Achromat turntable mat

henrylr

Re: Achromat turntable mat
« Reply #20 on: 9 Aug 2023, 11:36 am »
Thanks for the info. I'm ready to create the protractor but one question. Two required inputs are inner groove radius and outer groove. Are they the same as inner nul and outer nul?
Thanks

henrylr

« Reply #21 on: 9 Aug 2023, 05:14 pm »
I now understand they are different. After some research I found documents that show RIAA standards with values for inner groove and outer groove and entered those numbers and the dual spec. for pivot to spindle. The program returned values that were quite different than the overhang, offset angle and inner and outer nul values listed in the dual 1249 spec. sheet. I tried different numbers for inner and outer groove and got results very close to the Dual spec.s. Should I go with the results very close to the dual spec.s?

toocool4

« Reply #22 on: 9 Aug 2023, 08:27 pm »
Did you not say, you already bought the correct alignment protractor for your turntable? If so, why are you messing around with this?
You should spend more time playing and enjoying your music, rather than spending time on settings that will make little to no difference that you will actually be able to hear on your setup.

My advice is, go and enjoy your music.

henrylr

« Reply #23 on: 9 Aug 2023, 08:41 pm »
For one thing it is my time to do as I please and, I find it interesting to learn a bit about these calculators.

toocool4

« Reply #24 on: 9 Aug 2023, 08:44 pm »
Correct it's your time. Yes it's good to learn. Have fun, me I am enjoying spinning.

henrylr

« Reply #25 on: 9 Aug 2023, 11:53 pm »
I now understand they are different. After some research I found documents that show RIAA standards with values for inner groove and outer groove and entered those numbers and the dual spec. for pivot to spindle. The program returned values that were quite different than the overhang, offset angle and inner and outer nul values listed in the dual 1249 spec. sheet. I tried different numbers for inner and outer groove and got results very close to the Dual spec.s. Should I go with the results very close to the dual spec.s?
I found an option that allows use of a custom calculator and it accepts inner and outer nul vales. I entered those and results matched the Dual 1249 spec.s exactly.

henrylr

« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2023, 10:41 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a turntable weight for my Dual 1249. What weight would work without damaging the spindle bearing?

Thanks

WGH

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2023, 11:56 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a turntable weight for my Dual 1249. What weight would work without damaging the spindle bearing?

Why a weight? How about a clamp if you are concerned about slippage. Or a Stillpoints Ultra HD1 VU for $659 if you are concerned about record vibrations.

Make sure the clamp/weight doesn't interfere with the auto return. A turntable is usually designed to use or not use a record weight. Using a weight will affect the spring suspension, you could try to solve a perceived problem and actually create a real problem. The wrong weight will press down on the label potentially dishing up the rim unless a lift washer under the label is used.

Look at the Clearaudio Clever Clamp by Lou Souther, who designed the first mechanical linear-tracking tone arm. Available for $40 everywhere.

Pick up the September 2023 issue of Stereophile. The new record player column is called Spin Doctor. This month Michael Trei writes about turntable mats, weights and clamps.
The article will be online in 2-4 weeks.
https://www.stereophile.com/

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #28 on: 16 Aug 2023, 02:27 pm »
Why a weight? How about a clamp if you are concerned about slippage. Or a Stillpoints Ultra HD1 VU for $659 if you are concerned about record vibrations.

Still trying to put lipstick on a pig.   If you want better vinyl sound, buy a better turntable.   

henrylr

« Reply #29 on: 16 Aug 2023, 09:02 pm »
If it's a pig why are there so many positive reviews, Stereophile, vinylengine and more?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2023, 09:25 pm »
Not to put words in Scott's mouth, but I think this is the jest of it. It's a fine enough table for a hobbyist and music lover, but the sound quality out of that vs what you're trying to upgrade is not going to be beneficial long term. It's like decking out a Honda Civic to be track ready vs buying a stock Porsche Boxter. Enjoy the table for what it is, keep it for a second system if you'd like, but you'd likely be better off sound quality wise with a used ProJect or Rega for only a little more $ compared to a decked out Dual.

henrylr

« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2023, 10:03 pm »
How would a Pioneer PL-400 fully restored with all new capacitors compare to the 1249?

WGH

« Reply #32 on: 16 Aug 2023, 10:55 pm »
How would a Pioneer PL-400 fully restored with all new capacitors compare to the 1249?

Before you start spending more money on tables and tweaks...

How many albums do you have? 1000 albums is a good round number when a better table and cartridge should be considered, that is when you figured out you love vinyl and it's not just a wild hair like my Dad would say.

A buddy was thinking about vinyl, got an affordable turntable to spin his old albums and found out his custom digital setup sounded much better. Then he seriously got into reel-to-reel master tapes which blow away digital and vinyl.

WGH

« Reply #33 on: 17 Aug 2023, 12:04 am »
And another vinyl story...

The Tucson Audiophiles regularly meet at members house for a gab fest and we get around to listening to music too. Vinyl was featured at our last meetup. I don't take notes but it was a high end VPI turntable with two tonearms, a moving coil cartridge and a very nice adjustable phono preamp, about $15,000 in total.

I brought over a CD I made from the Beatles Revolver: Special Edition Remix (2022)* made from the 24/96 download.
Our host had a pristine, never played Beatles Revolver mono record from the Complete Beatles Vinyl Boxed Set.
We compared the two versions.

Guess what? We all preferred the Special Edition Remix CD compared to the original vinyl recording.

The CD player was the PS Audio Memory Player linked to a new PS Audio DirectStream MK2 DAC which upsamples everything to ridiculous high levels.
"DirectStream MK2 converts every one of its galvanically isolated input signals, both PCM and DSD, to a high sample rate 50 bit version which is further converted to pure DSD for its final conversion to pure analog."

* Revolver: Special Edition is an expanded reissue of the 1966 album Revolver by the English rock band the Beatles. It was released on 28 October 2022, and includes a new stereo remix of the album by Giles Martin, with the help of de-mixing technology developed by Peter Jackson's WingNut Films.

Read more about the Revolver remix
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/beatles-revolver-super-deluse-edition-review-1234617075/

henrylr

« Reply #34 on: 17 Aug 2023, 06:14 pm »
Has anyone used the Audio Vault spindle oil? https://audiovault.ca/product/turntable-lubricant-adhesive-iso68/

Thanks