AVA Vision SET 120 Review

AvsFan

Re: AVA Vision SET 120 Review
« Reply #60 on: 6 Nov 2020, 09:07 pm »
Wanted to resurrect this thread. So my two channel system has taken many different turns. It's really taught me some valuable lessons though and it has made me realize what's super important to me when it comes to enjoying music. That being said, I have sold off my Omega HO's. I tried multiple times to get myself to like these speakers. I didn't like them no matter what amplifier I tried with them. I tried the beloved tube amps some suggested and found out that low powered tube amps were not for me either. So back to the hunt for an amp that will power both my ZU Audio Omen's and my new speakers on their way as I type   this. Some Quad S-2 speakers. Read nothing but GREAT things on these. https://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/s-2/

I am assuming the SET 120 will be more than enough but............I am a FIRM believer that there is NO such thing as too much power.  I'll get the SET 400 if need be. Heck I am using Golden Cherry Monoblocks rated at 250 watts per channel on my ZU's right now and love them! 

seikosha

« Reply #61 on: 6 Nov 2020, 10:13 pm »
I really think you should be looking for something with bigger drivers and a larger enclosure.

abuhannibal

« Reply #62 on: 29 Nov 2020, 06:16 am »
Can someone tell me (even if only by comparison to other amps) how much gain the vision set 120 has? In my current setup I would be using it with a passive pre and buffer... right now I have way more than enough gain but I may move to about 5db less efficient speakers down the road. Thanks! 

Rocket

« Reply #63 on: 29 Nov 2020, 11:45 am »
Hi,

I would have thought the Zu Audio Omen speakers would be a far superior speaker than the Quad S2 speakers.  Have you thought about Salk Sound speakers which Frank has used to demo his speakers on many occasions.  :popcorn:

I've only read good things about the Omega speakers although I've never heard a pair.

Cheers Rod

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #64 on: 29 Nov 2020, 01:18 pm »
The gain of the SET120 is about 22 (27 db).  This yields full power out (60w into 8 ohms) with a 1v input.

The gain of the SET120 control amp, with the volume all the way up, is about 40 (32 db).

Dan

abuhannibal

« Reply #65 on: 2 Dec 2020, 07:51 pm »
danielgk, thanks, that is all I need!

AvsFan

« Reply #66 on: 2 Dec 2020, 08:13 pm »
Hi,

I would have thought the Zu Audio Omen speakers would be a far superior speaker than the Quad S2 speakers.  Have you thought about Salk Sound speakers which Frank has used to demo his speakers on many occasions.  :popcorn:

I've only read good things about the Omega speakers although I've never heard a pair.

Cheers Rod

I have had the Quads for 4 days. The ZU's are by far my most favorite all around speaker. If I could only own one speaker, it would be the ZU's. Why I have another pair on order and should hopefully be finished in the next month or so. But the Quads are VERY nice and offer a completely different listening experience compared to the ZU's. Different flavors. Which is what I was shooting for with the Omega/Eaton combo, it just never panned out for me.

And yes, Omega has a great following but it just wasn't for me. They never sounded right to my ears. And I gave them plenty of time to open up. 
I have listened to the Quads for 4 days and LOVE the sound. With time they will sound even better. There is gold at the end of the rainbow!  :D

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #67 on: 3 Dec 2020, 04:59 am »
AvsFan, there is a used SET 400 for sale here on AC if you have not seen it.

JackD

« Reply #68 on: 3 Dec 2020, 05:41 am »
Larry

It's a great match with the latest Don Sachs Model 2 preamp and even a better pairing than with the Supratek Chardonnay. Knowing how Jeff is with his gear it looks just like it did when Frank put it in the box and barely broken in.

AvsFan

« Reply #69 on: 3 Dec 2020, 06:00 am »
AvsFan, there is a used SET 400 for sale here on AC if you have not seen it.

I DID see that. I actually PM,d him! I have been waiting for one to hit the Trading Post, too bad I just spent all my audio funds on a Bel Canto e.one 2.7 DAC just two days ago or I would have bought it! Damn!

IndyJeff

« Reply #70 on: 4 Dec 2020, 09:29 am »
I ordered a Vision SET 120 late yesterday afternoon.   Really looking forward to it.

AvsFan

« Reply #71 on: 8 Dec 2020, 02:51 pm »
I ordered a Vision SET 120 late yesterday afternoon.   Really looking forward to it.

Nice. Of course post impressions once received!

Birdbrain

« Reply #72 on: 9 Dec 2020, 09:22 am »
I've had my SET 120 since April 2019. My speakers are Spatial Audio M3 Triode Masters, an open baffle design with two 15" woofers and a compression driver per side. I'm a retired widower living in the boondocks, so I can and do listen to a lot of music, often at volume levels that would be unacceptable in most households. My SET 120 has had quite a workout since I got it.

I know at some point I'm supposed to get curious about one of AVA's more advanced offerings, or the latest and greatest breakthroughs in Class D or single ended triode technology, and move on from the entry level SET 120. I just don't see that happening. It has all the power I need and makes music sound the way I want it to sound. I don't want to deter anyone from buying a larger AVA amp. I do think the SET 120 is all the amp most will ever need, and the savings would be better spent somewhere else in your system.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #73 on: 19 Dec 2020, 11:12 pm »
I don't feel the SET 120 is any sort of entry level amp. It may be low power int the greater scheme of things, but the sound quality is as good as anything I have heard. I had a U70 for many years. I upgraded the tube sockets, jacks and some of the wiring. I drove Infinity Intermezzo 4.1s to great effect. I loved that amp. The SET 120 betters it in all aspects. I have kind of a whacky set-up. A pair of VMPS RM2 that were a real project. The woofers didn't match and the passive radiators were trashed. I replaced the woofers with higher efficiency ones that didn't go so low. I have a pair of VMPS smaller subs with 500 watt BASH amps.i use a Marantz AVP8802A and the room correction. Crossover is set to 250 hz and goes to the plate amp. Plate amp also has a crossover, 60 hz, and it goes to a 100 watt Adcom amp which drives the woofers in the RM2s. The woofers in the RM2 basically see 60 to 250hz. The SET 120 drives the Neo panels and Aurum Cactus ribbons from 250hz on up.

It's a true tri-amp set up.

Inner detail, dynamics, wall to wall Soundstage. I never thought I would say "good enough" but here I am, living the dream. I listen to a lot of live Grateful Dead, prog rock, rock, jazz and some classical including choral works. The transparency, detail and 3-D Soundstage are stunning at times. Bass isn't too shabby either.

I had an Odyssey Kismet amp as well. I couldn't tell much difference between them. I would leave one in the system for a month, and then the other. Made sense to sell the Kismet and keep the SET120.

SET 120 is hardly and entry level amp.

AvsFan

« Reply #74 on: 22 Dec 2020, 10:17 pm »

Anything yet?

IndyJeff

« Reply #75 on: 24 Dec 2020, 11:50 pm »
Still patiently waiting.     :)

IndyJeff

« Reply #76 on: 7 Jan 2021, 12:20 am »
The amp arrived today.   First impressions are very good.   I only was able to listen for an hour, but I am liking what I am hearing.   This amp is replacing a pair of Monarchy SE-100 Monoblocks.   The SET 120 sounds like a "cleaner" amp.   The bass is deeper and heavier.  Mids and highs are both smooth.   Hopefully, I can get a lot of quality listening in over the next few days.  I will post further impressions after I have had some more time with the amp, but I am very happy right now.

decooney

« Reply #77 on: 7 Jan 2021, 06:56 am »
...  The SET 120 sounds like a "cleaner" amp...   

Will be interested later on what you mean by more bass and cleaner, after its been played for 50-100+hrs.

Perhaps the mids and highs will open up and all frequencies will balance out a bit more once you have some time on it.   

trebejo

« Reply #78 on: 7 Jan 2021, 10:30 pm »
The amp arrived today.   First impressions are very good.   I only was able to listen for an hour, but I am liking what I am hearing.   This amp is replacing a pair of Monarchy SE-100 Monoblocks.   The SET 120 sounds like a "cleaner" amp.   The bass is deeper and heavier.  Mids and highs are both smooth.   Hopefully, I can get a lot of quality listening in over the next few days.  I will post further impressions after I have had some more time with the amp, but I am very happy right now.

Yeah, there were a few things going on yesterday, glad to know you got a good listening hour in there somewhere!

I was interested in the Monarchy monoblocks back in the day, but I never got a chance to listen to them before I got one of Frank's amps. I hope you'll get a chance to post some more impressions.