BePure2 vs Song3 BeAT/Encore

whitey019

BePure2 vs Song3 BeAT/Encore
« on: 15 Dec 2022, 05:37 pm »
Jim,

How do the newer BePure2s compare to the upper tier Song3s?  Specifically, the BeAT and Encore.  I've always been partial to 3-way speakers.

jsalk

Re: BePure2 vs Song3 BeAT/Encore
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2022, 07:58 pm »
Jim,

How do the newer BePure2s compare to the upper tier Song3s?  Specifically, the BeAT and Encore.  I've always been partial to 3-way speakers.

This is a very difficult question to answer since all three models are very good. I, too, have typically chosen 3-way designs for my personal speakers. They have some advantages in terms of bass extension and lower distortion in the midrange.  But after listening to BePure 2's for extended periods, I had to question this preference.  There is just something special about Purifi's low distortion drivers...something I've never experienced before.  I loved the sound so much, we just had to do a 3-way version...the BePure 3's.  But if Purifi had not introduced their low distortion 8" woofer, I would have been quite happy with the BePure 2's.

So, on with the comparisons...

The Encores play down to 25Hz.  The BePure 2's play down to 32Hz and the Song3 BeAT's play down to 33Hz.  So the Encores win in the bass extension area, but it is still somewhat close.  While the BePure 2's don't play quite as deep, the bass is extremely tight and detailed.

Since the tweeters are the same in all three models, there is no difference in the top end

In terms of sensitivity, the Encores are 87db sensitive, while the Song3 Beat's are 88db and the BePure 2's are 90db. The differnce between 87db and 90db is equivalent to halving or doubling the power requirements to acheive the same SPL's.

The BePure 2's shine in two areas.  First, the distortion levels are so low with Purifi drivers, they set a new standard in that regard.  It is quite audible and sets a new standard for other driver manufacturers to match.  The midrange is pristine even when the drivers are also reproducing deep bass.  Even though the drivers are 6.5" drivers, their long throws allow for great bass extension and the bass they produce is very tight and articulate.  These are slightly smaller floor standers, but the bass they put out defies reason for a speaker of that size.

I could live with any of these speakers.  But if given a choice, I would likely prefer the BePure 2's because the low distorion midrange is so alluring. It sets a new standard for sound reproduction and I know of no alternative drivers that can compete in this area.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

whitey019

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2022, 12:13 am »
Jim,

Thanks for taking the time and providing a detailed explanation.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2023, 03:31 pm »
I have had 3 pairs of Jim's speakers and the BePure 2s are my favorites.  I actually feel guilty if I don't play them everyday.  They look amazing and they sound even better.  I actually had a pair of Encore 9.5s on order but went with the BePure 2 that were available.  No regrets at all.