• http://forum.adnm.com
NHT Xd wins 2005 'Best of CES' award
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2005, 12:31 am »
nt

Occam

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2005, 12:42 am »
John,

At what frequency does the subwoofer cross over to the sattelites?

TIA

John Ashman

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2005, 12:56 am »
nt

OBF

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2005, 01:13 am »
I don't believe NHT offers the preamp version with their control box, but I'm wondering if you can verify that.  Not a huge deal if not, but it does need to be factored when comparing costs to the DEQX system.  Also, do you know if this has enough gain to use a passive preamp?

John Ashman

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2005, 01:33 am »
nt

mac

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2005, 01:37 am »
Quote from: OBF
I don't believe NHT offers the preamp version with their control box, but I'm wondering if you can verify that.  Not a huge deal if not, but it does need to be factored when comparing costs to the DEQX system.  Also, do you know if this has enough gain to use a passive preamp?

As I mentioned in another thread, DEQX will be releasing two new versions of their PDC, which will include 4-channel digital amplification.  One of the two versions will also include a preamplifier.  They demo'd them at the CES.

John Ashman

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:09 am »
nt

OBF

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:41 am »
Quote from: mac
As I mentioned in another thread, DEQX will be releasing two new versions of their PDC, which will include 4-channel digital amplification.  One of the two versions will also include a preamplifier.  They demo'd them at the CES.

I think you also told me you expect it to cost in the same ballpark as the entire NHT system.  I'm guessing they cut some functionality on the Xd to not only keep the price down but to also differentiate the DEQX units??

Marbles

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:47 am »
OBF,

I've heard from a speaker maker that they(DEQX) will sell him OEM DEQX's that he can (must) lock in the speaker XO parameters and just have the room correction for the end user to adjust.  He can get that at a pretty good discount, he mentioned, but he never elaborated what the disount was.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2005, 03:15 am »
Quote from: John Ashman

Quote from: Rob Babcock
DEQX can't change the laws of physics.

No, but it gives you a complete tool kit for dealing with physics that really hasn't existed before.  Still, the driver/cabinet design is even more critical than ever because now that is more the limiting factor than ever.

Good answer, even if it is pure sophistry. :wink:   I was talking only about dynamics, which should have been obvious.  The steep X-over may improve power handling to a good degree, but what in it's radical new toolkit will make it play as loud as, say, a pair of RM-40's or GR Alpha's?

I'm sure it sounds nice, though.:lol:

mac

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2005, 03:25 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Good answer, even if it is pure sophistry. :wink:   I was talking only about dynamics, which should have been obvious.  The steep X-over may improve power handling to a good degree, but what in it's radical new toolkit will make it play as loud as, say, a pair of RM-40's or GR Alpha's?

I'm sure it sounds nice, though.:lol:

Let's agree on a piece of music to play and whip out our Radio Shack SPL meters.   I'll put my triamped DEQX system up against whatever you've got.   :D  In reality, there's a difference between maximum SPL and what a lot of us relate to as "dynamic range" or "wallop".  In most cases I believe the multi-amped system will excel.  As always, YMMV.   :)

John Ashman

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2005, 03:29 am »
nt

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan 2005, 03:43 am »
I have slender two-way towers (and a pair of subs), so I don't doubt you'll have more wallup, Mac.  I also am not in a space where I can afford the rig you have.  Hell, I can't afford the tax on the NHT/DEQX rig. :oops:  No need to whip it out on my account, Mac- I know you can piss farther.:lol:    So consider my questions as fact finding for the day when I can.  It would be great to be able to hear that rig, but I likely won't ever have the chance.  My wish is to get away from the small-speakers-with-sub rig and move towards a big-speakers-with-subs deal!:P   I would be interested if someone could post some stats on measured max SPL output from the NHT/DEQX.

One aspect of a line array that you guys don't take into account is the perceived increase of loudness that you get from multiple drivers.  Let's say you measure two systems and they both are pumping out 100 dB/A at 15 feet.  Speaker A is a 6.5" two way, while Speaker B is a 16 driver line array.  Which one is louder?  Neither, but a lot of research shows that Speaker B will sound louder.  Why?  Physical S/N ratio.  More drivers gives more direct vs reflected sound for an apparent increase in volume.  I'm sure Danny, Rich or BC could explain it in much more detail than I.

At any rate, there's no reason not to apply the same DEQX techiques to a line array, getting the best of both.  No offense to the nice man from NHT, but many of us will always prefer to go with a "value for money" company like most of our vendors here.  Most people here feel those direct market companies offer more performance for the dollar than the majors.

This have been pretty friendly, so don't take this wrong, but I'm glad to see NHT is getting wise to what many have been doing for years.  A quick perusal of the forums (not just AC) will show that people have been using DEQX, and before that TACT, and some homebrew solutions for a long time.  That's not meant to minimize what NHT has done- I'm sure they'll do more to bring it to the mainstream than Selah, VMPS or GR Research could ever hope to.  They're simply a bigger, more mainstream company.

I've been a digital junkie for years, and the "Messiah of Multichannel."  Hell, I was digital when digital wasn't cool! :lol:   I'd love to have a MC DEQX'd rig with all digital amps and 5 line arrays.  No analog here.  I'm certainly not opposed to things new & digital, so don't go thinking that! :wink:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan 2005, 04:28 am »
Quote from: Marbles
OBF,

I've heard from a speaker maker that they(DEQX) will sell him OEM DEQX's that he can (must) lock in the speaker XO parameters and just have the room correction for the end user to adjust.  He can get that at a pretty good discount, he mentioned, but he never elaborated what the disount was.

Would the owner be able to defeat those settings or know what they are from the software / hardware interface?

Rick

mac

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2005, 04:49 am »
Quote from: Rick Craig
Would the owner be able to defeat those settings or know what they are from the software / hardware interface?
Rick

From the DEQX website:

Pre-Corrected Loudspeakers (OEM Modules)

Loudspeaker manufacturers can implement DEQX Calibrated™certification into existing designs using DEQX's OEM DSP / digital amplifier modules which can be customized to specific physical and I/O requirements. Since the unique pseudo-anechoic measurements are made at time of production, there are no set up requirements for the user. Register your interest in DEQX OEM modules.

You probably only need to order 500 at a time.  :lol:

tex-amp

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:03 am »
Who the heck is Joel Bernstien?

I'm sorry I misspelled your new name on AVS.  It should have been Joel Bernstein.  :oops:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:09 am »
Quote from: tex-amp
Who the heck is Joel Bernstien?

I'm sorry I misspelled your new name on AVS.  It should have been Joel Bernstein.  :oops:

Be aware that there could be someone else parading as "Joel Bernstein".

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #37 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:11 am »
From the DEQX website:

Loudspeaker manufacturers can implement DEQX Calibrated™certification into existing designs using DEQX's OEM DSP / digital amplifier modules which can be customized to specific physical and I/O requirements. Since the unique pseudo-anechoic measurements are made at time of production, there are no set up requirements for the user. Register your interest in DEQX OEM modules.

You probably only need to order 500 at a time.  :lol:

Thanks Mike but you still didn't answer the question. Ever think about politics as a vocation ?  :lol:

mac

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:19 am »
From the DEQX website:

You probably only need to order 500 at a time.   :lol:

Quote from: Rick Craig
Thanks Mike but you still didn't answer the question.  Ever think about politics as a vocation ?  :lol:

I'll carve out just the part you need: "Since the unique pseudo-anechoic measurements are made at time of production, there are no set up requirements for the user."   :)

John Ashman

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:45 am »
nt