Loving my Off-Ramp, thanks Steve!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Loving my Off-Ramp, thanks Steve!
« on: 11 Nov 2008, 07:31 pm »
I just wanted to post up some thoughts after time with the new Off-Ramp Turbo 3 ...

Steve sent us the unit to use in our room at RMAF.  In a short comparison before RMAF it was obvious that the Off-Ramp was something special.  At ScottF's recent get-together we compared a Bolder modded SB3 running into a Paradisea to the Off-Ramp into the same Paradisea, we had a McIntosh integrated and my Cirrus Monitor speakers.  It was one of those rare immediately obvious improvements, the Off-Ramp simply sounded better.  But I wanted to wait on drawing firm conclusions until I could get it home and do more swapping.

So now I'm back home and have had time to try it out in my room.  I'm using the following:

BPT Cirrus speakers
Xindak DAC-5
Jungson 80wpc Class-A integrated
BPT CPC and BPT cables
Bolder analog modded SB3 with big Bolder modded Elpac PS
lots of GIK panels and tri-traps

I started listening on the SB3 through the analog outs, and as usual loved the sound.  When heard on it's own, the Bolder SB3 is pretty hard to fault.  Next I ran the SB3 into the DAC-5, and used it's tube output.  This was a nice improvement over the SB3 analog outs, both pinpoint imaging and image depth were slightly improved - but the presence layer of imaging felt much improved.  Female vocals felt more like an intimate jazz club, more engaging overall. 

Then it was time for the Off-Ramp using Steve's recommended foobar and the Emperical 1.1 output, and the tube out of the DAC-5.  I'd say it took all of 10 seconds to have me shaking my head - the image grew in both size and precision in every dimension, micro detail was FAR greater, bass felt better integrated, dynamics were significantly improved ... I'd say it was much better in every quantifiable way. 

I wouldn't call this a review, just sharing my opinion.  Now Steve tells me the Pace-Car is even better!  Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a Squeezebox lover as anybody, but it just can't hold up in terms of absolute performance from what I've seen.  Someday soon we'll do some swapping here in STL with a group, and see if everyone else agrees.  I have pretty high confidence they will.

So thanks Steve, killer piece you've created!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Loving my Off-Ramp, thanks Steve!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2008, 10:51 pm »
One question for you Steve, what suggestions would you have for upgrading the power supply that came with it? 

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:01 pm »
One question for you Steve, what suggestions would you have for upgrading the power supply that came with it? 

You have two choices:

1) replace the wall-wart with a 12VDC linear power supply with short umbilical to the Off-Ramp3.  1 amp is sufficient, but 2 is better.

2) replace wall-wart with a 12VDC SLA battery supply

I have been selling some SLA battery supplies, but I have stopped building them in favor the new LI battery supplies I will be introducing in 2009.  These will match the form-factor of the Off-Ramp 3 and Pace-Car 2.

Steve N.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2009, 08:21 am »

You have two choices:

1) replace the wall-wart with a 12VDC linear power supply with short umbilical to the Off-Ramp3.  1 amp is sufficient, but 2 is better.

I have been selling some SLA battery supplies, but I have stopped building them in favor the new LI battery supplies I will be introducing in 2009.  These will match the form-factor of the Off-Ramp 3 and Pace-Car 2.

Steve N.

Hi Steve, how close are you to introducing your LI Battery PowerPak for your Off-Ramp/Pace-Car products and do you have an approximate pricepoint in mind? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2009, 06:36 pm »

You have two choices:

Steve N.

Hi Steve, how close are you to introducing your LI Battery PowerPak for your Off-Ramp/Pace-Car products and do you have an approximate pricepoint in mind? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Robin - have not started designing the new battery supplies yet.  I plan to get something out by summer time.  Pricepoint depends on my cost.  I dont price by competitive comparisons, I price based on my costs.  Probably more than $450 though.

Steve N.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:09 am »
Hi Steve, I've been enjoying my Off-Ramp 3 w/Superclock 4 for a couple of months now and I gotta tell ya I'm in audio bliss here. Right out of the box the Off-Ramp 3 was a stark improvement over my Trends UD 10.1 with the CI VDC-SB power supply. Even with the wallwart power supply, the Off-Ramp 3 both increased the fidelity and layered the sound stage which helps hide them Odyssey Lorelei's. :thumb:

While I was putting some miles on the Off-Ramp 3 (Steve recommends 500 hours), I also auditioned Lee's Locus Design Nucleus USB cable against my Axis cable. The Nucleus simply extended the frequency range of the Axis resulting in a tighened bass and sparkling highs. With the Nucleus bringing out all that the Off-Ramp 3 has to offer, keeping this USB cable was a painful no-brainer. :duh: :drool:

Today, the Off-Ramp 3 & Locus Design Nucleus USB cable combo took yet another step further into my audio nervosa with the arrival of the Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply. It's really hard to believe that this setup could really get any better but within seconds of replacing the wallwart with the SR3-12, I had a deja-vu moment back to the day I first got my BPT BP-2.5 (originally for my TV) and I listened to what a dead silent background could do to both music and my  wallet (the BPT was solely responsible for where I am today). The Paul Hynes power supply's addition, for lack of a better word, totally refined the audio soundstage and not in a subtle way either. :dance: NOW I know just how good Steve's Off-Ramp 3 USB transport really is,,,,,, a high end fidelity source component! Paul installed a Neutrik XLR terminal on the power supply so I could use a Bolder Cable Summit DC cable to the Off-Ramp 3. I'm telling ya Steve, if folks could hear what actually possible with your Off-Ramp 3 (and your other better products I'm sure), there would be a flood of CD players on A'gon. :lol:

My gear is as follows,
HTPC Windows XP w/J.River Media Center using Asioforall on non bit perfect downloads of WMA VBR Q90 :oops: (8278 albums) :dance:

Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/ Bolder Cable Summit DC cable connecting the Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply

Locus Design Nucleus USB cable into the Off-Ramp 3 and a Crystal Cable Digit cable exiting the Off-Ramp 3

Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor

2 Butler Audio TB-3150 tube hybrid amps (6 channels of 150wpc @ 8ohms)

4 Odyssey Audio Lorelei loudspeakers

2 Usher Audio X-616 center channel speakers (front/rear)

Ridge Street Audio Design Poiema!!! IC's and SC

Can't forget the dreaded power cords :lol:
Kubela-Sosna Emotion cords on the Butlers
Bolder Cable Bybee Super Effect Ultra AC Cord on the Sunfire
Virtual Dynamics Testament cord on the HTPC
VH Audio Flavor 4 cord on the Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply

And everything plugged into a highly modified BPT BP-2.5 balanced power conditioner

I am purposely leaving out all the tweak goodies. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

jimiles

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:10 am »
Hi Robin,

I am very excited to read your report, since we have similar equipment.  I recently ordered a PaceCar 2 w/ SuperClock 4 to use between my AppleTV and my B&K Ref 30 processor for WiFi playback of my Apple Lossless music collection.  Needless to say, I can't wait to take delivery of my PaceCar after reading your review!

It was interesting to hear about your experience with power solutions. I also use balanced power, but from an Equitech 1.5Q.  The Paul Hynes power supply does appear to be a tasty solution.

Party On!
Jake
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2009, 05:53 am by jimiles »

Brucemck

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2009, 05:10 pm »

Another user with positive results from upgrading the power supply on a Turbo2 and a PaceCar.

I purchased one of BPTs Empirical Audio tailored battery based power supplies from Chris Hoff.  Chris was easy to work with, and customized the unit to my requirements.  (For example, I have three Empirical units, so he provided a unit with three umbilical cords.)

I A/B compared the BPT unit vs. Steve's standard wall wart power supplies.  The chain is Turbo2 to PaceCar to Meridian 861v4 to BAT75 SE amps to custom built Selah line arrays.

The difference is very real, larger than I'd expected, and important musically.  Given how strongly Steve's products perform to begin with, I wasn't expecting a power supply to entirely digital domain products to make such a positive difference.

Imaging is more defined, there is more "weight" to vocals and instruments, and complex passages are more easily deconstructed.  It's a bit as if a "diffuse whiteness" or "diffuse lightness" was lifted, with a more weighty, less diffused, more "silent black background" replacing it.  It's not hard to pick out. 

The BPT power supply was well worth the money.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:39 pm »

Another user with positive results from upgrading the power supply on a Turbo2 and a PaceCar.

I purchased one of BPTs Empirical Audio tailored battery based power supplies from Chris Hoff.  Chris was easy to work with, and customized the unit to my requirements.  (For example, I have three Empirical units, so he provided a unit with three umbilical cords.)

I A/B compared the BPT unit vs. Steve's standard wall wart power supplies.  The chain is Turbo2 to PaceCar to Meridian 861v4 to BAT75 SE amps to custom built Selah line arrays.

The difference is very real, larger than I'd expected, and important musically.  Given how strongly Steve's products perform to begin with, I wasn't expecting a power supply to entirely digital domain products to make such a positive difference.

Imaging is more defined, there is more "weight" to vocals and instruments, and complex passages are more easily deconstructed.  It's a bit as if a "diffuse whiteness" or "diffuse lightness" was lifted, with a more weighty, less diffused, more "silent black background" replacing it.  It's not hard to pick out. 

You have a much better way of explaining things than I do but it sounds like we were both further blown away with the quality of Steve's products once the power supply was upgraded, you with BPT's rechargeable battery pak and me with the Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply.

Congratulations and enjoy the music. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2009, 01:36 am »

You have a much better way of explaining things than I do but it sounds like we were both further blown away with the quality of Steve's products once the power supply was upgraded, you with BPT's rechargeable battery pak and me with the Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply.

Cheers,
Robin

Paul Hynes is good stuff.  I'm thinking about maybe trying a regulator or two in the Overdrive if they will fit....

Steve N.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2009, 01:55 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Paul Hynes is good stuff.  I'm thinking about maybe trying a regulator or two in the Overdrive if they will fit....

Steve N.

I think you're right Steve as Wayne Waananen of Bolder Cables is using Hynes shunt regulators in his Squeezebox Rebox rebuild. I will say I've never had a power supply make such a drastic improvement as the SR3-12 is doing for your Off-Ramp 3. I've been sporting a grin for so long that it's hurting my cheeks. I'm not use to it.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2009, 02:24 am »
I think you're right Steve as Wayne Waananen of Bolder Cables is using Hynes shunt regulators in his Squeezebox Rebox rebuild. I will say I've never had a power supply make such a drastic improvement as the SR3-12 is doing for your Off-Ramp 3. I've been sporting a grin for so long that it's hurting my cheeks. I'm not use to it.  :lol:
Cheers,
Robin

Hey Robin,  :thumb:

Have you had the SR3-12 cryo'ed yet?  :dunno:  aa

Have fun,
Jerry

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2009, 02:38 am »
Cheers,
Robin

Hey Robin,  :thumb:

Have you had the SR3-12 cryo'ed yet?  :dunno:  aa

Have fun,
Jerry

Why didn't you include the Off-Ramp 3 in that question Jerry? :scratch: :lol:

Answer, it could happen! :D But I'd lose my smile for the 7 days I'd go w/o these gems in my system. :green:

Cheers,
Robin

wilsynet

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:54 pm »
The Off Ramp 3 w/superclock has now had more than a week of break-in.

For those of you who have seen some of my postings in other circles, you know that that I've listened to a number of DACs.  At present, the number of DACs that I've auditioned in my system include the following: Benchmark DAC 1, Channel Islands VDA2, Electrocompaniet ECD-1, Scott Nixon UFO, VALAB 2009, Red Wine Audio Isabella, AudioSector, Ultra-Fi, Beresford, CityPulse, etc.

My favourite DAC out of the bunch has been the Red Wine Audio Isabellina, and it is the DAC that I presently own as an option module in my RWA Isabella preamp.  I've been through many DACs, but no DAC that I've auditioned was both as involving as the Isabellina, as dynamic, and also as smooth and relaxed and fatigue free.  If I had to describe the Isabellina using only one word, I'd say "balanced".

Over the past couple of weeks, I've had a chance to use the Off Ramp 3 with my Isabellina.  The combination is simply breathtaking.  The Isabellina maintains its relaxed, non-fatiguing, analogue-like presentation, and the Off Ramp 3 gives it a superior level of realism and high frequency extension.  I'm now getting the kind of delicate and nuanced treble performance that I've only heard from a good vinyl rig.

The Off Ramp 3 is magic.

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2009, 06:18 am by wilsynet »

GreenLeo

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:43 pm »
Hi Wilsynet,

How do you use the Off-Ramp with Isabellina?  Does it mean that

PC USB output -> Off-Ramp -> Coaxial Output -> Isabellina
              sounds better than
PC USB output -> Isabellina

May you tell what USB cable and coaxial output cable was used as well?  Thanks

wilsynet

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2009, 10:24 pm »
Old Configuration:
Powerbook G4 12" USB output -> Isabellina USB input

New Configuration:
Powerbook G4 12" USB output -> Off Ramp 3 -> Coaxial Output -> Isabellina
Empirical 1.1 device configured for 24/96 in MIDI device configuration utility

Have used both Belkin Gold and the $70 Cryoparts USB cable but didn't find much difference in the past.  I haven't done any A/B comparisons between the two yet in the new setup, and haven't been in a hurry to do so.  I have not tried the Polestar or Axis but may give it a whirl soon.

For SPDIF, I used the Signal Cable Silver Resolution Digital Coax cable.

I have also auditioned the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96, and didn't find that the Bel Canto made anything better, just more digital sounding.

« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2009, 12:05 am by wilsynet »

audioengr

« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2009, 05:18 am »
Old Configuration:
Powerbook G4 12" USB output -> Isabellina USB input

New Configuration:
Powerbook G4 12" USB output -> Off Ramp 3 -> Coaxial Output -> Isabellina
Empirical 1.1 device configured for 24/96 in MIDI device configuration utility

Have used both Belkin Gold and the $70 Cryoparts USB cable but didn't find much difference in the past.  I haven't done any A/B comparisons between the two yet in the new setup, and haven't been in a hurry to do so.  I have not tried the Polestar or Axis but may give it a whirl soon.

For SPDIF, I used the Signal Cable Silver Resolution Digital Coax cable.

I have also auditioned the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96, and didn't find that the Bel Canto made anything better, just more digital sounding.

Wilson - I really appreciate the feedback on the Off-Ramp 3.  You are the first to compare it to the BelCanto converter, which incidently uses the same CEntrance USB firmware.

Any feedback on the BAAS meet?  It's been really quiet.  I was hoping that 11 hours driving each way, hotel and 3 days invested would yield something anyway.  This was as much work as going to a trade show.

Steve N.

wilsynet

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2009, 04:09 pm »
Posted some feedback yesterday on the BAAS thread.  Would love to audition the Overdrive some day in my own home, but I'm of course not ready to buy at this time.  Perhaps next year when I've saved up some more pennies.

Thanks so much, Steve.  You are a gracious and stand up guy, seemingly always willing to share what you know.

wilsynet

« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2009, 05:55 am »
I recently purchased a 12V SLA battery based power supply from Balanced Power Technologies with the optional capacitor supply.  Chris Hoff advised that the capacitor supply upgrade would make a serious difference over any ordinary SLA battery.

You leave the unit on all the time and plugged into the Off Ramp.  When you're doing any kind of critical listening, you switch the unit off which disables the charging circuit and it goes only from battery at that point.  In this mode it should run the Off Ramp for at least 8 hours.  Switch the unit on, and it goes back to charging the battery.  According to Chris Hoff at BPT, the SLA battery should last for 3-5 years before requiring replacement.

I've been using this BPT battery power supply for the last few weeks with the Off Ramp 3.  Thumbs up.  Some real improvements all around, including clarity and sound stage.  What I noticed first were the improvements to bass, which is now more musical and authoritative.

I'm sure the Paul Hynes power supply is excellent, and I wanted to add the BPT battery power supply to the list of recommended (at least from me) accessories for the Off Ramp 3.