Amp Comparison & Sonic Characteristics - Sound Stage

AllanS

I really appreciate the Amp Comparison & Sonic Characteristics https://nuprimeaudio.com/guides/amp-comparison/ page.  I’d like to understand how to interpret Sound Stage rankings from bottom to top. 

Beginning with the IDA-8 how does the sound stage change as you go up the line to STA-9X/IA-9 and through the EVOs?

I’m considering a desktop application so am most intrigued with the STA-100 and STA-9X or IDA-8 and IA-9 if I decide to go integrated.  I’m not overly concerned about soundstage for the desktop application.  But if the STA-9X and IA-9 are capable of developing a sound stage similar to my current system I’d consider more expensive components that I could swap into my main system occasionally.

My system and room aren’t fully sorted out but, with good recordings, the sound stage has nice width, depth, and height.

Thank you.

rustydoglim

Re: Amp Comparison & Sonic Characteristics - Sound Stage
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2023, 02:48 pm »
Sound Stage (wider, deeper) is the most difficult to quantify and depends on a person's perception.  Other characteristics also affect how one perceives the sound stage.  You will find that the amps that have more power, better dynamic and resolution all have a better sound stage.

But if the STA-9X and IA-9 are capable of developing a sound stage similar to my current system I’d consider more expensive components that I could swap into my main system occasionally.
I would say that STA-9X and IA-9 can compete with other amps costing > $5,000, even >$10K. 

AllanS

Re: Amp Comparison & Sonic Characteristics - Sound Stage
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2023, 05:18 pm »
Thank you.