odyssey-marantz

fredgarvin

odyssey-marantz
« on: 8 Mar 2003, 07:41 am »
Can anyone contrast the Odyssey sound with the Marantz sound? I like the Marantz  house sound of the quality amps and integrateds in their  lineup, but am intrigued by the universal buzz of Odyssey. Of course many opinions are crafted through hype and suggestion but I am sure that these two amplifier makes are quality. Any info? :D

nature boy

odyssey-marantz
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2003, 01:30 pm »
Fred,

I have listened to many of the Marantz amps and own an Odssey stratos.  The Odyssey is far far cleaner and smoother sounding than Marantz.  It also has much deeper bass response and throws a more realistic soundstage.  Much better choice for a 2 channel system IMHO.

NB

jcoat007

odyssey-marantz
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2003, 10:50 pm »
I have a Marantz SR-19EX surround receiver.  I have used it as the main source of amplification for all five channels and also have used it with an Odyssey Stratos HT-3 running the front three channels in my HT system.  

The Marantz is very good IMO.  For music and movies, I enjoy it, but I mostly enjoy it by itself for movies.  It is very smooth and relaxed sounding but it has some ooooomph when you need it when watching movies.  

The Odyssey adds more bass punch and a cleaner more refined treble.  The soundstage is wider and imaging on 2 channel music is way better.  I recently pulled the HT-3 out and was actually surprised at how much I liked the Marantz all by itself for movies.  

2 channel music is another story.  Stratos all the way.  Now if I could start over, I would have gotten a surround processor, an HT-3 and a Stereo Stratos.  As it is, I have the HT-3 for the front three and the Marantz handling processor duties and the rear two. I just need another set of rears and can have a 7.1 system in a heartbeat.  

There's always something.

Marbles

odyssey-marantz
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2003, 11:03 pm »
Don't forget for a nomenal charge you can have your HT-3 upgraded to dual mono status :-)

Ferdi

odyssey-marantz
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2003, 11:38 pm »
I have had a Marantz stereo receiver (SR1010) since I was 12. I used it for 20 years and then decided I needed something else.

Based on my good experience the first time around, I bought a SR7000 AV Receiver in the hopes of also using that for music. That worked for a while but in the end, it wasn't completely satisfying for music.

I bought a Stereo Stratos and use the Marantz as a pre for music and use the amplification for movies (C, LR rears).

Marantz makes some nice equipment though. I think many would be very happy with their stereo amps for music or the AV receivers for movies.

The Odyssey Stratos is in a different league in my opinion and does not have an equivalent in the Marantz portfolio. The PM 14 probably comes closest for music but is an integrated.

I suggest trying listening to both.