My experiences with a modded SB3

Persiflage

« on: 17 Mar 2006, 04:17 am »
I have an SB3 with all of the standard (original) mods. I currently don't have a speaker rig (it's in the works), so I've been listening to my music through a META42 DIY headphone amplifier to Sennheiser HD-580s.

Now, I'm stepping up to the SB3 from an M-Audio Sonica, a cheap USB DAC that runs straight off the computer's power source. That DAC was a huge step up from the noisy integrated soundcard in my laptop. Vinnie's modded SB3 is such a huge step up from the Sonica.

Sounds are sharper and more distinct. Everything is faster, and I now understand what people are talking about when they say "black background". More bass on the low end, and more extended highs. Other people have commented on strings heard through the SB3, and stringed instruments constantly pull at me with their reality and heft.

I'm not sure how long I've run the SB3 by now... probably 120 hours. I don't have anything high-end to compare it to, but it easily wipes the floor with all of the sources that I've used before.

I can't wait to hook the SB3 up to a real pair of speakers!

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2006, 06:40 am »
Congratulations!

My RWA modded SB2s continues to impress even after 9 to 12 months I have had them.  Beside being an excellent stand-alone source, it can be used as a great CD transport.  

If you like it now, wait until it gets a few more hundred hours.  Plus, the better your speakers and amps are, the more you will appreciate the modded Squeezebox.  There won't be a surprise if you prefer your SB3 to players that are much more expensive.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: My experiences with a modded SB3
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2006, 01:52 am »
Quote from: Persiflage
Sounds are sharper and more distinct. Everything is faster, and I now understand what people are talking about when they say "black background". More bass on the low end, and more extended highs. Other people have commented on strings heard through the SB3, and stringed instruments constantly pull at me with their reality and heft.

I'm not sure how long I've run the SB3 by now... probably 120 hours. I don't have anything high-end to compare it to, but it easily wipes the floor with all of the sources that I've used before.

I can't wait to hook the SB3 up to a real pair of speakers!

Hi Persiflage,

Welcome to Audio Circle, and thank you for posting your initial RWA SB impressions!  

Plus, the better your speakers and amps are, the more you will appreciate the modded Squeezebox. There won't be a surprise if you prefer your SB3 to players that are much more expensive.

I agree with Paul, 100%  8)   The more resolving your system is, the more you will be able to detect just how good of a value the modded SB is.

Thanks, guys!

Vinnie

drw

Squeeze three analog stage mod
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2006, 05:34 pm »
ok...so I have "put the burn" on my RWA analog stage mod SB3.
Approx 450 hours and counting.

In my mind the difference to my stock unit is huge.

The < audiophile adjective > is very apparent.
< audiophile adjective > is deeper with greater resolution.
Also, < audiophile adjective >  has  presence unlike the stock unit.

Craftsmanship ?  - Superb.
Value ? - Good.
Satisfaction ? - 100%

Nice work Vinnie.

p.s. - Thanks to Wayne of Boulder Cable for providing me the Fry Kleaner!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Squeeze three analog stage mod
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2006, 11:59 am »
Quote from: drw
In my mind the difference to my stock unit is huge.

The < audiophile adjective > is very apparent.
< audiophile adjective > is deeper with greater resolution.
Also, < audiophile adjective > has presence unlike the stock unit.

Hi drw,

I love it.... audio Mad-Libs!  :lol:

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your modded SB3 and are 100% satisfied...this is of most importance to me and I really appreciate you posting your feedback.

Best regards,