High level subwoofer connections with monoblocks

genjamon

High level subwoofer connections with monoblocks
« on: 4 Aug 2012, 12:31 am »
Ok guys, I have a technical question. With other digital amps I have had (red wine audio) it was not recommended to connect a subwoofer using high level connections due to the amp speaker outputs not being tied to a common ground and many subwoofer plate amps tying grounds together between channels, or something like that.

Any idea if I would need to worry about this with my mono block ncores? I just rearranged my room and need to use my subwoofer now. Problem is the line level output from my buffer preamp doesn't have enough gain to drive the subwoofer to music levels. I'd like to run from speaker outputs for high level connection but not sure if I might damage the mono blocks doing this.

roscoeiii

Re: High level subwoofer connections with monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2012, 12:56 am »
Why not ask Bruno on DIY Audio? I don't recall the reasons why, but there were no issues with using the speaker level connection for my Class D Audio (the company) amp kit.

At least for REL subs, there are problems connecting with certain types of class D and speaker level sub inputs. REL makes a special cable for these I believe.

Anyway, I wouldn't ask us fools, but instead ask the sub and amp manufacturers themselves. Would be terrible to get bad advice from someone on a forum that leads to things getting fried.

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2012, 01:14 am »
Good point. I'm never on DIY audio forum and thought I'd try here first in case someone knows. I'll give that a try.

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:37 pm »
Just to let you guys know, this worked fine for me.