new Alison Krauss | Union Station hi res

rofo

new Alison Krauss | Union Station hi res
« on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:40 am »
I just downloaded  Alison Krauss | Union Station -  Paper Airplane    2011 release
The quality is ok BUT when I heard heard her sing I thought what a poor choice of microphone for her voice then I realized the guitars were way too bright everything is too bright - they must have monitored the  recording with only a subwoofer :wink: - they did not know what they were doing - or the producer and the engineer have severe hearing loss :roll:

my vote is for the latter.

not recommended

neekomax

Re: new Alison Krauss | Union Station hi res
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:16 am »
Have you heard the CD version? Maybe the issue is in the Hi-Rez conversion, not the recording. I tend to be dubious of Hi Rez downloads, a lot of them seem not to be what they claim.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:14 am »
I only started listening to her because of all the audiophiles recommending her records a few years ago. But then I liked her voice and the band is great. I just ignore the recording quality.  But she has a new engineer for this record:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul11/articles/it-0711.htm

pansixt

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:35 am »
You Ignore the recording quality?

I find the copy that I have to be amazing and clear!

There is a presence, and a spirit in the recording that grabs me. It is very striking.

The copy that I have, could be seen as close to a vinyl version.

James

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:50 am »
I have their double live CD, and the recording is one of the best in my collection.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:54 am »
I have a number of selections I do like quite a bit from a few previous albums, so I thought maybe I'd get the latest album.  But when I previewed the songs on this album, I just couldn't find any distinctive melodies or chord progressions to hang my hat on and it all sounded pretty bland to me.

I think Alison and the band are all very good musicians, but as I've discovered through the years, not every great musician is a great songwriter.  And then sometimes, you just don't have anything musically new to say.

Steve

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:52 am »
You Ignore the recording quality?

I don't have the newest record, but I will eventually get it. I am referring to the previous records in which her mic has more makeup than she.

pansixt

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:09 am »
I would hit it.

And I am not talking about her Mic!!!! 8)

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:17 am »
Hi,

The recording quality of the 2011 release is okay.  I have other cd's that she has recorded and they sound better than this one.

Regards rod

pansixt

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2011, 05:30 am »
I am just a beginning listener.

And, I admit it.

Some of the Sh@#t sounds phenomenal to me.

Rich- I will see you in Denver. I will wear a Capital Audiofest Shirt on Friday.

On Saturday, I will go naked, or wear some other differentiating type of attire. :lol:

James

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2011, 05:59 am »
I will wear my CAF shirt too, I won it in the raffle!!!! Screw the sound quality, it's about the music and she is a hell of a musician we can all agree on that. I love when she plays fiddle chords on the backbeat behind other soloists, and she was great playing live. I did hear her play on Letterman a couple months ago, it was really good.

Rupret

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2011, 11:53 pm »
I agree with neekomax that the double live cd is the best.  I have the new hi rez download which sounds decent enough but the live cd, even though 16/44, stands out.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2011, 12:10 am »
Carolyn and I just saw her Friday night here in Chicago.Great musicians and such a lovely voice. :thumb:She is sultry like most from Illinois  :lol:I would have thought she was a Southern belle but hails from downstate IL.

rbbert

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2011, 12:31 am »
I just downloaded  Alison Krauss | Union Station -  Paper Airplane    2011 release
The quality is ok BUT when I heard heard her sing I thought what a poor choice of microphone for her voice then I realized the guitars were way too bright everything is too bright - they must have monitored the  recording with only a subwoofer :wink: - they did not know what they were doing - or the producer and the engineer have severe hearing loss :roll:

my vote is for the latter.

not recommended

I can't agree with this.  Not only does it sound good to me (especially compared to today's typical over-bright, compressed, peak limited recordings), but a frequency spectrum analysis doesn't support the supposed "brightness".  I have both the CD and the 24/96 download, and they appear to have identical mastering.

There is a double SACD(hybrid) of the live album, FWIW (and it sounds noticeably better than the CD, to me)

djbnh

« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2011, 02:57 am »
I will wear my CAF shirt too, I won it in the raffle!!!! Screw the sound quality, it's about the music and she is a hell of a musician we can all agree on that. I love when she plays fiddle chords on the backbeat behind other soloists, and she was great playing live. I did hear her play on Letterman a couple months ago, it was really good.
Rich, my wife and I saw her last month in NH. She and the other musicians were other worldly. Jerry Douglas can play dobro like no other (Natalie MacMaster does pretty well), and Dan Tyminski (guitar, mandolin and lead vocals) can hold his own, as can the others.

Story: usually one can sing along in a concert. Not so at this one, ushers were "shushing" the crowd. That was a bit different, and I understand her voice is such that audience accompaniment may subtract from a more ethereal experience.

I haven't done the online download, but we've experienced no issue with the CD. YMMV.

tubesguy2

« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2011, 01:56 pm »
Story: usually one can sing along in a concert. Not so at this one, ushers were "shushing" the crowd. That was a bit different, and I understand her voice is such that audience accompaniment may subtract from a more ethereal experience.

If only this would happen more often. Nothing detracts from a live performance by a great singer more than some jackass warbling along off-pitch right next to you. 

Next, let's have some crowd control regarding the "fans" who come to a concert and talk non-stop from start to finish.

Okay, I'll calm down now.