attempt at clarity on a specific idea: HDAD as a format would work just fine on its own, with DVD-A being a load of Lawyer Layer Nonsense (AKA needlessly expensive) .

We're in total agreement: In order for us to kick back and enjoy our HDAD, we have to run it through a DVD-A player. I just did a bad job of showing how unhappy I am about it.

Peace,

Mike

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:15 am »
There's been different brand names for hi-rez PCM on DVDs.  Mellencamp's "Life Death Love and Freedom" has it own thing - http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/30/entertainment/et-code30

If they had albums with hi-rez PCM on DVD (not matter what they call it), I'd be happy to buy the music I like and don''t mind a couple of bucks extra.

Crimson

« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:18 am »
Hey, listen to hi-rez, expect to be called pedantic. Or not. The listening is in the details, dude.

Pedantic.

:P

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2011, 05:37 am »
Mike, thanks.  I understand.  I feel bad now..I was too hard on you.  :oops:

Crimson, you lost me, sorry.  :)

Mike Nomad

« Reply #27 on: 28 Dec 2011, 05:33 pm »
Mike, thanks.  I understand.  I feel bad now..I was too hard on you.  :oops:

Crimson, you lost me, sorry.  :)

Ted, we're good.  :)

Crimson, actually, I do expect to get called pedantic. It used to happen to me on occasion when I was doing the college professor thing.  :lol: